PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty not retiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re an annoying ****. Just avoid commenting on my posts. Ignore button for me. You’re just an argumentative, hostile jackass looking to pick a fight...the points you make are all stretches, but since you’re so arrogant, you must be right?

Hit a nerve, eh?

You were wrong. Get over yourself and your internet spine.

Edelman tested Free Agency and got humiliated - did he even get an offer? He came back here and signed a long-term deal, then did a new extension with a substantial raise for 2/11 and lots of guarantees, which almost certainly wasn't much below what he would have found out there, as he had learned the hard way.

The first time after the 2012 season yes it was humbling. But that was mostly because he finished 2012 on IR after being WR3.

The following summer he had bigger interest given his breakout 2013 campaign. Here is what Simmons wrote about Edelman in the wake of the SB win over the Seahawks:

Last winter, Edelman passed up more lucrative free-agent offers to stay with New England, and only because he was smart enough to realize, “My quarterback is Tom Freaking Brady.”

And from another article a bit later:

One night earlier this year, I ran into friends in New York who happened to be with Julian Edelman. After a breakout season, Edelman had been debating whether to re-sign or leave for a bigger offer … which meant he’d be leaving Tom Brady. And his friends were busting his balls about it. Go ahead, leave Brady — see what happens. It was actually pretty funny.

Edelman knew what I did for a living. He had a couple of drinks in him. He was feeling emotional about Brady — again, it was unclear whether they were done as teammates — and launched into an endearingly genuine monologue about Brady’s brilliance. What an unbelievable teammate Brady was. What an unbelievable quarterback he was. How he worked harder, day in and day out, than any teammate Edelman had ever had. How he owed everything to the guy. We joked that Edelman almost sounded like a religious fanatic discussing the Cult of Brady or something. But that’s how he felt.

He signed purposefully with the Pats to stay with Brady leaving more money on the table. So please just stop with this "wasn't much below" narrative. He took a heavy discount to stay with Brady and win titles.

The Patriots don't underpay - they just don't go and break the bank on the elite players, which is why those who leave often complain that the Patriots don't pay. Yup, they won't pay 15m for a DE when they can get similar production from two 5m guys.

The Pats have their internal value evaluation of players and are confident enough to stick to that script. And that includes FA, extensions and the draft. Whether you call it underpay or the other teams overpaying is just semantics.

Apropos to nothing other than the above post: I used to love Bill Simmons but man is he the worst the past several years. Give me Portnoy any day.

So...I guess I could call this your....ahem..."Portnoy's Complaint"?:D:D:cool:

Apropos to nothing other than the above post: I used to love Bill Simmons but man is he the worst the past several years. Give me Portnoy any day.
Couldn’t agree more and not sure what happened to the guy. Awful now.

This is a really bad take. Name five.

And before you start naming, consider that the Pats' roster is full of players who CAME with contracts (Allen, Trent Brown, Dorsett)...signed FA deals with the Pats at their market value - Hogan, Van Noy (so many thought it an overpay), Chung, Patterson, Gilmore, JMac...got GOOD extensions DMac (remember the howling when he got top of the market money?), Mason, Gronk, Cannon, Andrews...tested the free agent market and came back after lackluster interest: Hightower, Edelman...are on rookie deals: Crossen, Thuney, Jackson, Jones, Roberts...

You could make that argument about Brady, whose earnings exceed $200 million, I guess. Brady makes team-friendly extensions, and now JE. But go ahead, name five.

None of Mason, Cannon, Andrews, and Gronk ever tested the free agent market. Not sure where you ever got the idea they did?

Devin McCourty is probably the biggest unsung hero of the franchise, because his position often falls afoul of the lighthouse fallacy. Safety isn't a position where yards are gained. It's a position where they aren't lost, and that's not as easy to spot.

None of Mason, Cannon, Andrews, and Gronk ever tested the free agent market. Not sure where you ever got the idea they did?

Mason is the 9th highest paid right guard in the league. Gronk was the highest-paid tight end in the league when he signed his long deal, and took the security, which was smart given his injury history.

Cannon is still the 11th highest paid right tackle in the NFL, and he signed that deal years ago. And with an injury history.

All teams have players who sign extensions without testing the market - and many have way more than the Pats. What I'm pushing back on is this underpay nonsense.

Was JMac underpaid last year? For his performance, yes - it was a deal he signed in Cleveland.

I agree: the Pats won't break the bank on their players. They have a system and they stick to it. This makes elite players angry and they mouth off, but players like Mason, Cannon, Gronk didn't give huge discounts, as implied.

The exception might be Edelman in the last contract, but didn't we see the same thing with Welker, who thought he could go forth and reap...and wound up signing a deal no better with Denver? Edelman tried the market and the market rejected him. Why was he to believe that three years later, he would strike gold? He took the guaranteed money (9 out of 11 million) and tore his ACL two months later.

Here's a good article on Andrews - does anyone really think he was a top-10 center when he signed the extension? And he was the 11th highest paid center in the league at that point:

Former NFL Exec Says David Andrews Signed ‘Horrible’ Deal With Patriots

Mason is the 9th highest paid right guard in the league. Gronk was the highest-paid tight end in the league when he signed his long deal, and took the security, which was smart given his injury history.

Cannon is still the 11th highest paid right tackle in the NFL, and he signed that deal years ago. And with an injury history.

All teams have players who sign extensions without testing the market - and many have way more than the Pats. What I'm pushing back on is this underpay nonsense.

Was JMac underpaid last year? For his performance, yes - it was a deal he signed in Cleveland.

I agree: the Pats won't break the bank on their players. They have a system and they stick to it. This makes elite players angry and they mouth off, but players like Mason, Cannon, Gronk didn't give huge discounts, as implied.

The exception might be Edelman in the last contract, but didn't we see the same thing with Welker, who thought he could go forth and reap...and wound up signing a deal no better with Denver? Edelman tried the market and the market rejected him. Why was he to believe that three years later, he would strike gold? He took the guaranteed money (9 out of 11 million) and tore his ACL two months later.

Here's a good article on Andrews - does anyone really think he was a top-10 center when he signed the extension? And he was the 11th highest paid center in the league at that point:

Former NFL Exec Says David Andrews Signed ‘Horrible’ Deal With Patriots

My point was simply that you said they tested the market and came back, all were signed before hitting free agency.

My point was simply that you said they tested the market and came back, all were signed before hitting free agency.

Fair enough - although I do think it's safe to say that their agents were quietly talking to other teams.

I think they'd be better off with the cap space. Maybe not immediately though. I was hoping he'd retire.

I think they'd be better off with the cap space. Maybe not immediately though. I was hoping he'd retire.

Well, if they agree with you they can cut him. If that were the case, though, do you think they would have talked to DMac before he made his statement?

I'm hoping for an extension to spread out the cap hit. I'd also like to see DMac stick around another 2 or 3 years.

Everyone who wants to see DMac cut so badly (and have for years) must not remember the 10+ year span where we had a gaping hole at Free Safety and were in desperate search for one... then we Draft a pro-bowler like McCourty who has solidified the position as one of the top 3-5 safeties in the league and is NEVER injured..

He is the definition of consistency and leadership, yet people want to see him cut lol

Everyone says the Patriots don’t pay. Moss said that. Butler said that. Ridley said that. Yet the Patriots spend to cap limit every year. So they are paying a lot of people, a lot of money. They’re just usually not breaking records and setting new highs, especially for skill positions. So unlike other rosters, which are full of stars that are paid massive money, and then have a ton of rookies/nobodies to fill out the 53 man roster, Patriots pay a lot of decent salaries to that fat middle of the roster and are not top heavy on big stars. They are still spending as much as anybody, but have a lot more guys making $3m (Andrews) and $4m (Edelman) etc and content.

i hate to and will really not go into politics here, but just reading this brought my mind to the corollary that when the country has a strong middle class and few rich/poor, it does best, just like our team, when its top heavy, the teams fail in the nfl, just like countries fail over time

just an insight i thought id share real time, please let's not turn this into a political discussion and this post doesn't need more expansion

Everyone who wants to see DMac cut so badly (and have for years) must not remember the 10+ year span where we had a gaping hole at Free Safety and were in desperate search for one... then we Draft a pro-bowler like McCourty who has solidified the position as one of the top 3-5 safeties in the league and is NEVER injured..

He is the definition of consistency and leadership, yet people want to see him cut lol

people just dont remember the years when our secondary in the deep field just allowed pitch and catch to offenses...i still remember that debacle in NO in 2009.

So how much of a restructure is McCourty about to take?

So how much of a restructure is McCourty about to take?

If you are talking about signing a new 2019 contract for lower compensation, I would say that the reduction that he would be willing to take would be approximately $0.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back