PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Crabtree anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't me who is questioning our strategy in securing WR's. I agree with using free agency and trades as the primary methods to secure wide receivers.

Since we have the same number of WR's as other teams, this means that we believe that WR's are overvalued by other GM's who draft, or that there are better values at other positions.
=========
You point out that we used minimal values in drafting WR's. I agree that we did fine in the passing game. IMO, that is because (obviously?) Belichick chooses other methods to secure WR's.

These picks were
First question is what do you expect from those resources?
Not picking WRs isn’t the same as can’t pick WRS.

Secondly, a function of the success of your draft is the opportunity those players have based upon the rest of the roster. If we draft a qb or Miami drafts a qb this year the opportunity is very different. Was the player needed or did others take the job?

So during this period we are looking at WRs
the patriots ranked 1st in points scored 2nd in passing yards and 3rd in passing TDs. Also first in wins, by 19.
They have gone to the afccg 8 of the 9 years, won it 5 of the 9 and won the Sb 3 of the 9 seasons.
They have 7 more playoff wins than any other team and lead in playoff stats by 109 points
3148 passing yards, and 14 passing TDs.
They are 113-31 in the regular season and 16-6 in the post season.
I’m good with the last 9 years of staffing the WR position.

It isn't me who is questioning our strategy in securing WR's. I agree with using free agency and trades as the primary methods to secure wide receivers.

Since we have the same number of WR's as other teams, this means that we believe that WR's are overvalued by other GM's who draft, or that there are better values at other positions.
=========
You point out that we used minimal values in drafting WR's. I agree that we did fine in the passing game. IMO, that is because (obviously?) Belichick chooses other methods to secure WR's.
And also, whatever you want to say about drafting WRs it’s hard to argue it’s had an impact on the team.

IIRC, Belichick had Crabtree at the top of his 2009 draft board, and has gushed about Crabtree many times in the past.

I can't stomach the thought of watching Ravens football, so I'm not sure if the guy still has anything in the tank, but he did catch 53 balls on a godawful passing offense.

His name has not come up at all in free agency, for any team really. Seems like he's waiting until after some rounds of OTAs and minicamps to sign. Worth a look on a one year type deal? Who knows, maybe he can be the next Eric Decker.

Why would we want another Eric Decker???

I agree. I expect our lineup to be Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett.

I'm fine with Crabtree (or another of the remaining vets) as the replacement for Hogan as our #4WR.

And yes, there can always be a trade. When looking at the process, I tend to ignore trades. Sometimes they happen, and then I will pleasantly surprised.
Gordon is not walking through that door.

Wanted Crabtree a few Free Agencies back now no thanks.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Taylor Price, Brandon Tate, Chad Jackson, Josh Boyce, Aaron Dobson
Stick to vets, not a good use of draft capital picking receivers unless it's taking a stab at a late round guy.

IIRC, Belichick had Crabtree at the top of his 2009 draft board, and has gushed about Crabtree many times in the past.

I can't stomach the thought of watching Ravens football, so I'm not sure if the guy still has anything in the tank, but he did catch 53 balls on a godawful passing offense.

His name has not come up at all in free agency, for any team really. Seems like he's waiting until after some rounds of OTAs and minicamps to sign. Worth a look on a one year type deal? Who knows, maybe he can be the next Eric Decker.

BB is not a really good WR evaluator and that's proven over the years in certain guys who he gushed over who are no longer in the league. A HOF HC he is a HOF WR evaluator he's Not! I hope someone else not named BB is doing that.

Last edited:

I think this is the year we get some closure NG:D to our bad luck long overdue. I hope McDaniels have a say about who we draft at WR BB needs to be hands off in the selection process.

Totally different roles and the draft capital used for these players is pretty different. What's the point of listing them out like that? It's old history.

Yes, sign me up for Crabtree.

IMO, we would be interested in him after the draft/OTA's/Mini-camp.....

Stick to vets, not a good use of draft capital picking receivers unless it's taking a stab at a late round guy.

Cousin, I have to agree.

I have no idea why the Pats are not throwing a 5th (they can get one) to get Risahard Higgins the RFA from the Browns. He is more of a deEp threat than Dorsett.
His cost is a 5th and his Salary is $2mm. Yes, the Browns can up it in $ but they just got OBJ, they also have Antonio Callaway
"Higgins was a fifth round pick out of Colorado State in the 2016 NFL Draft. Over the course of his first two seasons, he missed one game. He recorded 33 receptions for 389 yards and two touchdowns. 'Hollywood' surpassed those numbers this season alone. Higgins recorded 39 receptions for 572 yards and four touchdowns".

Now add Dez Bryant with a big chip on a one year prove it.

Nick C. Wake up! " No Days Off"!.
DW Toys

Cousin, I have to agree.

I have no idea why the Pats are not throwing a 5th (they can get one) to get Risahard Higgins the RFA from the Browns. He is more of a deEp threat than Dorsett.
His cost is a 5th and his Salary is $2mm. Yes, the Browns can up it in $ but they just got OBJ, they also have Antonio Callaway
"Higgins was a fifth round pick out of Colorado State in the 2016 NFL Draft. Over the course of his first two seasons, he missed one game. He recorded 33 receptions for 389 yards and two touchdowns. 'Hollywood' surpassed those numbers this season alone. Higgins recorded 39 receptions for 572 yards and four touchdowns".

Now add Dez Bryant with a big chip on a one year prove it.

Nick C. Wake up! " No Days Off"!.
DW Toys

They don't even have a 5th round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday