PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Message to Wes Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you agree with my post because he was not open because as I said the game plan was not designed to get him open.

BB: "ok, on this play Wes you are supposed to go out five yards, and then, depending on whether they are blitzing or not, get un-open."

idoso.jpg

Off the Grid I post a thread stating that Wes Welker was not made a major part of the game plan intentionally. I based that on the fact that he had his worst performance since game 16 of 2009 which he played a quarter in.

He does this after a offseason filled with contract issues and you post a stupid picture?

If you are going to attempt to make me look dumb at least do it with football knowledge.

BB: "ok, on this play Wes you are supposed to go out five yards, and then, depending on whether they are blitzing or not, get un-open."

no the point is that if the gameplan is not designed to get him open he cannot get open alone.

Did you think this after his 2 catch 22 yd game vs KC last November or 4/41 yarder vs Denver. Oh yeah cause he had 8 catches 115 yds 2 TD's the next game vs Philly, and 12/138 vs Miami.

No I think he had 2 for 22 because it was a blow out 34-3 and he didn't play the second half.

It seems like he was targeted much less than usual. I doubt it was intentional to gameplan him out, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see the gameplans this year use him much less. I think it's more about an effective running game than anything. A lot of his catches are high percentage 5-7 yard gains. If you have a RB who can get those type of gains consistently it'll naturally take out some of those pass plays. If Ridley stays on pace for 1200+ yds, Welker likely won't be getting another 100 catch season.

No team is going to trade for Welker and not because of his stats. It is because of his franchise tag. He can not sign a new deal again till March.

Before you bring up Moss his salary was 1.5 million(Vikes cap hit was 1.12 million)

Welkers salary is 9.5 million, that is a hell of a lot more to take on.

I think we franchised him with the intent on having him play well. I think however he may have had issue during camp especially after Hernandez deal which coincided with him needing to tend to a personal matter.

That leads us to what happen yesterday. It isn't even the 3-14 as much as the reduction in snaps to Edelman that makes me wonder if something in house is going on.

I am thinking that leaving Welker out of the game plan was intended by the coaching staff yesterday. It made things very clear that if we do not design ways to get the ball into his hands he is not a Calvin Johnson type receiver who can find ways to make plays.

Welker should understand his role and what his skill set is. Playing with Brady and having plays designed by are OC's to get him the ball in situations that he can make plays have benefited him however his skill set does not translate to all schemes and quarterbacks. He cannot expect to get paid like Johnson or Fitzgerald because he is not a talent like them.

This is in no way meant to knock Welker, he is a great player for US but I think he should recognize that and accept a team friendly offer and finish his career here where he can be successful.
Meeting of Patriots staff in game planning for the Titans:

BB: that Welker guy has rejected all the reasonable contact offers that we gave to him.
Josh McD: then why don't we teach him a lesson
BB: OK, we will only include him in 65% of the snaps
TFB: And I'll just throw him low balls and fast balls that will hit him in the face mask.
Bob Kraft enters the room.

BB: we were just dicussing the game plan built around teaching Welker a lesson.
RK: do you think we can win doing that?
BB, Josh McD, TFB: Hell yes!!!
RK: Well that sounds like a fine idea, let's do it.

:eek:
thumbnail.aspx

Last edited:
So, Curran thinks Welker will be used significantly less this year?

Isn't that what BBass is saying?

If he'd have said something like "with Lloyd and the running game, Welker may not get as many touches, or even reps, this year", he'd probably not have gotten any argument. Instead, he went off and clowned himself with comments about a supposed inability to get open, the comparison to Calvin Johnson and the really stupid comments about both a supposed inability for his game to work with other schemes and QBs, and what he can expect to get paid.

The point of my thread is reliant on gameplan he is not a WR who you can get open on his own. He is seeking a contract that would be in the neighborhood of the receivers who can.

Why not utilize his on the field performance as a negotiating platform? Obviously he was not needed to win the game.

We utiliize him less and if he walks its not a huge transition, if he stays we bring down his value because his stats no longer justify a huge contract either.

The NFL is a business. BB is not like DI or Off the Grid he doesn't make his decisions based on his overwhelming love for the player or what they have done in years past.

Meeting of Patriots staff in game planning for the Titans:

BB: that Welker guy has rejected all the reasonable contact offers that we gave to him.
Josh McD: then why don't we teach him a lesson
BB: OK, we will only include him in 65% of the snaps
TFB: And I'll just throw him low balls and fast balls that will hit him in the face mask.
Bob Kraft enters the room.

BB: we were just dicussing the game plan built around teaching Welker a lesson.
RK: do you think we can win doing that?
BB, Josh McD, TFB: Hell yes!!!
RK: Well that sounds like a fine idea, let's do it.

:eek::eek::eek:

Or they think he is going to walk after this season so they made the intelligent decision to begin utilizing a offense that does not rely on him So in 2013 they are not scrambling to replace him. In the meantime he can be a very good complementary player in 2012 but not impossible to replace in 2013

The point of my thread is reliant on gameplan he is not a WR who you can get open on his own.

Welker can get open on his own. Only fools think otherwise. The tape is too easy to see for proof.

He is seeking a contract that would be in the neighborhood of the receivers who can.

Welker was not seeking a contract in the same neighborhood with the receivers you mentioned.

Why not utilize his on the field performance as a negotiating platform? Obviously he was not needed to win the game.

The only Patriot that is "needed" to win regular season games is Brady.

We utiliize him less and if he walks its not a huge transition, if he stays we bring down his value because his stats no longer justify a huge contract either.

So you think the team should harm its prospects this year so that it might save some money next year?

The NFL is a business. BB is not like DI or Off the Grid he doesn't make his decisions based on his overwhelming love for the player or what they have done in years past.

I won't speak for OTG, but I don't have any overwhelming love for any football player. Welker is simply the best slot WR in the game, and your post was ridiculous.

If he'd have said something like "with Lloyd and the running game, Welker may not get as many touches, or even reps, this year", he'd probably not have gotten any argument. Instead, he went off and clowned himself with comments about a supposed inability to get open, the comparison to Calvin Johnson and the really stupid comments about both a supposed inability for his game to work with other schemes and QBs, and what he can expect to get paid.

I said that? Really because I think I said he was a good player but benefited from are scheme and Tom Brady.

DI the truth is your just a ******* ******* who looks for any reason to disagree with anyone and if you ever called me stupid to my face I would make you look like Tom Brady after taking that knee to the face. Those are the facts.

The point of my thread is reliant on gameplan he is not a WR who you can get open on his own. He is seeking a contract that would be in the neighborhood of the receivers who can.

That right there shows me you have no idea about Welker. He gets open a lot on his own. Watching the game again tonight, the Titans had a DB and LB on Welker on most of his snaps.

Welker can get open on his own. Only fools think otherwise. The tape is too easy to see for proof.

Welker was not seeking a contract in the same neighborhood with the receivers you mentioned.

The only Patriot that is "needed" to win regular season games is Brady.

So you think the team should harm its prospects this year so that it might save some money next year?

I won't speak for OTG, but I don't have any overwhelming love for any football player. Welker is simply the best slot WR in the game, and your post was ridiculous.

I think the team should prepare now for the future like it always has. Thats why we remain competitive year in and year out. Did the Seymour trade help us that year? No but long term it has.

You cannot center your offense around a player who is not going to be here.

Obviously he is seeking a higher contract then we offered. Which would put him in that category.

That right there shows me you have no idea about Welker. He gets open a lot on his own. Watching the game again tonight, the Titans had a DB and LB on Welker on most of his snaps.

I know a lot about Welker. I know we set picks, screens, disguised formations to get him open. We didn't do that yesterday which resulted in 3 catch for 14 yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes