PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McClain Dropping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are things about McClain that I personally don't like; though im not sure how the Pats organization feels about such...

1. He plays with terrible leverage...tackles high doesn't explode from the waist

2. Isn't terribly strong...you can get away with it in the NCAA but im not sure how he'll adjust to the pro's im not sure if he particpated in lifting at the combine or not but i would guess he wouldn't perform that well at the bench or squat rack from film of him.

3. A problem i would personally have with him and others is not working out at the combine...you run what you run you lift what you can lift...As a coach I love players that just wana compete. Someone who bows out or isnt up to it and wants to perform in his own practice facility would be a red flag to me. Same goes for players like Brandon Spikes...everyone knows ur not runnin a 4.4 4.5 and probably not even a 4.6 40 but go out there and competing shows a lot of one's character.

No player is perfect. The knock on McClain is his drops in coverage.

However, his is the most complete ILB in the draft and there is very little downside with him. His leverage needs to improve but he is called coachable and is tough and loves football.

One thing that drives me crazy lately is the emphasis people keep putting on 40 times. Both he and Spikes have enough 40 speed to play ILB in the NFL. As I've said before, a players 20 yard shuttle time is way more important that the straight line 40.

I didn't say that to say that the 40 time is the most important thing but it is an additional tool used to check some things that will eventually show in film. And certain positions require good timed long distance speed...RB,WR,DB. The 40 combined with film and other agiligy tests are the scouts way to "test" drive the prospects. With that being said..one reason he and spikes stuggle in coverage is because of his timed speed and lack of agility. He wont be a similar player like Vilma, Mayo, Harris, not simply because he's not as good of an athlete but he lacks the similar explosion as those players (something which like you said can better be determined by short shuttle, 3 cone and 20 split times)

I like to see people compete...As a coach i hate when players have an excuse for this or that...just go 100% at what ya can do...sore hamstring...Can't wait for his interviews and he's asked by coaches and GM's why he (and others for that matter) choose not to compete all be it at the combine.

I never said he was falling out of the first round, just the opposite. I think that if he runs under 4.6 at the combine, he will be a top 5 pick.

And while the tape does not lie, it must be noted that when you watch the tape,you have to ask yourself where is the opposing team's Oline. Is the opposing teams O line doubling the Deaderick's or Washington's of the Alabama defense? No way Can anybody on this board name the two starting OLB's for Alabama? Let alone tell me if either is worthy of a double team? No way, because those guys contributed little.

The reason Alabama's defense was number 1 in the nation is because teams could not run on them with Mt. Cody clogging up the A and B gaps, which allowed McClain to roam freely sideline to sideline. Only with Mt. Cody at the nose, does a guy like Hightower look good enough for people to talk about drafting him next season.

Bottom line is McClain is a stud ILB in OUR defense, but he benefited GREATLY by playing behind Mt. Cody. And if I was a Miami or Denver, I have to wonder how he fits their defense after being molded to perfectly fit OUR defense.[/QUOT

I guess time will tell...

Let's get our history correct in regard to Bruschi. Bruschi was a 3rd round pick who was an undersized D-lineman. Until Dwight Freeney came along, he had the NCAA record for sacks. He was drafted by Parcells even though he had no natural position. He was first pure STs, then a situational OLB, then a situation ILB, before he became the 3 down ILB we all remember.

For the best years of his career, he had Ted Johnson playing next to him, who was an early second round pick.

Now you can debate away as to the merits of drafting an ILB at 22.

He was also a DE/Passrusher his rookie year and a good one.

Last edited:
No player is perfect. The knock on McClain is his drops in coverage.

However, his is the most complete ILB in the draft and there is very little downside with him. His leverage needs to improve but he is called coachable and is tough and loves football.

One thing that drives me crazy lately is the emphasis people keep putting on 40 times. Both he and Spikes have enough 40 speed to play ILB in the NFL. As I've said before, a players 20 yard shuttle time is way more important that the straight line 40.

I think McClain is absolutely deadly in coverage. His instincts are top draw and make him appear a step or two quicker. He is not shy about going after the ball when it is in the air.
I think he had 3 INT's last season.

Spikes chickening out should hurt him pretty badly. Jumping 4-5" lower than Ndam Suh did at over 300 lbs ain't going to help either.

Not participating in the combine wont hurt you at all. Ever hear of a pro day? Alot of players will skip certain drills at the combine if a) they arnt healthy or b) they know they need work. If Spikes runs a 4.6 at Florida's pro day as oposed to a 4.7 now how does it hurt him?

I've probably got a better concept of "BUSTS" than you could ever imagine. Ryan Leaf was an immature malcontent coming out of College and people said he needed to grow up.

Gholston isn't a bust, yet. This is his make or break year.

OH, and I'll take the word of someone who has continually shown they have a clue what they are talking about (Ochmed Jones) over crumudgeons like yourself and Francis who haven't.

Sorry but your main assertion is flawed, someone can be highly touted and not be able to deliver the goods. A player might look better than he actually is because he plays within a system geared to his strengths, he's surrounded by other good players, or even because his competition isn't that great.

The fact that he chose not to compete just might confirm that.

Do we really know why this guy didn't work out? I haven't watched the full coverage yet but do we know if he even showed up at the combine? We've spent alot of time discussing a guy who won't even be available in my opinion at 22.

Do we really know why this guy didn't work out? I haven't watched the full coverage yet but do we know if he even showed up at the combine? We've spent alot of time discussing a guy who won't even be available in my opinion at 22.
Reportedly a minor injury in the BCS championship.

Reportedly a minor injury in the BCS championship.

His pro day is next week and he said he'd be participating in all the drills so it can't be too bad.

Not participating in the combine wont hurt you at all. Ever hear of a pro day? Alot of players will skip certain drills at the combine if a) they arnt healthy or b) they know they need work. If Spikes runs a 4.6 at Florida's pro day as oposed to a 4.7 now how does it hurt him?

Haha have i heard of pro days...no what are they? haha

I think the reason agents tell players not to compete at the combine is because they are afraid that slow 40 times or lackluster performance will hurt draft stock. They are more confident of their clients doing well on a home field - ie the school's pro day, then at the combine. Perhaps McClain was legitimately injured, or perhaps it was a strategic move, calculated and urged on by his agent. Hard to say.

Sorry but your main assertion is flawed, someone can be highly touted and not be able to deliver the goods. A player might look better than he actually is because he plays within a system geared to his strengths, he's surrounded by other good players, or even because his competition isn't that great.

The fact that he chose not to compete just might confirm that.

How can my main assertion be flawed when you are clueless as to what that assertion was?

My main assertion was that YOU and Black Francis didn't have a clue as to what you were talking about regarding McClain.

Now as to your other blatherings.

The SEC is, by far, the best conference in College Football. The idea that the competition that McClain faced just wasn't that good is downright silly.

If you watched Alabama at all, you'd know that McClain was the leader on that defense.

Now, your claim that some players are over-touted is fair and valid. But that just doesn't apply here.

And while there were other good players on Alabama, the same can be said for every NFL football team.

I suggest you learn a bit about writing an argument and, next time, don't just copy and past one line.... Makes you look silly when you leave out part of the argument.

Pro Days can indeed help a prospect (as far as workouts are concerned), and they're only one small part of the entire evaluation process.

The disadvantage of running only at a Pro Day and not at the combine is one can't easily compare the times. Everyone at the combine ran on the same surface. Whether the surface was fast or slow, it was the same for everyone. The surface at a Pro Day is a big variable. I read somewhere that at Penn State the surface runs slightly down hill. I think Florida has a very fast surface. Unless a player is hurt or a guaranteed top ten pick, I think not running at the combine is a bad decision.

Hopefully, the scouts are onto this scam. VT's track was supposedly about .2 seconds faster than normal.

McClain is probably a 4.8 guy and he's embarassed about it.

The disadvantage of running only at a Pro Day and not at the combine is one can't easily compare the times. Everyone at the combine ran on the same surface. Whether the surface was fast or slow, it was the same for everyone. The surface at a Pro Day is a big variable. I read somewhere that at Penn State the surface runs slightly down hill. I think Florida has a very fast surface. Unless a player is hurt or a guaranteed top ten pick, I think not running at the combine is a bad decision.

Plus, the pro days have handtimed 40s

How does the signing of Dansby by Miami affect McClain? Could he possibly slide some as I read only 3-4 team would've an interest in him due to his lack of side-to-side speed or what have you.

If he isn't selected in the top ten, then I believe either San Francisco or Pittsburgh could select him if not Miami. I doubt Denver would select him over an offensive player (wide receiver, tight end or offensive lineman).

11. DEN 3-4
12. MIA 3-4
13. SF 3-4
14. SEA
15. NYG
16. TEN
17. SF
18. PIT 3-4
19. ATL
20. HOU
21. CIN

Ran into a couple of Florida players at the airport. They say the players from the combine think the electronic timer at the combine was not functioning properly.

Ran into a couple of Florida players at the airport. They say the players from the combine think the electronic timer at the combine was not functioning properly.

Wow, so Holliday and Ford are even faster than the fastest of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST