PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Intoductory Press Conference

There is more in that one paragraph than Mayo offered in the entire press conference and he was coming in to a new franchise.
BB also had been a head coach before and there was a lot of drama coming from the Jets. I don’t see a total vision in his comments like some wanted from yesterday’s conference.

Not sure why he gives me Tomlin vibes. Could be his attempt to be so open and transparent.

Agree. Not sure why it is deemed honorable to be incredibly open and transparent when it is determental to any business. We can be open and transparent with family and friends, but a business being publically open and transparent is not a competitive approach. But maybe that is why the Krafts thought Robyn should be advising Mayo.

Congratulations, you’ve made your first semi-reasonable post. Took 11,000 posts but I’m proud of you.

What if Mayo wins 8 games and is in the hunt for the playoffs with a substantial improvement from this past season? That would be a perfectly acceptable result for his first season, no?
they won 4 games; anything more than that is grounds for another season

I don't know that he is, I just had heard he was one of the ones Mayo was going to keep.

OK. Got it. Some posters seem to think Covington is a great coach and I was wondering why.

I don't know that he is, I just had heard he was one of the ones Mayo was going to keep.
He wants to keep Steve also.

Mayo is being consistent.

The board is looking pretty divided on this hire.

Yeah, not sure why. :rolleyes:
Though I find your reply funny, on second read, if someone does not know me, I can see some possible implications that may be far from being true.
1. Can across as racial. Far from it, Tomlin tries too hard to appear as transparent but actually does say anything.
2. Ageism : Tomlin was almost about same age as Mayo when he became a coach.

I am a huge black dude and young so can make sense if I am any of these against Mayo.
He just gives me that vibe of Tomlin.

He should see race because that is the only reason he got the job.

Lightning quick Kraft hired Mayo because he wanted to avoid being called racist.

Krafts biggest mistake, was naming Mayo as a possible head coach a couple years ago.

I
No, his biggest mistake was sticking with Mac when BB wanted to trade him. Then he fires BB. I guess it was a mutual parting indeed.

Last edited:
OK. Got it. Some posters seem to think Covington is a great coach and I was wondering why.
I think that he is well-regarded as an up-and-coming DC candidate, which informs opinions to an extent, and also the fact that the DL has improved in recent seasons. I can’t really speak to it too much beyond that. I think he also got rave reviews last year as the Senior Bowl DC in ‘23.

I think that he is well-regarded as an up-and-coming DC candidate, which informs opinions to an extent, and also the fact that the DL has improved in recent seasons. I can’t really speak to it too much beyond that. I think he also got rave reviews last year as the Senior Bowl DC in ‘23.

The DL took a step backwards in 2023. I am wondering why he is well-regarded.

I've been lead to believe that he's a good Defensive Line Coach. How good, I'm not certain. Other than that, there's not much to know.

The DL took a step backwards in 2023. I am wondering why he is well-regarded.
I've heard that he's a good D-Line Coach, but you're right. I don't think any member of the coaching staff is invaluable at this point.

I've been lead to believe that he's a good Defensive Line Coach. Other than that, there's not much to know.

But our DL was average to below average in 2023. What makes our 2023 DL good?

The board is looking pretty divided on this hire.

What bothers me most is Kraft committing to Mayo as "heir apparent" so long ago. Then lo and behold, who I consider a superior candidate in Mike Vrabel unexpectedly springs free and gets no consideration. Hopefully Mayo works out but I would've been thrilled to get Vrabel.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back