PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCown Offers Bold Julian Edelman Take

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you have a funny idea of what constitutes talent.
He’s no where near as “talented” a receiver as Julio Jones or any of the other top guys. He’s mastered the offense and he’s as reliable as they come when he’s on the field. For what he’s asked to do he excels at it.

Julian Edelman vs Michael Thomas: Same Ram's defense during the playoffs/Super Bowl.

View attachment 23574

View attachment 23575

Basically it's "they can't cover me bro" vs "they're shutting me down bro".

Jules all day every day.

ref: NFC Championship - Los Angeles Rams at New Orleans Saints - January 20th, 2019 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

I love Jules. He did better against the Rams and in some ways he is harder to shut down. But my post isn’t a knock on Jules. Thomas is an absolute world destroyer on every level of the field and in the red zone. The Rams shut him down because their entire game plan was to limit him.

Honestly my post was more about Thomas being better than OBJ and others listed that are more traditional bigger, outside WRs...because he is.

He’s no where near as “talented” a receiver as Julio Jones or any of the other top guys. He’s mastered the offense and he’s as reliable as they come when he’s on the field. For what he’s asked to do he excels at it.
I think you have a funny idea of what constitutes talent. It has nothing to do with mastering the offense. When JE is healthy, he is completely uncoverable. Go back and take a look at his last TD against Seattle in the SB.

I love Jules. He did better against the Rams and in some ways he is harder to shut down. But my post isn’t a knock on Jules. Thomas is an absolute world destroyer on every level of the field and in the red zone. The Rams shut him down because their entire game plan was to limit him.

Honestly my post was more about Thomas being better than OBJ and others listed that are more traditional bigger, outside WRs...because he is.

I know your post wasn't a knock against Jules.

Thomas is an awesome receiver. I like him too.

But the bigger picture is:

1. Thomas is going to get a big contract this year or next. Jules is under contract for at least a third of what Thomas will get.
2. Jules is one of the heartbeats/leaders of this team.
3. Thomas got shutdown as the #1 receiver on the biggest stage. Jules exploded for an MVP in the SB.
4. Jules does Burgertime. Thomas doesn't do shyt and I doubt he could microwave a poptart.

haha.

I think you have a funny idea of what constitutes talent. It has nothing to do with mastering the offense. When JE is healthy, he is completely uncoverable. Go back and take a look at his last TD against Seattle in the SB.
He’s uncoverable because his skill set is great in our offense and he’s been in it forever. Put him on the Falcons and ask him to do what Julio Jones does and he’s out of the league. I love Julian Edelman but this notion that he’s a more talented receiver is ridiculous. You want to say he’s the best slot receiver? Hands down. But better than Jones, Hopkins, or Brown? No way.

He’s uncoverable because his skill set is great in our offense and he’s been in it forever. Put him on the Falcons and ask him to do what Julio Jones does and he’s out of the league. I love Julian Edelman but this notion that he’s a more talented receiver is ridiculous. You want to say he’s the best slot receiver? Hands down. But better than Jones, Hopkins, or Brown? No way.

No No No. So wrong. Jules gets open against the best coverages. Man on man or Zone. Doesn't matter. The dude is a freak. If he was on the Falcons with JJ they'd be in the Championship game year after year. JJ needs an Edelman type dude on his team. Jules has proven he doesn't need a JJ type dude on his. Booom shakalaka.

No No No. So wrong. Jules gets open against the best coverages. Man on man or Zone. Doesn't matter. The dude is a freak. If he was on the Falcons with JJ they'd be in the Championship game year after year. JJ needs an Edelman type dude on his team. Jules has proven he doesn't need a JJ type dude on his. Booom shakalaka.
3rd and 10 times 2 in OT in KC. Every person in the continental US knew the ball was going to Edelman. 2 first downs. Case closed.

Let me tell you something...

The Squirrel is Cat like quick!!!

(Just like I coach em')

No, he's uncoverable because he's uncoverable. Clearly you've never paid attention to what he does to get open. Ask Jones to do with JE does and HE's out of the league. Different players, different skill sets. JE is every bit as talented as your shiny hood ornament.

The argument for Edelman vs other WRs is an argument about floors vs ceilings.

Edelman will never really have a 3 TD 200+ yard game. He will never absolutely abuse a defense for big play after big play.

That being the case, he's probably the hardest WR in the NFL to completely shut down. Look at KC's Hill for instance. While a great WR last year the Pats effectively shut him down. Yes it took 2 players to do it but they took away his ability to get behind them and while it opened up other part of KC's offense it took them an entire half to figure it out and adjust. Hill was pretty much a non-factor that game as far as actually making plays.

While being double teamed and opening up things for other players is a good thing, if you don't make plays you aren't having a direct impact and that is an issue. Not a huge one but an issue none the same. Your putting guys in roles they aren't comfortable with cause you can't find a way to get free. Not ideal.

Julio Jones is the best WR in the NFL but every year he has at least 2 games or more where he is held in check and shut down. I don't mean just stat wise. I mean games where it is hard to find a really solid play he made all day. Edelman almost never has a game where he doesn't make key plays. Even when he has bad stat lines he usually converts a number of 3rd downs.

So while he may not have these huge games like other WRs do he is near impossible to completely stop even with teams devoting a lot of resources to do it. That to me and why Edelman deserves to be mentioned in the top 10 of NFL WRs. He has the highest floor in the NFL at that position.

Jules & D-Hop. Point blank period.

D-Hop don’t drop!

Damn straight. It's all about perspective. Highlight reel acrobatics are cute and all but 4th and whatever in a win or go home situation who else would you want?
His 4th and 10 first down against the Ravens in that playoff game when it seemed that his teammates didn't show up was an amazing play...sorry no video....

His 4th and 10 first down against the Ravens in that playoff game when it seemed that his teammates didn't show up was an amazing play...sorry no video....
One of the greatest effort plays of all-time - called back because of a penalty. So Jules caught the 4th and 17 on the next play. Young Jules was so frigging shifty - sad that he has lost some of that. There is video on it somewhere.

One of the greatest effort plays of all-time - called back because of a penalty. So Jules caught the 4th and 17 on the next play. Young Jules was so frigging shifty - sad that he has lost some of that. There is video on it somewhere.
Looking for the video, I came across this prescient nugget from Ran Pickard written after that game...

>>>>If there is anything we can take away from this game, it's that Julian Edelman is going to be with the Pats for a long time and is going to have a very bright future. If Welker is able to recover from his injury, then these two will become a great duel threat for next year.<<<<<

Julian Edelman Shines In Patriots' Wildcard Loss To Ravens
--------------------------------------

Looking for the video, I came across this prescient nugget from Ran Pickard written after that game...

>>>>If there is anything we can take away from this game, it's that Julian Edelman is going to be with the Pats for a long time and is going to have a very bright future. If Welker is able to recover from his injury, then these two will become a great duel threat for next year.<<<<<

Julian Edelman Shines In Patriots' Wildcard Loss To Ravens
--------------------------------------
I know it is buried in one of the game videos from that day, someone had a better, shorter clip.

Deandre Hopkins is the best WR in the NFL and it isn't close. There is no way, no how I'm taking anyone over Hopkins who dominated with Tom Savage, Brian Hoyer, Brock and Matt Schaub throwing him the ball.

McCown is crazy.

The homerism is a bit over the top in this thread.

Jules is an awesome receiver but he isn't a top 5 receiver, let alone the best and no coach or GM in the NFL would rank him as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST