PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Intoductory Press Conference

It's going to be a crazy season...

I'd say 4 wins.... but I think I'm being generous.
What are you basing that on? YOu are literally looking at a box and trying to guess whats in inside.. It's way too early to judge. We don't even have a qb or coordinators yet.

What are you basing that on? YOu are literally looking at a box and trying to guess whats in inside.. It's way too early to judge. We don't even have a qb or coordinators yet.
We have a QB.

Is Mayo always looking at skin color so he can go around looking for racism in a locker room? There's red flags here with Mayo and what he's all about. Mayo is fully invested into DEI, finding racism and in a locker room, this is not good.
WTF?

Play the video again and listen to him. He said, "They selected me to be a black head coach." This one of the most odd things I've heard in sports for a while. And it's made worse by him saying the world should look like his locker room. And he says he's not colorblind so he can see the racism. Is Mayo always looking at skin color so he can go around looking for racism in a locker room? There's red flags here with Mayo and what he's all about. Mayo is fully invested into DEI, finding racism and in a locker room, this is not good. He should hire the best coaches, find the best players and not be focused on making the percentage of skin colors look exactly like the world. Him being hyperfocused on color of skin is probably going to cause divisions. Most teammates don't care what color skin the players have, they look right past that, because that's their teammates they go to battle with.

Mayo could have phrased it better but the reaction to his comments is quite interesting. It's hardly a red flag.. this whole labelling things as woke too is just limited thinking. He didn't bring up the subject of color. He was asked a direct question so as to say he is hyper focussed on color when he spoke about it once after being asked a direct question about color is just being melodramatic. Sure it raised some eyebrows and if ti carries on at that level then it's worth noting but to react so strongly to just one answer is overeacting

Let me explain the points that I thought were obvious but based upon responses clearly aren’t.
We hired a HC to run the franchise.
I saw one that at his first opportunity gave no clear communication about what he wants to make the team into.

I didn’t hear:
-We want to be physical and beat the crap out of opponents
-we want to build a fast athletic team
-we want to play commentary football
-We need to build a team around a QB
-We will have a top defense and prioritize that
-we will be the most prepared and discipline team
-we will be about having fun out there

Or anything like that.
I didn’t even hear, when asked when does he expect to make the playoffs, something like “we will go into every game expecting to win, and my goal is to make the playoffs year 1”

Instead we are seeing the OC leave, and with it the only offensive scheme Mayo has ever played or coached with being terminated. So we will be brining in an OC who will bring an offense that Mayo has never been around and will have no say in.
We are seeing DCs being interviewed from NO, Carolina and Denver that do not have experience in the only defense Mayo has ever coached or played in, so if appears the no echo chamber approach will mean we are changing the defensive system too.
We are interview outside for special teams, so that system appears to also be changing to something Mayo has never worked with.

So we have an inexperienced guy hiring people he has no experience with who run different systems than he has ever been around telling us his priority is no echo chamber, after giving no clear description of an identity he wants to create.

For me, this is a big problem. I guess if you hire a bad coach you would want him to be removed the identity of the team, but I was hoping we hired a good one, and these issues mean that won’t matter because our success will now depend on the identity the assistants decide to roll out.

Agreed, this is alarming. The entire football operation is en route to being gutted and helmed by neophytes creating an expansion team vibe. I'm all for giving Kraft and Mayo the benefit of a doubt but it feels ominous, with no firm sense of direction articulated by either the head coach or front office (at least publicly). They have just seven months to build a football team.

I keep coming back to the conclusion that Kraft let the best tailor-made EXPERIENCED candidate slip through his fingers in Mike Vrabel because of this man crush on Mayo -- the guy who calls him "Thunder." Ugh.

Agreed, this is alarming. The entire football operation is en route to being gutted and helmed by neophytes creating an expansion team vibe. I'm all for giving Kraft and Mayo the benefit of a doubt but it feels ominous, with no firm sense of direction from either the head coach or front office (at least publicly). They have just seven months to build a football team.

I keep coming back to the conclusion that Kraft let the best tailor-made EXPERIENCED candidate slip through his fingers in Mike Vrabel because of this man crush on Mayo -- the guy who calls him "Thunder." Ugh.
And the really criminal part, is that this defense is not an expansion team defense. And if they do build everything right - by the time it's done, the defense will need to be overhauled.

And the really criminal part, is that this defense is not an expansion team defense. And if they do build everything right - by the time it's done, the defense will need to be overhauled.

Folks are underestimating how monumental this organizational reset will end up being the way they are going about it. Remember, they're redoing the front office AND coaching staff at the same time. Rebuilding one or the other in one offseason, even with an EXPERIENCED HC or GM, is daunting enough. These people better be putting in 80-hour weeks starting a while ago.

love how its all doom and gloom.....as if we were coming off a playoff season

we were 4-13 with Bill and our trajectory was not getting better..

one thing I will say is I find it odd they didn't even pivot at all once Vrabel became available.

now maybe Mayo ends up as good. we don't know. that was the plan when Vrabel was embedded in Tennessee. But to not even look at him as an option

one thing I will say is I find it odd they didn't even pivot at all once Vrabel became available.

now maybe Mayo ends up as good. we don't know. that was the plan when Vrabel was embedded in Tennessee. But to not even look at him as an option
There was never going to be a pivot. Mayo was always the choice since last year. Again, in front of microphones and everything.

Agreed, this is alarming. The entire football operation is en route to being gutted and helmed by neophytes creating an expansion team vibe. I'm all for giving Kraft and Mayo the benefit of a doubt but it feels ominous, with no firm sense of direction articulated by either the head coach or front office (at least publicly). They have just seven months to build a football team.

I wonder if Kraft was originally given that name at Orchids of Asia

I really don't get why anybody wants Vrabel. He literally just got fired because he failed to do anything of note for years with a talented team (his biggest accomplishment was knocking the mediocre 2019 Pats out of the playoffs). The whole reason he doesn't have a job is because he wanted full front office control and nobody trusts him enough to get it. So why would we get rid of Bill so that more people had autonomy in the organization and then get a guy who wants to be in almost the exact same position we were trying to get rid of? Especially for a guy who is coming off 2 losing seasons and has won less playoff games than us in the last 6 years since he got his job.

Loved Vrabel as a player, but the Titans were a very talented squad that did next to nothing.

Not saying Mayo isn't guaranteed to hit it out of the park or anything, but plenty of coaches have done well in their first crack at the job. It's far rarer for a guy that fizzled out somewhere else to come to another team and have success. Belichick and Reid are exceptions, not the rule.

I really don't get why anybody wants Vrabel. He literally just got fired because he failed to do anything of note for years with a talented team (his biggest accomplishment was knocking the mediocre 2019 Pats out of the playoffs). The whole reason he doesn't have a job is because he wanted full front office control and nobody trusts him enough to get it. So why would we get rid of Bill so that more people had autonomy in the organization and then get a guy who wants to be in almost the exact same position we were trying to get rid of? Especially for a guy who is coming off 2 losing seasons and has won less playoff games than us in the last 6 years since he got his job.

Loved Vrabel as a player, but the Titans were a very talented squad that did next to nothing.

Not saying Mayo isn't guaranteed to hit it out of the park or anything, but plenty of coaches have done well in their first crack at the job. It's far rarer for a guy that fizzled out somewhere else to come to another team and have success. Belichick and Reid are exceptions, not the rule.
This is also a totally fair take. It's along the same lines of trading a first rounder for Justin Fields.

love how its all doom and gloom.....as if we were coming off a playoff season

we were 4-13 with Bill and our trajectory was not getting better..
Yup. It would be one thing if the current Patriots were a success story and we were ripping apart a juggernaut. But this isn't the 1998 Bulls who were stacked and could have kept going for a few years. The franchise has been limping from mediocrity to awfulness. The dynasty was over.

That should be your response to Mayo talking about how his locker room should look like the world, and how he is not colorblind so that he can see racism. This is a disasterous way to pick and team and going to create problems in a locker room if he's going around looking for racism on his team

It's amusing to see all the rah rah ReAl PaTrIoT fans take a 180 degree turn and criticize everything the Pats are doing. The same fans that questioned the fandom of anyone that criticized Belichick are doing the same now that he is gone.

It goes to show how hypocritical they all were. Just a bunch of Belichick jock sniffers. I hope they all follow their one and only saviour to Atlanta and become Falcon fans. Hahaha, this is awesome.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back