PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCown Offers Bold Julian Edelman Take

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to hear BB or TB12 honest opinion on this, presuming they weren't required to do their PR duties or respect their friendship.

I guess you could look at JE11's contract and make an opinion based on market value, but then Brady would be like the 15th best QB.

On that list, Julio is the only one who has LOST as many super bowls as Jules.

Would love to hear BB or TB12 honest opinion on this, presuming they weren't required to do their PR duties or respect their friendship.

I guess you could look at JE11's contract and make an opinion based on market value, but then Brady would be like the 15th best QB.

On that list, Julio is the only one who has LOST as many super bowls as Jules.

Or you could look Edelman's contract, see the talent per dollar value and how that benefits the team elsewhere.

Cap hit + production + leadership + clutch on the big stages = best in the league.

Trying to ask Julian Edelman to be Julio Jones or vice versa is about as rational as asking a kicker to play safety.

As one example, looking specifically at the playoffs:

Julio Jones: 8 games, 17 of 19 on 3rd and 4th downs, for 13 first downs
Julian Edelman: 18 games, 35 of 49 on 3rd and 4th downs, for 33 first downs

No No No. So wrong. Jules gets open against the best coverages. Man on man or Zone. Doesn't matter. The dude is a freak. If he was on the Falcons with JJ they'd be in the Championship game year after year. JJ needs an Edelman type dude on his team. Jules has proven he doesn't need a JJ type dude on his. Booom shakalaka.

Had to check who the clown on my ignore list was you were responding to. Not surprised.

People have just no ****ing clue how to evaluate players anymore. Fantasy football and all those meaningless stats have completely brainwashed people into that.

Edelman is one of the most valuable players in the league with how he often keeps the chains moving and affects the opponents personnel and coverages while still producing. And yet people get boners over athletes like Cooks or even worse those 50/50 ball highlight artists.

Edelman will never really have a 3 TD 200+ yard game. He will never absolutely abuse a defense for big play after big play.
Did you watch Super Bowl 53 by any chance?

Reading this thread start to finish has been absolutely torturous. It is indeed a stretch to think Edelman is as good of a pure WR as Julio Jones or Michael Thomas. It would also be stupid to take any of those guys over Edelman with the added context of price, chemistry, etc. Apparently to most of you guys these are mutually exclusive notions.

It’s a solid list. Nobody gets open as suddenly as Edelman. That’s a talent. He’s HOF talent. We could nitpick and say Hopkins or Brown but Edelman has the numbers to stand up to these guys.

Are we homers? Sure, but no other receiver on that list has gotten as far in his career as Jules has. Not even close, as some have said above. McCown is right if "most clutch" is part of the equation.

Plus Edelman gets under the skin of other teams better than any other player on the list. Drives defenses batshit with his effort, mouth and physicality.

Had to check who the clown on my ignore list was you were responding to. Not surprised.

People have just no ****ing clue how to evaluate players anymore. Fantasy football and all those meaningless stats have completely brainwashed people into that.

Edelman is one of the most valuable players in the league with how he often keeps the chains moving and affects the opponents personnel and coverages while still producing. And yet people get boners over athletes like Cooks or even worse those 50/50 ball highlight artists.

b6e989ff84536e22cd4da22ca8e6a91d5367f333

If you look at the total picture I wouldn't take any of the other top 5 over Edelman.
i wouldnt either. There isnt anyone in the league that can cover him consistantly

Trying to ask Julian Edelman to be Julio Jones or vice versa is about as rational as asking a kicker to play safety.

It's like Batman vs. Superman. One's a high-powered super human, the other is just a guy who tries really hard.

</geek>

It’s a solid list. Nobody gets open as suddenly as Edelman. That’s a talent. He’s HOF talent. We could nitpick and say Hopkins or Brown but Edelman has the numbers to stand up to these guys.

what numbers are you talking about? If Hopkins would play his entire career with Brady, he would be regarded as the best WR of all time.

Context is badly needed.

Looking for the video, I came across this prescient nugget from Ran Pickard written after that game...

>>>>If there is anything we can take away from this game, it's that Julian Edelman is going to be with the Pats for a long time and is going to have a very bright future. If Welker is able to recover from his injury, then these two will become a great duel threat for next year.<<<<<

Julian Edelman Shines In Patriots' Wildcard Loss To Ravens
--------------------------------------

1:56:41 mark says it all

I love Jules. He's my favorite player, but it looks like throughout this thread we've convinced ourselves that he is the best receiver in the league. I think we're a bit biased here.

what numbers are you talking about? If Hopkins would play his entire career with Brady, he would be regarded as the best WR of all time.

Context is badly needed.

Badly needed? It’s not that serious but number of catches, third down conversions, yards. You know, WR stats.

Who knows how good Hopkins would be here? It’s just conjecture.

JE made that acrobatic 'Catch' in SB 51 vs Falcons which would have been just as "Sexxxy' as those other receivers so it washes out EXCEPT he did it under Enormous Pressure on Biggest Stage not in a Reg. Season game to make BSPN highlights. J.Jones had a beauty on sideline in that SB Game as well. JE can do it all and seperates him from those others is that he's Money when it counts.

I consider things like dependability, clutchness, toughness, coolness under pressure, and determination to be talents,

and talents that move the needle substantially in Julian's favor.

If he's not top 5, then he's mighty close to it.

You can’t argue numbers over guys like Brown and Hopkins, but when it comes to importance to winning championship’s Edelman takes up a whole lot of space.

I consider things like dependability, clutchness, toughness, coolness under pressure, and determination to be talents,

and talents that move the needle substantially in Julian's favor.

If he's not top 5, then he's mighty close to it.

It comes down to criteria. But he’s a tough motherf*cker to try and stop. Kind of like their offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News