McGinest: Frigid Playoff Game Against Titans Sent Players to the Hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
McGinest: Frigid Playoff Game Against Titans Sent Players to Hospital

Ian Logue

With a severe cold front coming into Kansas City this weekend, there's likely to be a fair amount of talk this week about the conditions being tough when the Patriots battle the Chiefs Sunday night.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

At what point could the league postpone a game due to frigid temperatures? Now obviously the freezing cold will hurt the Chiefs more than the Pats. But what about the 80,000 fans?

At what point could the league postpone a game due to frigid temperatures? Now obviously the freezing cold will hurt the Chiefs more than the Pats. But what about the 80,000 fans?
The Bengals and was it SD played with a -59 degree wind chill (-9 temp). They aren’t postponing the game.
You do realize people go skiing all the time when it is below zero. Dress warmly. Players are the ones with the issue.

i

i

(The coldest in terms of air temperature was the Ice Bowl.) Air temperature was −9 °F (−22.8 °C), but the wind chill, factoring in a sustained wind of 27 miles per hour (43 km/h), was −37 °F or −38.3 °C (calculated as −59 °F or −50.6 °C using the now outdated wind chill formula in place at the time).

Scumbagdell COULD postpone this game using Article 46-Pansy Clause. Wouldn't put it past the rotten scumbag jerkoff CRIMINAL

Not sure that it will hurt the Chiefs more. They’ve played in cold games in places like Denver it’s not like they’re in south Florida or SoCal all the time.

The Min/Sea playoff game a few years ago in Minneapolis was something like 4 below and it’s not going to get that cold at Arrowhead.

Not sure that it will hurt the Chiefs more. They’ve played in cold games in places like Denver it’s not like they’re in south Florida or SoCal all the time.

The Min/Sea playoff game a few years ago in Minneapolis was something like 4 below and it’s not going to get that cold at Arrowhead.
As long as it slows Hill’s azz down, it will be cold enough. He is the X factor - hope he personally hates the cold.

I'll start out by saying that I've never played football in single digit (F) temperatures with negative wind chills (other than in my backyard as a kid when the objective was just to roll around in the snow).

But, each of these teams plays outdoors and is no stranger to bad weather games at home and on the road. So, I think any advantage will go to the team that is mentally tougher, more experienced in a lousy weather Playoff environment and better coached. In this case, that's the Pats. I think the weather is worth at least a FG and maybe a TD in their direction...in other words, enough to level off the Chiefs' home field edge.

Perfect weather for playing hockey on the lake.

Get your long johns on and get out there by's!!

mid teens with little wind...not that bad

I was in attendance at that TEN playoff game.
Dress properly and it's not a problem at all. You'll be cold, but there's little danger of any damage if you dress properly. And for that matter, the only parts of me that were cold were fingers and toes. Everything else was fine. I had on lots of layers and a balaclava, mind you.

Reactions: Ian

Kansas City is a cold weather NFL city. Not as much snow as the northeast but it can be frigid in January and there’s no such thing as a warm playoff game in KC

I think people don’t realize it because the Chiefs rarely host playoff games, especially this late in the year

Average January temp in KC is only 2 degrees warmer than Boston

Boston is latitudinally 191 miles north of KC.
KC is 600 ft higher above sea level than Foxborough.
And chief fans each carry 60-100 pounds extra insulation and wear bbq stained clothing that repels windchill

I guarantee we see 100s of red painted man boobs and bullseye pot bellies on TV Sunday.

And listen for mooing. Chiefs gals love to moo when they pee in the men’s urinals

Last edited:
I shudder to think about how COLD the fans felt during the Ice Bowl WITHOUT the technology we have today (thermals, balaclavas, windbreakers, and etc..).

I shudder to think about how COLD the fans felt during the Ice Bowl WITHOUT the technology we have today (thermals, balaclavas, windbreakers, and etc..).
They still had balaclavas and ski masks. And heavy coats

But yeah, that was rough

The NFC championship game in 2007 had kickoff temp at -1, and with wind chill it was -23. Apparently Tynes suffered some permanent foot damage after that game.

It is possible that the outcome of this game might be determined by the kickers. Hope the Patriots are doing everything possible to help Gostkowsky and his foot for this game. (also hopefully Allen is up for it as well, as field position will likely be very important).

PS: oops, missed the other thread discussing this game

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back