PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meyers thinks he has a much higher ceiling

Patsfan1958

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
(edited due to copying a bit too much of the article...)

“I’ve proven to myself that I can do it,” Meyers said Thursday in a video conference. “But at the same time, I can be better, you know? I feel like I’ve had some decent games out there, but there’s so much stuff that I’ve learned on film that if I did this, then it would have been even better (or) if I did that, it would have been an explosive play.​
“So I’ve proved that, yeah, I can make plays in the NFL. But at the same time, the ceiling is much higher than what I thought, or I’m sure a lot of people thought it was for me.”​
Since replacing an injured N’Keal Harry in Week 7, Meyers ranks in the top 20 among wideouts in both catches (41; 18th) and receiving yards (498; 15th) after managing just one catch for 7 yards over New England’s first five games. Meyers eventually replaced Harry in the Patriots’ starting lineup, bumping the 2019 first-round draft pick to third on the depth chart behind him and Damiere Byrd.​
“I don’t think you can watch too much film, because you can’t really have too much information,” Meyers explained. “So maybe you watch film and you missed something last time that you picked up this time, but because you put in those extra minutes or hours, you saw it. And as far as taking it from the film to probably the practice field or something, just repetition.​
The Patriots must make moves to improve their 29th-ranked passing attack this offseason, but Meyers has proven he should be part of the solution.​

Why Jakobi Meyers Believes His Ceiling Is 'Much Higher' For Patriots - NESN.com

You might have quoted more than allowed...

Meyers has always impressed me, never really understood why he was losing playing time, and then seemingly got "rediscovered." Hope he sticks around.

What do you mean?

There are very specific rules that need to be followed when quoting articles. Typically, it's limited to 10 lines or less. This is because of Copyrights and such. This is so the owner of the board doesn't get in trouble.

Ok thanks. It's been a while since I dived into all the in and outs of this forum

He does. He sort of reminds me of Charlie Joiner. Crafty route runner.

Meyers and Harris are great and were buried by a clueless OC intent on force feeding his guys Harry and Michel until his binkies went on IR.

The only other WRs to have 165 receiving yards like Meyers did in one game this year, are all Patriot Hall of Fame receivers. Meyer is not a 3/4. This kid is a starting caliber WR. He should lead the team in WR snaps.

I wonder how many more potential catches have been left in the table due to poor qb play?
Or shoddy pass protection at times. Wynn going down close to the end of the Texans game has been pretty significant. Now Eluemunor was a noshow at practice yesterday.

This doesn't have to do with the LT, but anyway:

Reactions: PP2
This is great news.

I think he's good, always open. Seems he's learned a lot from Edelman on how to shake guys.

With a better QB I'd expect his stats would be much better

This season he's played 8 games where he's had more than 11% of the snaps and got 41recs and 498yds in those games - 82/996 would be a pretty darn good season considering Jekyll and Knoblauch at QB. Still pissed off Cam missed him in the EZ during the Ravens game when he was wide the heck open.

2.15 yards per route run (16th out of 110)
72.4% catch rate (highest for a pats WR since 2016 Amendola)
25th/110 PFF ranked WR

Meyers is a good player on a historically bad passing offense. He can find the soft spot in a zone, beat man & move the chains. He's part of the solution along with a #1 WR & viable TE across from him.

I was a huge fan since last preseason - where everyone played the cliche mindless card "its only preseason". But I saw good potential, and I'm so happy for him that he's shown excellent maturity and professionalism this year. He better be a big part of our future at WR. With another good compliment at WR and anything at TE, this passing attack can work. Everyone thinks you need a big-splash #1. But we never won a SB with that. Those years of Moss didn't win us the big game. Whether it was Brown/Patten/Givens/Jefferson or Edelman/Amendola/Hogan/LaFell/Mitchell, when we have a group of complimentary "#2" WR's we can win.

Wonder set what caused Brady to bail on him. And I'm not trying to start a "Brady doesn't trust receivers" thing, I just wonder what made them not gel. Seeing his numbers suggests that he actually is pretty damn serviceable if not pretty damn good, and that's with a bad passer at the helm.

2.15 yards per route run (16th out of 110)
72.4% catch rate (highest for a pats WR since 2016 Amendola)
25th/110 PFF ranked WR

Meyers is a good player on a historically bad passing offense. He can find the soft spot in a zone, beat man & move the chains. He's part of the solution along with a #1 WR & viable TE across from him.

His skillset suggest he should have really been productive with Brady as the QB. He just didn't get the chance or Brady just didn't trust him enough.

I was a huge fan since last preseason - where everyone played the cliche mindless card "its only preseason". But I saw good potential, and I'm so happy for him that he's shown excellent maturity and professionalism this year. He better be a big part of our future at WR. With another good compliment at WR and anything at TE, this passing attack can work. Everyone thinks you need a big-splash #1. But we never won a SB with that. Those years of Moss didn't win us the big game. Whether it was Brown/Patten/Givens/Jefferson or Edelman/Amendola/Hogan/LaFell/Mitchell, when we have a group of complimentary "#2" WR's we can win.

Exactly. If Brady didn't shun him mid season after Brown got cut, and Sanu came on board, he likely beats Branch's rookie season of 2002's production.

But, wait! Preseason never tells us anything about a rookie! Didn't ya hear? Even though I've diagnosed numerous rookies as "good" while they go through their preseason.

I have no idea what people are so angry at with him. He's good! Sneaky good route runner, great hands, has some size, is improving, and looks like another BB GM. Edelman played QB in college, but this kid at least converted before graduating. Pretty impressive.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back