PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meyers thinks he has a much higher ceiling

Meyers is an excellent starter. If he played a whole season his pace was a 1100 yard receiver. This is with a QB with accuracy issues. Meyers is a keeper and should start every game from now on.

If we can keep Meyers as a number 3, that would be very good for us. I am not sure how he would fit in with Edleman thugh...I like Meyers though, doesn't drop a lot of balls and has a knack for getting open

If we can keep Meyers as a number 3, that would be very good for us. I am not sure how he would fit in with Edleman thugh...I like Meyers though, doesn't drop a lot of balls and has a knack for getting open
Might not matter in 2021 as the Pats save $4m off 2021 cap hit if hes gone.

Meyers and Harris are great and were buried by a clueless OC intent on force feeding his guys Harry and Michel until his binkies went on IR.

The only other WRs to have 165 receiving yards like Meyers did in one game this year, are all Patriot Hall of Fame receivers. Meyer is not a 3/4. This kid is a starting caliber WR. He should lead the team in WR snaps.

Saying the Patriots have force-fed Harry might be the silliest thing I've seen on this board...ever.

Saying the Patriots have force-fed Harry might be the silliest thing I've seen on this board...ever.

Maybe because you're blind. It hasn't happened as much since he went on IR and came back, but the first several weeks you can't deny all the random reverse-runs or tosses just to get him touches in the game that did nothing.

Can Meyers be a number 2? Idk. I see him as a number 3 right now but can be a number 2 with some consistency. Would love to add a speedster in the draft.

It seems as if the Pats problem at WR aren't the current players, its that they are all being asked to play one level above themselves. If the team had a #1 that would push everyone else into a lesser role, the group would be fine. Meyers, Harry, Gunner, Byrd are a fine 2/3/4/5 (however that falls out) set. Assuming, of course, a starting caliber TE as well.
No they're not.

Brady didn’t bail on him. Meyers was the 4th or 5th receiver last season. Meyers wasn’t the first read on any play. Meyers was also the 4th receiver this year before all the injuries. I guess Brady bailed on him this year too.

I love Meyers. He is good. He is our new Edelman.

You could be right, I just thought I remember reports saying how he was frustrated with Meyers after running routes wrong or something in a specific game (I forget which) and after that he wasn't often looked at.

Main reason I'm saying you could be right is because the reports could all just be pure speculation with no basis beyond a frustrated facial expression seen in a game or something.

With all due respect for Jules, I don't think him meshing with other players is a priority in any way. He's toast

Maybe because you're blind. It hasn't happened as much since he went on IR and came back, but the first several weeks you can't deny all the random reverse-runs or tosses just to get him touches in the game that did nothing.
In 2020, they've thrown the ball to him 51 times (30 receptions), with 20 of those in 2 games - Seattle and Houston, where he caught 13 of the 20 for 113 yard. As for the rest, in 2020, he's run the ball TWICE. First round pick and they're not even trying to get him involved.

Show me again what I'm denying?

In 2020, they've thrown the ball to him 51 times (30 receptions), with 20 of those in 2 games - Seattle and Houston, where he caught 13 of the 20 for 113 yard. As for the rest, in 2020, he's run the ball TWICE. First round pick and they're not even trying to get him involved.

Show me again what I'm denying?

Yup so thanks for proving my point. Forcing targets his way before he went on IR, for a guy with a 55% catch rate and only 8 yards a catch, worse than tight ends get in the league. No need for us to argue on this one, it's clear you're very biased and disagree with dozens of people here who all also think NKeal Harry is a total busy.

Can Meyers be a number 2? Idk. I see him as a number 3 right now but can be a number 2 with some consistency. Would love to add a speedster in the draft.
Byrd has all time speed (around Tyreek) and complements Meyers very well, usually taking up the faster DBs. He should've conservatively had another 5 long TDs this season with all the underthrows from Cam and Stid. I'll be curious to see what the roster looks like at the start of next season. I'd prefer to keep Byrd since he'd gotten a year to learn the notoriously difficult playbook. It's not like John Ross is lighting it up, either.

Byrd has all time speed (around Tyreek) and complements Meyers very well, usually taking up the faster DBs. He should've conservatively had another 5 long TDs this season with all the underthrows from Cam and Stid. I'll be curious to see what the roster looks like at the start of next season. I'd prefer to keep Byrd since he'd gotten a year to learn the notoriously difficult playbook. It's not like John Ross is lighting it up, either.
Byrd and Myers are definitely keepers imo. Now we just have to go out and find 3 more competent WR’ and somehow find 2 TE’s that can catch. That is assuming either Asiasi or Keene show up. Best case scenario, both going into next season on a warpath. The athleticism is there, now they have to learn the offense and get to playing good football!

With all due respect for Jules, I don't think him meshing with other players is a priority in any way. He's toast
I guess that's the first question, will Edleman be on the team next year. I'm not sure, it's a fair point that you make. As the great @robertweathers pointed out in another thread, Edleman has a 4mm salary cap next year, is he worth that cap hit? Another interesting question.

I guess that's the first question, will Edleman be on the team next year. I'm not sure, it's a fair point that you make. As the great @robertweathers pointed out in another thread, Edleman has a 4mm salary cap next year, is he worth that cap hit? Another interesting question.

when Edelman played and we were not drowning in COVID, the offense sermed much better.

of course when izzo played the offense was better.

NESN article:
---

"
— Wide receivers who have more receiving yards than Jakobi Meyers since he broke into the Patriots’ lineup in Week 7:

Davante Adams
Tyreek Hill
Stefon Diggs
Corey Davis
D.K. Metcalf
DeAndre Hopkins
A.J. Brown
Calvin Ridley
Justin Jefferson
Keenan Allen
Allen Robinson
Marvin Jones

That’s it.

Meyers is 13th in receiving yards (609) and 15th in receptions (48) over the last nine weeks. Extrapolate those values over 16 games, and that’s an 85-catch, 1,082-yard season. Only Julian Edelman (twice), Wes Welker (five times), Randy Moss (once) and Troy Brown (once) have matched both of those totals in a single season during the Bill Belichick era."

Meyers is 13th in receiving yards (609) and 15th in receptions (48) over the last nine weeks. Extrapolate those values over 16 games, and that’s an 85-catch, 1,082-yard season. Only Julian Edelman (twice), Wes Welker (five times), Randy Moss (once) and Troy Brown (once) have matched both of those totals in a single season during the Bill Belichick era."
Only 13th? He'd make a solid WR13. In all seriousness, as we all saw he got open easily at times against Howard: last year a 2nd team All-Pro and most likely this year an All Pro and possibly DPOY. Call Jakobi the assistant waterboy for all I care as long as he's in close to every snap.

Bills put Pro Bowler TWhite on Byrd for most of the last game. I'll be curious to see if Meyers gets him this game. If so, expect Byrd to have a good game. This is assuming good Cam (or Stid) shows up.

Minor clarification.... JE11's cap hit is $6.6m and if cut Pats still have $2.6m of his cap charge on the books. Thus if he is cut it's a $4m savings.

With that said if healthy I hope he is around.

Last edited:
Minor clarification.... JE11's cap hit is $6.6m and if cut Pats still have $2.6m of his cap charge on the books. Thus if he is cut it's a $4m savings.

With that said if healthy I hope he is around.
Thanks for the clarification RW!!! Me too, would love to see JE hang around for another year or two and go back to a Super Bowl!!!

Byrd and Myers are definitely keepers imo. Now we just have to go out and find 3 more competent WR’ and somehow find 2 TE’s that can catch. That is assuming either Asiasi or Keene show up. Best case scenario, both going into next season on a warpath. The athleticism is there, now they have to learn the offense and get to playing good football!
We don't need that much to be a functional offense. There's only room for 5 receivers on the field at any one point of time. If we're happy with Myers/Byrd/White as options 3 - 5. and I would be, then you only need one of each of WR and TE.

We don't even need to lock down super elite options. It's a deep free agent class at WR. A guy like Marvin Jones, Curtis Samuel or Corey Davis could probably be had for just under $10M per. TE will be harder to find, but the team looks to be in good position to land Kyle Pitts in the draft if they so choose.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back