PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Message To Coach: PLEASE bench Lowe

We don't really know if Anderson can play left tackle and I seriously doubt he would be an upgrade over Brown. McDermott and Onwenu were hurt. I am happy McDermott is back. Lowe doesn't appear as bad (to me) as some posters argue. Last game against all pro pass rusher. I don't know how many sacks Crosby got. I remember 2. One was on Brown, who was beat on a quick inside move. Let's remember the other guys are playing also. The other was the safety. Crosby had to travel a long way and the ball should have been gone, Lowe clearly whiffed. Crosby was not rampant as he was in his previous game.
1) No one said that Anderson is better than Brown.

2) If Anderson can't play LT, then he should be waived.

3) I believe that McDermott or Onwenu is a significant improvement over Lowe.

4) If Anderson is healthy enough to start at LT, the option is there to move Brown to RT where the improvement would be from someone who should selling burgers to a pro-bowler.

5) I believe that Lowe grades out at among the worst in the NFL.

We don't need to release him; heck he can still be on the 53, he just CANNOT start another game for a long, long time.
I agree and wasn't suggesting releasing Lowe, my point was that even though he hasn't played very well, the state of the OT position in the NFL these days is that he would be picked up by someone, probably pretty quickly, just like the Pats picked him up at the end of training camp when it was apparent that they couldn't count on Rieff or Anderson or Sow and they had released McDermott. Hey even with Anderson, I've been relying on the fact that he started a few games last year and only committed one penalty, and they liked him well enough to sign him.

Lowe, Anderson, Wheatley, and McDermott are currently end of the roster type guys off what I've seen so far. It wouldn't surprise me if they are still thinking that Sow is an option, but he is obviously not ready and it seems likely to me that Wheatley and perhaps Lowe are in the same boat. The Pats need OTs just like it seems almost every team in the league does, so yes they may as well hang onto Lowe and those other guys until they are sure they have replacements that are better than them.

So far I've seen no one in either the potential free agency pipeline or draft for 2024 at OT, and in particular for LT1, that would be worthy of either a huge cash outlay or a top 5 pick. Still a lot of football left to play this year so especially in regard to the draft that could certainly be different next April. Let's hope so.

Also I don't like being the "woulda coulda" type here but given how this has played out this year, I wish they had taken Wanya Morris (92) or Nick Saldiveri (103) or Blake Freeland (106) instead of Mapu at 76 (especially after watching Michael Mayer last Sunday, I thought Mapu was the type they would use to not let a TE rumble free on them like he did in the first half). Jake Andrews at 107 instead of Dawand Jones (111) and then a kicker at 112 instead of Carter Warren (120) is even more disappointing with our 20:20 hindsight.

Reminder, Anderson reported to camp sick and was on the NFI list through almost all of camp. He was activated end of August, just before season started. He has not played well at any time since.

Any post here that expects Anderson to contribute at either LT or RT is out of touch with reality.

He‘s not going to be part of the solution.

Why would anyone want to bench Derek Lowe? He was a good dirtdog who threw pretty well for us.
From a different Derek Lowe, this entry on Dioxygen Diflouride (aptly named FOOF, or as he termed it “Satan's kimchi”), in his “Things I Won’t Work With” blog, was precious:

At seven hundred freaking degrees, fluorine starts to dissociate into monoatomic radicals, thereby losing its gentle and forgiving nature. But that's how you get it to react with oxygen to make a product that's worse in pretty much every way.

The great majority of Streng's reactions have surely never been run again. The paper goes on to react FOOF with everything else you wouldn't react it with: ammonia ("vigorous", this at 100K), water ice (explosion, natch), chlorine ("violent explosion", so he added it more slowly the second time), red phosphorus (not good), bromine fluoride, chlorine trifluoride (say what?), perchloryl fluoride (!), tetrafluorohydrazine (how on Earth. . .), and on, and on. If the paper weren't laid out in complete grammatical sentences and published in JACS, you'd swear it was the work of a violent lunatic. I ran out of vulgar expletives after the second page. A. G. Streng, folks, absolutely takes the corrosive exploding cake, and I have to tip my asbestos-lined titanium hat to him.

All the other entries in that blog are equally entertaining and worth a read, if you’re enough of a geek.

https://www.science.org/content/blog-post/things-i-won-t-work-dioxygen-difluoride

Also I don't like being the "woulda coulda" type here but given how this has played out this year, I wish they had taken Wanya Morris (92) or Nick Saldiveri (103) or Blake Freeland (106) instead of Mapu at 76 (especially after watching Michael Mayer last Sunday, I thought Mapu was the type they would use to not let a TE rumble free on them like he did in the first half). Jake Andrews at 107 instead of Dawand Jones (111) and then a kicker at 112 instead of Carter Warren (120) is even more disappointing with our 20:20 hindsight.
Are any of those tackles doing anything other than Dawand?

By the way, the Patriots went run heavy on D and Mapu didn't see a snap.

Looks like Freeland has done the best of the group I mentioned, 3 starts (2 at LT), 208 snaps, no penalties, 1 sack allowed. Overall grade of 59.5 from PFF, but 75.4 last Sunday against the Jags, playing RT

Lowe has 314 snaps, overall grade 41.9 (1 penalty, 4 sacks), Anderson is 154 snaps and 44.6 (1 penalty, 1 sack)

I agree and wasn't suggesting releasing Lowe, my point was that even though he hasn't played very well, the state of the OT position in the NFL these days is that he would be picked up by someone, probably pretty quickly, just like the Pats picked him up at the end of training camp when it was apparent that they couldn't count on Rieff or Anderson or Sow and they had released McDermott. Hey even with Anderson, I've been relying on the fact that he started a few games last year and only committed one penalty, and they liked him well enough to sign him.

Lowe, Anderson, Wheatley, and McDermott are currently end of the roster type guys off what I've seen so far. It wouldn't surprise me if they are still thinking that Sow is an option, but he is obviously not ready and it seems likely to me that Wheatley and perhaps Lowe are in the same boat. The Pats need OTs just like it seems almost every team in the league does, so yes they may as well hang onto Lowe and those other guys until they are sure they have replacements that are better than them.

So far I've seen no one in either the potential free agency pipeline or draft for 2024 at OT, and in particular for LT1, that would be worthy of either a huge cash outlay or a top 5 pick. Still a lot of football left to play this year so especially in regard to the draft that could certainly be different next April. Let's hope so.

I don't think that was Mapu. He played very few snaps. Good old #2 was seen 5 yards in trail of most of those Mayer completions.

Totally out of his depth , there maybe a player in there somewhere but he is nowhere ready for the responsibility

Lowe should be working at Lowes not in the NFL.
Lowe should be at LT not at RT. LT is where he spent the ENTIRE pre-season.

It's well known that the two positions are not the same and that there are Tackles who can only play one or the other.

Brown is, by far, their best RT option. They should put him there. Let Anderson and Lowe fight it out at LT.

While it will be a downgrade at LT, the over-all should be better and allow the offense to do better. Either that or put Pharoah Brown on the field to chip whomever is lined up across from Lowe/Anderson/McDermott on EVERY play.

I'm an unabashed homer whose preseason binkie was Mcdermott. He had a terrible preseason, deserved to be released, and I'm happy he's back. He isn't great, not even good.... I'm fine with people calling him mediocre. All I know is that when he was inserted last year, it coincided with the line solidifying.... again our line wasn't necessarily good, but (scientifically speaking) it was solid.

Right now, it's a liquid.

I'm an unabashed homer whose preseason binkie was Mcdermott. He had a terrible preseason, deserved to be released, and I'm happy he's back. He isn't great, not even good.... I'm fine with people calling him mediocre. All I know is that when he was inserted last year, it coincided with the line solidifying.... again our line wasn't necessarily good, but (scientifically speaking) it was solid.

Right now, it's a liquid.

A low boiling point liquid ... evaporates easily when heated

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST