PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty not retiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps Brady should play for the vet minimum. After all, he does't need the money. Personally, I don't think that McCourty should voluntarily take a pay cut. McCourty should agree to an extension.

Within reason. The NFLPA will not let that happen. Why does everything have to be $1 or $10,000,000?

Almost every player on the team is playing below market, which is why this team is such an outlier. There are many players who could have held out who didn’t, or if they did it was kept private. In addition, playing for the Patriots almost always means less guarantees than other teams. This team is full of players who are paid well but definitely left something on the table to play for a winner.

Sorry, but I can only get on board this idea to a certain extent. The Patriots have a $175M payroll. That’s a lot of money and the team makes a lot of profit.

The "market" is driven by weak gms and owners playing into the hands of whiny players. Patriots are tough because they don't fall into this trap. Either you're in or you're not. You might not get on board but players who want to win do.

Maybe DMac restructures to free up some cap with a wink & nod deal to sign his brother for another year

Everyone says the Patriots don’t pay. Moss said that. Butler said that. Ridley said that. Yet the Patriots spend to cap limit every year. So they are paying a lot of people, a lot of money. They’re just usually not breaking records and setting new highs, especially for skill positions. So unlike other rosters, which are full of stars that are paid massive money, and then have a ton of rookies/nobodies to fill out the 53 man roster, Patriots pay a lot of decent salaries to that fat middle of the roster and are not top heavy on big stars. They are still spending as much as anybody, but have a lot more guys making $3m (Andrews) and $4m (Edelman) etc and content.

Everyone says the Patriots don’t pay. Moss said that. Butler said that. Ridley said that. Yet the Patriots spend to cap limit every year. So they are paying a lot of people, a lot of money. They’re just usually not breaking records and setting new highs, especially for skill positions. So unlike other rosters, which are full of stars that are paid massive money, and then have a ton of rookies/nobodies to fill out the 53 man roster, Patriots pay a lot of decent salaries to that fat middle of the roster and are not top heavy on big stars. They are still spending as much as anybody, but have a lot more guys making $3m (Andrews) and $4m (Edelman) etc and content.

Players who say that are embarrassing themselves. That players either can't understand or refuse to acknowledge what you just wrote is pretty idiotic.

Probably the same players who act jaded in realizing that the NFL "is a business" in some cynical way. No crap, buddy. You didn't realize this when you cashed your last $20M signing bonus?

Great news however we should adress a safety position via draft or FA. Having 3 safeties on the field most of the snaps we badly need a backup.Someone who will replace DMac in the future would be welcomed.

Pretty sure before he posted this yesterday there were behind the scenes discussions about Jason and tweeking his contract to make it more team friendly.. just a hunch, but do not be surprised about how this all unfolds..

McCourty is well worth $9.5M, and the team will NOT cut him.
They still may ask him to take a step back. It’s not like we have any emotion tied to Patriots player contracts. I know BB doesn’t have any emotion over it. After all, it’s just business

Almost every player on the team is playing below market, which is why this team is such an outlier. There are many players who could have held out who didn’t, or if they did it was kept private. In addition, playing for the Patriots almost always means less guarantees than other teams. This team is full of players who are paid well but definitely left something on the table to play for a winner.

Sorry, but I can only get on board this idea to a certain extent. The Patriots have a $175M payroll. That’s a lot of money and the team makes a lot of profit.
If Brady plays for less....it’s why BB & Brady are still doing what they do. It’s been what has made the New England Patriots who they’ve been for 18 years.

Very good news he’s staying. One of the most important guys in our defence and locker room. Hopefully they will restructure his deal so they can also bring his brother back as well.

When players leave and say “ne does not pay up”
This is code for I think I’m worth elite money which they won’t get. The goat plays for like the 16th highest paid. So, no. You won’t get paid at a lopsided rate and weakens another area. Gilmore and his contract did not surprise me after revis got 970 million per game from the jete

Have you got some verification on that, or is that just you tossing out a guess?

I think the agents for guys thinking of hanging them up have contact with the team regarding their contract’s before they make the final decision. I don’t think McCourty or Gronk are going on record until they know if the team is looking to cut their salary or not.

McCourty needs to either sign an extension and play for less or they need to cut him sadly. They just can't afford to carry his cap hit into this year IMO.

I think keeping Flowers is too important. Gronk isn't going to take a pay cut IMO and I don't see them cutting him. Brady will extend and cut some cash room i think but it won't be enough. They need to free up some more money.

McCourty needs to either sign an extension and play for less or they need to cut him sadly. They just can't afford to carry his cap hit into this year IMO.

I think keeping Flowers is too important. Gronk isn't going to take a pay cut IMO and I don't see them cutting him. Brady will extend and cut some cash room i think but it won't be enough. They need to free up some more money.

There’s gotta be a way to work it out. I think he does a extension and plays for about half that hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes