PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meyers thinks he has a much higher ceiling

I've liked this kid from the start. He catches the ball with his hands and follows the ball into them. I know it sounds simple, but in every NYFL game I watch I see pro WRs trying to cradle the ball into their arms and/or peeking as the ball comes. All Meyers needs now is a QB who can get it to him.

It seems as if the Pats problem at WR aren't the current players, its that they are all being asked to play one level above themselves. If the team had a #1 that would push everyone else into a lesser role, the group would be fine. Meyers, Harry, Gunner, Byrd are a fine 2/3/4/5 (however that falls out) set. Assuming, of course, a starting caliber TE as well.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
He seemed to always be open in his rookie preseason with stidham at qb. I think he was stidham’s binkie. He showed potential that wasn’t developed once regular season came around....frustratingl.

2.15 yards per route run (16th out of 110)
72.4% catch rate (highest for a pats WR since 2016 Amendola)
25th/110 PFF ranked WR

Meyers is a good player on a historically bad passing offense. He can find the soft spot in a zone, beat man & move the chains. He's part of the solution along with a #1 WR & viable TE across from him.
Yep...plus a #2 WR...plus another viable TE...

I've liked this kid from the start. He catches the ball with his hands and follows the ball into them. I know it sounds simple, but in every NYFL game I watch I see pro WRs trying to cradle the ball into their arms and/or peeking as the ball comes. All Meyers needs now is a QB who can get it to him.

Agree. The kid is already the caliber of a 1000 yard receiver.

Wonder set what caused Brady to bail on him. And I'm not trying to start a "Brady doesn't trust receivers" thing, I just wonder what made them not gel. Seeing his numbers suggests that he actually is pretty damn serviceable if not pretty damn good, and that's with a bad passer at the helm.
Perhaps he just simply needed another year to assimilate to the offense; Brady or no Brady.

Perhaps he just simply needed another year to assimilate to the offense; Brady or no Brady.

Agreed but it is not just 1 more year. Next year he will take another leap forward with a full off season and a full training camp. Brady was not upset at Myers but wanted to win and knew Myers would take 1 or 2 more seasons to be good. This is very normal.

But on PatsFans a player is a bust if he takes 2 or 3 years to develop.

In most cases it takes 2 or 3 years to evaluate players. And that works both ways. Look at Lamar Jackson. They handed him a MVP trophy, and now, even with a much easier schedule, he's struggling to lead his team to an extra playoff spot.

Big game today. He showed vs. a heavy man scheme & elite CBs he can make plays.

Meyers is now on pace for 84 receptions & 1,001 yards (with a 72% catch rate) as a starter. Has the potential to be more than a WR3 on a good offense IMO.

Weird anomaly, Meyers has more TD passes (1) than TD catches (0) in 2 full seasons. I’ve never seen a young WR, who has 65+ catches in his career, NOT catch a TD pass in two full seasons, so bizarre. Then again, Pat’s receivers have 4 TD catches all year. N’Keal leads with 2.

Weird anomaly, Meyers has more TD passes (1) than TD catches (0) in 2 full seasons. I’ve never seen a young WR, who has 65+ catches in his career, NOT catch a TD pass in two full seasons, so bizarre. Then again, Pat’s receivers have 4 TD catches all year. N’Keal leads with 2.

newton magic, or lack thereof!

What's more frustrating is that he scored 2 in the first preseason game last year.

What's more frustrating is that he scored 2 in the first preseason game last year.
that was with Stidham, Stidham isn't playing, Cam is the starter and Cam can't throw, so you have a fumbling RB as QB, its almost the 8 world wonder if a WR gets an opportunity to catch a TD with Cam under center...

Last edited:
Wonder set what caused Brady to bail on him. And I'm not trying to start a "Brady doesn't trust receivers" thing, I just wonder what made them not gel. Seeing his numbers suggests that he actually is pretty damn serviceable if not pretty damn good, and that's with a bad passer at the helm.
Brady didn’t bail on him. Meyers was the 4th or 5th receiver last season. Meyers wasn’t the first read on any play. Meyers was also the 4th receiver this year before all the injuries. I guess Brady bailed on him this year too.

I love Meyers. He is good. He is our new Edelman.

Brady didn’t bail on him. Meyers was the 4th or 5th receiver last season. Meyers wasn’t the first read on any play. Meyers was also the 4th receiver this year before all the injuries. I guess Brady bailed on him this year too.

I love Meyers. He is good. He is our new Edelman.

Or Baldwin. Nice to have one of those.

A lot of good info in here per usual, especially wrt Meyers, but it highlights how infuriating the Tebow throws are. The Jakobi TD to Rex in the howling wind might be the most difficult completed pass a Pats QB has done this season.

It seems as if the Pats problem at WR aren't the current players, its that they are all being asked to play one level above themselves. If the team had a #1 that would push everyone else into a lesser role, the group would be fine. Meyers, Harry, Gunner, Byrd are a fine 2/3/4/5 (however that falls out) set. Assuming, of course, a starting caliber TE as well.
I think this has been the case for 3 years.

I think this has been the case for 3 years.
Moss was pretty much the only prototypical #1 WR the team's had in the Belichick era, so I'd say almost 17 of the last 20ish.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back