PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty or Kyle Wilson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sure? I thought Price ran a 4.4 flat.

You are correct. Price ran poorly ( for him ) at the Combine. I was quoting his OSU workout times, ( 4.26 handheld, 4.33 electronic ). My draft guide estimates Price's true speed to be some where in the middle ( 4.38 to be exact ).

This is not accurate. According to the Mel Kiper 2008 draft guide, Slater ran a 4.50 forty yard dash.

I don't know what Slater got at his combine, but Tom Brady was asked earlier this season who was the fastest on the team. He had Moss/Slater as the fastest.

I don't know what Slater got at his combine, but Tom Brady was asked earlier this season who was the fastest on the team. He had Moss/Slater as the fastest.

Thats interesting, but if i believe that was a training camp quote. McCourty, Woodhead, and Taylor Price had not played yet. Still, the quote would lead me to believe that Slater has significantly improved his speed from the 4.5 at UCLA.

Thats interesting, but if i believe that was a training camp quote. McCourty, Woodhead, and Taylor Price had not played yet. Still, the quote would lead me to believe that Slater has significantly improved his speed from the 4.5 at UCLA.

I believe it took place a bit after Moss's imfamous presser after the first win. It was definitely during the season.

I was never a fan of drafting slot cornerbacks early. And now you see the difference. McCourty when drafted projected to an outside cornerback role and Wilson was a slot corner. I just would not use a 1st rounder on a slot corner. BB chose wisely. I approve of his message. *g*

I still laugh at all the Jets fans who ridiculed Belichick for drafting a special teamer who might be a decent back up CB instead of the "far superior" Wilson who Rex's brother wanted to draft over his bosses' pick in Joe Haden. It is way early in the race, but both Cleveland and the Jets got the wrong guy (unless you listen to the moronic site PFF that people love who has Haden ranked well over McCourty even after yesterday's performance in the ROY race).

Last edited:
I still laugh at all the Jets fans who ridiculed Belichick for drafting a special teamer who might be a decent back up CB instead of the "far superior" Wilson who Rex's brother wanted to draft over his bosses' pick in Joe Haden. It is way early in the race, but both Cleveland and the Jets got the wrong guy (unless you listen to the moronic site PFF that people love who has Haden ranked well over McCourty even after yesterday's performance in the ROY race).

Haden hasn't even cracked the starting lineup in Cleveland yet as of the 19th. He's not even in the discussion. Right now I'd say it's Suh in 1st, McCourty 2nd, and Thomas 3rd in the DROY race.
Rookie cornerback Joe Haden getting close to cracking the starting lineup: Cleveland Browns Insider | cleveland.com

Last edited:
Haden hasn't even cracked the starting lineup in Cleveland yet as of the 19th. He's not even in the discussion. Right now I'd say it's Suh in 1st, McCourty 2nd, and Holmes 3rd in the DROY race.
Rookie cornerback Joe Haden getting close to cracking the starting lineup: Cleveland Browns Insider | cleveland.com

Don't tell PFF that. Their rookie of the year rakings is one of the worst I have seen, but it isn't nearly as bad as their ALL PFF as of this week.

Week 11 All-PFF team | ProFootballFocus.com

The only Patriot to make this list? Dan Koppen. Which is ironic since I would say he may be the worst starting Patriot offensive lineman at this point.

They should have renamed this list the ALL WHO ARE THEY? List. Steve Johnson starting WR? Tyson Claybo at starting RT? Terrance Knighton at DT? Tony McDaniels at 3-4 DE? Chris Carr at CB? Usama Young at FS?

Steve Johnson isn't strange. He's a stud and he's had a terrific, if a bit inflated year.

I do agree with the larger point that PFF rankings are absolute garbage.

As someone who watched quite a bit of him, I never quite understood the fascination with Joe Haden. He was no doubt a solid CB at Florida. But people absolutely drooled over him and vaulted him as some sort of a future shutdown CB coming into the draft. Not sure what they watched, because Haden never flashed anything that made me think that he was going to be the next shutdown CB.

By the way, for those interested in possible Pats draft selections, a few of them are playing right now in the Auburn/Alabama game. Nick Fairley, Marcel Dareus, Mark Ingram, and Julio Jones. Alabama roared out to a 21-0 lead. The score is now 24-21 Alabama. Very hard hitting, physical game that's setting itself up for an entertaining fourth quarter.

Steve Johnson isn't strange. He's a stud and he's had a terrific, if a bit inflated year.

I do agree with the larger point that PFF rankings are absolute garbage.

Steve Johnson is a top 10-15 WR who is breaking out this year, but a relative unknown because the team he plays on. If he was on the Pats or another contender, he would be much more well known. No way is he one of the two best WRs in the league this year though which is what PFF is implying by including him on this list. That was my point.

Steve Johnson is a top 10-15 WR who is breaking out this year, but a relative unknown because the team he plays on. If he was on the Pats or another contender, he would be much more well known. No way is he one of the two best WRs in the league this year though which is what PFF is implying by including him on this list. That was my point.

Is this being done week-to-week or are these rankings cumulative? Because if it's the latter, almost none of these nominees would make any sense at all. Ryan over Brady, Manning, Rivers? MJD over Foster? Yeah, probably not.

As someone who watched quite a bit of him, I never quite understood the fascination with Joe Haden. He was no doubt a solid CB at Florida. But people absolutely drooled over him and vaulted him as some sort of a future shutdown CB coming into the draft. Not sure what they watched, because Haden never flashed anything that made me think that he was going to be the next shutdown CB.

By the way, for those interested in possible Pats draft selections, a few of them are playing right now in the Auburn/Alabama game. Nick Fairley, Marcel Dareus, Mark Ingram, and Julio Jones. Alabama roared out to a 21-0 lead. The score is now 24-21 Alabama. Very hard hitting, physical game that's setting itself up for an entertaining fourth quarter.

I think McCourty is the anti-Haden. McCourty was viewed as a guy who cannot contribute right away other than special teams and might have a role at nickelback by a large portion of the draft experts. People were unimpressed by his college career although the numbers showed that he was the most shutdown college CB drafted in the first round. I think it was the school and the conference he came from that gave him a bad rep and possibly since his twin brother came out a year earlier (drafted in the 6th round by the Titans) and although played well for a sixth rounder, wasn't spectacular in any way.

Is this being done week-to-week or are these rankings cumulative? Because if it's the latter, almost none of these nominees would make any sense at all. Ryan over Brady, Manning, Rivers? MJD over Foster? Yeah, probably not.

I don't really know. It is based on their formula (they have their own version of Football Outsiders' DVOA) and I think cumulative. THis site is proof that stats, even weighted stats are useless in the NFL in a lot of cases.

Quite simply Devin McCourty is the best CB selected in the first (or any) round thus far.

LOL @ Kyle Wilson..guy sucks so happy the pats got mccourty over that fool

I don't want to defend the PFF rating system, as it's both bizarre and opaque, but their "All-PFF" feature is just the best scoring players according to their system at each position for each week, not for the season.

why did Blair Thomas suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back