PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Crabtree anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
IIRC, Belichick had Crabtree at the top of his 2009 draft board, and has gushed about Crabtree many times in the past.

I can't stomach the thought of watching Ravens football, so I'm not sure if the guy still has anything in the tank, but he did catch 53 balls on a godawful passing offense.

His name has not come up at all in free agency, for any team really. Seems like he's waiting until after some rounds of OTAs and minicamps to sign. Worth a look on a one year type deal? Who knows, maybe he can be the next Eric Decker.

IIRC, Belichick had Crabtree at the top of his 2009 draft board, and has gushed about Crabtree many times in the past.

I can't stomach the thought of watching Ravens football, so I'm not sure if the guy still has anything in the tank, but he did catch 53 balls on a godawful passing offense.

His name has not come up at all in free agency, for any team really. Seems like he's waiting until after some rounds of OTAs and minicamps to sign. Worth a look on a one year type deal? Who knows, maybe he can be the next Eric Decker.
He’s still a decent WR. Not opposed at all, but I’d rather wait until the draft. Lots of “NE type” WRs coming out. Unless, of course.......

#SterlingShepard

Last edited:
He’s still a decent WR. Not opposed at all, but if I’d rather wait until the draft. Lots of “NE type” WRs coming out. Unless, of course.......

#SterlingShepard

Crabtree or Nelson+ RFA Rashard Higgins of the Browns was pretty good last year. Cost is a 5th and $2mm. One graybeard that can gain Brady's trust.
DW Toys

I don't think any of them are upgrades over Dorsett.

Nail the draft with 1 or 2 early WR selections or look out for a significant upgrade via trade.

Nail the draft with 1 or 2 early WR selections or look out for a significant upgrade via trade.
And it will snow in July in the year that Belichick nails 1 or 2 early WR selections.

I agree. I expect our lineup to be Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett.

I'm fine with Crabtree (or another of the remaining vets) as the replacement for Hogan as our #4WR.

And yes, there can always be a trade. When looking at the process, I tend to ignore trades. Sometimes they happen, and then I will pleasantly surprised.

And it will snow in July in the year that Belichick nails 1 or 2 early WR selections.
I would expect we draft a WR in round 3 which I consider early and trade for another one if Gordon does not return. If he does return, Gordon, Edelman, Dorsett and a rookie in round 3 is enough to me.

He certainly could be our replacement for Hogan.

. Worth a look on a one year type deal? Who knows, maybe he can be the next Eric Decker.

Another post that shows what you know. It snows in July in many parts of the world.

Unless I missed someone, we have picked only one WR on Day 2 since 2011 (or even beyond). None in the first round. Lets see how well BB (and the entire college scouting dept) does if they actually put real resources into upgrading the position.

Last edited:
Not a big fan of his routes. Doubt he would even make it through camp here ala Decker and Wayne. Pats training camp isn’t for everyone and also a culture shock to some.

Could be wrong ofcourse. Just haven’t seen that crisp timing route out of him that many find it hard learn to stick here.

:) How soon we forget. DOBSON in 2013
===============
"Dating to 2010, the Patriots have drafted a total of eight wide receivers, only two of which ended up playing meaningful football for the team.

The list is comprised of:

• Braxton Berrios
  • Devin Lucien
  • Malcolm Mitchell
  • Jeremy Gallon
  • Aaron Dobson
  • Josh Boyce
  • Jeremy Ebert
  • Taylor Price
Only Mitchell, whom the Patriots drafted in 2016 despite his college injury history and played just one full season in New England, and Dobson, who played three seasons with the Patriots from 2013 to 2015, were factors for the team.

The rest were either lost to injury, cut before the season began, were benchwarmers on the practice squad, or didn't play."

Unless I missed someone we have picked only one WR on Day 2 since 2011 (or even beyond). None in the first round. Lets see how well BB (and the entire college scouting dept) does if they actually put real resources into upgrading the position.

===============
Dating to 2010, the Patriots have drafted a total of eight wide receivers, only two of which ended up playing meaningful football for the team.

• Braxton Berrios
  • Devin Lucien
  • Malcolm Mitchell
  • Jeremy Gallon
  • Aaron Dobson
  • Josh Boyce
  • Jeremy Ebert
  • Taylor Price
Only Mitchell, whom the Patriots drafted in 2016 despite his college injury history and played just one full season in New England, and Dobson, who played three seasons with the Patriots from 2013 to 2015, were factors for the team.

The rest were either lost to injury, cut before the season began, were benchwarmers on the practice squad, or didn't play.

What did I forget ? Dobson is exactly the player I was referring to when I said we have picked only one WR on Day 2 since 2011.

Mitchell and Boyce were the only two there were taken before the 6th round. Everyone else was a longshot. As soon as we consistently start drafting WR in the 2nd/3rd and have a similarly negative record I will be worried about BB and WRs. For now it seems like they have never considered it a priority and liked to address it with veterans that are easier to project into our offense.

Price was a third in 2010.. not trying to make this about semantics.. 2011 was when I stopped looking at our draft record while I was writing the post.

Last edited:
Bad hands and flagged a lot for OPI, no thanks.

Richard Sherman says no.

When Crabtree came into the league I saw him as potentially a dynamic 100+ catch slot receiver.
What he has done in his career and his age and decline have soured me on him. Plus there are the attitude issues.

===============
"Dating to 2010, the Patriots have drafted a total of eight wide receivers, only two of which ended up playing meaningful football for the team.

• Braxton Berrios
  • Devin Lucien
  • Malcolm Mitchell
  • Jeremy Gallon
  • Aaron Dobson
  • Josh Boyce
  • Jeremy Ebert
  • Taylor Price

The rest were either lost to injury, cut before the season began, were benchwarmers on the practice squad, or didn't play."
These picks were
First question is what do you expect from those resources?
Not picking WRs isn’t the same as can’t pick WRS.

Secondly, a function of the success of your draft is the opportunity those players have based upon the rest of the roster. If we draft a qb or Miami drafts a qb this year the opportunity is very different. Was the player needed or did others take the job?

So during this period we are looking at WRs
the patriots ranked 1st in points scored 2nd in passing yards and 3rd in passing TDs. Also first in wins, by 19.
They have gone to the afccg 8 of the 9 years, won it 5 of the 9 and won the Sb 3 of the 9 seasons.
They have 7 more playoff wins than any other team and lead in playoff stats by 109 points
3148 passing yards, and 14 passing TDs.
They are 113-31 in the regular season and 16-6 in the post season.
I’m good with the last 9 years of staffing the WR position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News