PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCaffrey joins Fournette, neither are playing in their school's Bowl games

Status
Not open for further replies.
OU's DL Charles Walker left his the team in November to prepare for the draft.

It's the smart thing to do, but I don't like it. Think of all their teammates who gave so much all season long only to watch the best player on the team quit on them at the last minute for their own personal interest. I think it sucks. There's no sense of team, loyalty, or competitiveness there. And can't they get insurancy anyway in case they get hurt?

How would you like to see Bennett or Hightower leave the team before the playoffs saying they have earned their money and are preparing for free agency?
some guys get insurance but most cant afford it, its also a fraction of what they would make in the NFL. Most of these schools dont give a **** what happens to these guys, if they tear an ACL they will just cut their scholarship

How would you like to see Bennett or Hightower leave the team before the playoffs saying they have earned their money and are preparing for free agency?

In the NFL, a player's value during free agency can be dramatically affected by their playoff performance(s). Think about how many players' free agent market has gone through the roof due to their playoff play. Joe Flacco anyone? Eli Manning? An NFL player in a contract year who skips the playoffs is likely committing career suicide. At the least, he's taking a good aim at his big toe.

some guys get insurance but most cant afford it
They can all afford it. If they get hurt the premium comes out of the payment. If they don't get hurt it comes out of the contract. The premium is generally not paid up front.

It's the smart thing to do, but I don't like it. Think of all their teammates who gave so much all season long only to watch the best player on the team quit on them at the last minute for their own personal interest. I think it sucks. There's no sense of team, loyalty, or competitiveness there. And can't they get insurancy anyway in case they get hurt?

But they are paid for post season and can make a lot of money in free agency with a good playoff run--see Vonn Miller.

An NFL player in a contract year who skips the playoffs is likely committing career suicide. At the least, he's taking a good aim at his big toe.
If you were with an NFL team would you ask him about this and how you could be assured that he wouldn't do the same thing in four years? I know that I would ask that.

OU's DL Charles Walker left his the team in November to prepare for the draft.

His was a different situation as he had missed a month due to a serious concussion and it wasn't clear if he would even play again that year.

I'm not much of a college sports fan largely because of how corrupt the system is, but I don't like how these guys are letting their teammates down. Belichick always says he likes players who show a love and passion for the game.

The thing is we are only seeing this in meaningless bowl games. We aren't seeing anyone from Alabama or Clemson make the same declaration.

That's the key issue, I agree. There's such a proliferation of meaningless bowl games today -- 41 played last year, so many that a lot of slots had to be filled with teams with non-winning records. They don't count toward your team's record, the don't advance you toward any goal, they're just vanity projects by some sponsor.

If a player sat out a conference game or one of the big six bowls, it would be clear selfishness. But how much of a moral obligation does a young man have to risk his career for the AutoNation Cure Bowl or the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl?

That's the key issue, I agree. There's such a proliferation of meaningless bowl games today -- 41 played last year, so many that a lot of slots had to be filled with teams with non-winning records. They don't count toward your team's record, the don't advance you toward any goal, they're just vanity projects by some sponsor.

If a player sat out a conference game or one of the big six bowls, it would be clear selfishness. But how much of a moral obligation does a young man have to risk his career for the AutoNation Cure Bowl or the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl?
Just curious, the Cardinals and Rams play Week 17. How would you feel about a FA to be forgoing a relatively small paycheck to protect himself in a meaningless game ? Maybe Chandler Jones will do it :eek:

Can of worms - opened.

Interesting quote:

All these young guys deciding to skip their bowl games. I would do anything to play one more time with my brothers in that scarlet and gray.

Ezekiel Elliott
@EzekielElliot
Yes it is an interesting quote, especially considering that he had a year of eligibility left and could have, at this very moment, been preparing for Clemson instead of Detroit.

So I guess when he says he "would do anything" he means "anything except give up his millions of dollars." Which is kind of the point of this whole thread.

Yes it is an interesting quote, especially considering that he had a year of eligibility left and could have, at this very moment, been preparing for Clemson instead of Detroit.

So I guess when he says he "would do anything" he means "anything except give up his millions of dollars." Which is kind of the point of this whole thread.
It's a little different as he didn't commit to this season. The team could plan around it, he wasn't part of the team, the scholarship could go to someone else, etc.

Just curious, the Cardinals and Rams play Week 17. How would you feel about a FA to be forgoing a relatively small paycheck to protect himself in a meaningless game ? Maybe Chandler Jones will do it :eek:

Can of worms - opened.
It wouldn't bother me because it's not my team, but I think it would be extremely unwise because I can't imagine a player doing such a thing and not having it impact his value on the open market.

It's a little different as he didn't commit to this season. The team could plan around it, he wasn't part of the team, the scholarship could go to someone else, etc.
Considering the vast number of coaches who leave their teams prior to bowl games so they can go to a better job, I just don't have any sympathy for teams when a player does something similar.

And I highly doubt the fans of the Tigers or Cardinal are going to really get upset that they are losing their star player in the Citrus and Sun Bowls. Quite honestly, if I were a fan of one of those teams, I'd have no problem giving extra experience to the guys who will be here next year. It really isn't something I see many people getting upset over.

It wouldn't bother me because it's not my team, but I think it would be extremely unwise because I can't imagine a player doing such a thing and not having it impact his value on the open market.
Right but it could be your team as unlikely as that seems right now.

You're right that it very likely would affect his market - but I'm not sure this won't. Before I used a 1st or 2nd round pick on McCaffrey - or a top 15 pick on Fournette, I'd want an answer on quitting on your team.

Right but it could be your team as unlikely as that seems right now.

You're right that it very likely would affect his market - but I'm not sure this won't. Before I used a 1st or 2nd round pick on McCaffrey - or a top 15 pick on Fournette, I'd want an answer on quitting on your team.
NFL GM's aren't going to give a care. You think Belichick would pass on McCaffrey because he skipped The Sun Bowl???

Did he ever bail mid-season? If he did, then he would be being hypocritical. Leaving between seasons is not the issue. Last time I checked, bowl games are still part of the team's schedule for the season.

Not the attitude of a warrior. OK we got to this final battle, I know we've been fighting hard up until now. Sorry guys I'm gonna bail. I guarantee this kind of thing registers on Belichick's radar and he doesn't like it, with his military background this is pretty much a big red flag. Not saying he would never sign one of these guys, but I'm saying everything else being equal, he'll go for the team player.

Who would be more likely to buy into the Patriot's Way?

NFL GM's aren't going to give a care. You think Belichick would pass on McCaffrey because he skipped The Sun Bowl???
Probably not but I would absolutely ask the question and whether he will prioritize his contract or his team going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes