PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty and Hightower

Biffins

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Very disappointed by the play by these "veterans".

Hightower bit so hard on the first TD throw against Cowboys today. And then was scrambling to jump and paw at the ball as it sailed over his head to for an easy pass and TD. McCourty did something similar last week with horrible angles. I am a bit surprised by this since I had figured these guys would have smart and correct instincts honed by their experience but will lose a step as they get older. e.g. I would expect Hightower to be following Jarvin, not biting on the run-option to Elliott, and then falling short as he's slower and can't reach in time or jump high enough etc. That would make sense and what I would expect. These guys are making some glaring mistakes. Hightower sitting out for a year might have something to do with it too.

Combine that fact with the cap hits, $12.4m for Hightower and $11m for McCourty, the only 2 players $10m+ and the two highest paid players on the team. They are clearly bad or even horrible value at this stage. I know both have contracts expiring this year and it's almost impossible to see them being re-signed after this year. Unless it's a $3-4m kind of deal. I think the McCourty 2 year contract extension in 2019 (after which we decided not to extend Brady) is also looking like a mistake.

Either way, this should open up some significant cap space next year.

As I noted months ago, by starting a rookie QB and now getting rid of their star CB1, it was only a matter of time till chatter about whether to trade or keep McCourty and Hightower....

Seems to me we're in a rebuild year. If so, I'd lean toward giving snaps to young guys to set the team up for next year.

Hightower has definitely lost a few steps.

I think mccourty’s issues have more to do with new people in new roles in the secondary.

however, there is no doubt, this should be the last season for both of them.

McCourty in particular has been looking rather exposed lately.

A shadow of their former selves. Once, true competitors…. Now, examples of mopishness.

I actually haven’t watched nearly enough of the games to judge. In college, a classmate repeated this line incessantly and neither he nor anyone else ever knew where he heard it, though he swears it was famous. If anyone recognizes it, please do tell.

Hightower gets a permanent pass for me for game saving plays in the Falcon and Seahawks SB's. But ya, he has sucked this year.

McCourty is what he is, less than impressive as well. Never thought he was truly great anyway, just above average.

Is there ANY way to get out of jonnu smith. Albatross contract

Is there ANY way to get out of jonnu smith. Albatross contract

No, they’re screwed. It’s really bizarre that they’d backload it for only a $5M cap hit in 2021 when supposedly they were okay overpaying because they had extra cap room in 2021. I’m not sure the Jets would have done a deal like this.

1634523291167.png

No, they’re screwed. It’s really bizarre that they’d backload it for only a $5M cap hit in 2021 when supposedly they were okay overpaying because they had extra cap room in 2021. I’m not sure the Jets would have done a deal like this.

View attachment 36706

Ziegler should be fired for this horrible deal alone.

A shadow of their former selves. Once, true competitors…. Now, examples of mopishness.

I actually haven’t watched nearly enough of the games to judge. In college, a classmate repeated this line incessantly and neither he nor anyone else ever knew where he heard it, though he swears it was famous. If anyone recognizes it, please do tell.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back