PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty's special

Status
Not open for further replies.

varjao

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Well D-Mac gets some hate around here because he doesn't make flashy plays so when he does I think he deserves praise. And that tackle was kind of a big play, some time in the clock, Denver is a lucky team, that sealed the deal.

And I've seen him doing that tackle before that's why I'm naming McCourthy's special, right in the rib cage, it was not about brutal force and violence, it was in the right place where receivers drop the ball because the brain must send some panic command to the extremities after a hit like that, if I'm not mistaken that generate turnovers before and yesterday it was a turnover on downs. Great play, don't turn your back on McCourthy or he is gonna lay the wood on you.

Last edited:
I'll get some "dislikes" on this but he seems much more active and around the ball these last few games than he was earlier this year.

Hes really cranked it up and playing at a Pro Bowl level.

I'll get some "dislikes" on this but he seems much more active and around the ball these last few games than he was earlier this year.

Hes really cranked it up and playing at a Pro Bowl level.

Spot on.

Its about time he did something other than the 10 yard cushion or be the last player to fall on the pile.

Yesterdays hit was like Rodney Harrison out there. The INT last week. Its must be time to renew his contract or something.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: ALP
Yes, he's making more of the desired impact plays these last few weeks. Against the Rams he broke up a couple of passes with timely hits, against the Ravens he had an interception and yesterday he just lit up Demaryius Thomas. I know some say Thomas is soft and has issues with drops (like the one where he was covered by Rowe down the field), but if you hit somebody with force right in the back like that the arms just spread open naturally. It was like the hit he had on Welker in 2014 which took him out of the game. One of McCourty's strenghts is really his tackling. He rarely misses them and nearly always takes a good angle and great form.

McCourty has been making plays like that his entire career. He's not Earl Thomas but you'll be hard pressed to find many FS's that are better than he is.

I golf with a man who was a very successful HS football coach and people often ask his opinion on Pats players. He's not as sold on Brady as he is on McCourty, who he calls the key player on the Pats. Since this guy's a former QB I was surprised he said that.

McCourty has 57 solo tackles and 7 pass breakups playing a position where he's targeted somewhere between seldom and never. He's a fantastic player.

I golf with a man who was a very successful HS football coach and people often ask his opinion on Pats players. He's not as sold on Brady as he is on McCourty, who he calls the key player on the Pats. Since this guy's a former QB I was surprised he said that.
He's not sold on Brady? With all due respect, that might be one of the dumbest comments ever made by a human, let alone a man who was a successful HS coach.

Sometimes I hang out witu people and they say off the wall ****, too. It's called contrarianism.

McCourty is frustrating sometimes cause we have seen him be late to the play cause he plays so deep. Much of what he does is push people out of bounds after making a catch or prevent the huge play. It is only in the last few games this year have we got to see him actively make plays.

Whether that is just cause things are now lining up by happenstance for that to occur now or the defensive play calling is more aggressive or he is just playing better we don't know for sure. Probably all of them are involved a bit.

It is entirely understandable that fans feel frustrated when you pay a player huge money and the stat sheet doesn't justify it nor do you see those impact plays. However all things considered I only take 2 FSs over him right now (Harrison Smith and Earl Thomas) and for this year IMO he has been worth what they paid him.

Spot on.

Its about time he did something other than the 10 yard cushion or be the last player to fall on the pile.

Yesterdays hit was like Rodney Harrison out there. The INT last week. Its must be time to renew his contract or something.

Not sure but he was another one who publicly acknowledged the catcalls about the defense.

Alot of player on this team have pride in their personal play. Sometimes they need a kick in the butt or a wake-up call.

The SEA game might have been just that.

McCourty is frustrating sometimes cause we have seen him be late to the play cause he plays so deep. Much of what he does is push people out of bounds after making a catch or prevent the huge play. It is only in the last few games this year have we got to see him actively make plays.

Whether that is just cause things are now lining up by happenstance for that to occur now or the defensive play calling is more aggressive or he is just playing better we don't know for sure. Probably all of them are involved a bit.

It is entirely understandable that fans feel frustrated when you pay a player huge money and the stat sheet doesn't justify it nor do you see those impact plays. However all things considered I only take 2 FSs over him right now (Harrison Smith and Earl Thomas) and for this year IMO he has been worth what they paid him.
McCourty's primary role in this defense is to eliminate the big play. That's why the Pats have allowed fewer than any defense in the league. McCourty is doing his job to a T. Fans can hate that all they want but the results speak for themselves.

I love me some Devin McCourty !

An ELITE Free Safety, one of the few that exist in the NFL and he's locked up long term as a Patriot. We're very lucky!

Please tell me the stats or metrics you use to evaluate the performance and value of safeties because they don't exist.

You know when a player like DMac is at his best ? When his sole presence stops QBs from throwing the ball towards him, which automatically also limits his opportunities to show up in one of those classic stats categories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down