PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Intoductory Press Conference

Haha. I get the cynicism…I’m not a Mac guy BUT, something to be said for at least having the balls to show your face and TRY to be a leader after that season. I’ll give him respect for not hiding in a cave somewhere.
Come on now. The guy just went to a press conference where he knew all the media would be. It was just a PR move. Don’t need balls to assist a press conference. What would happen? All the media screaming at him « you suck » ?

He just trying to get in the new coach good books because he knows his place in the team isn’t guaranteed.

If Mac Jones is the starter next year then you’ll know right away that Mayo will not be long for HC

Mac being at the press conference is 100% just pure *ss licking.

He is the typical guy trying to be friends with the new coach hoping that the coach will play him because he likes him.

That's nonsense, several players reportedly were in attendance. Mac probably was at the facility and felt obligated to be there as quarterback/team leader.

We have a diverse owner who somehow managed to win 6 titles.

Did the previous coaching regimen leave titles on the line because they weren't monocultural enough?

If the players are happy to have a black coach, what does that mean?

Does it mean they would be unhappy with a white coach?

Yikes indeed.
Right--in logic, Of p, then q (if minority coach, then happy) does not mean if non p, then non q. That is known as a denying the antecedent formal fallacy.
My sense is that having a black coach, is a plus for most black players, and a fair number of non black players (white or otherwiuse). It does not necessarily trump lal--I suspect the Reids and McVays and campbells of the world have enough other personality pluses that it would entail comparable favorability to being a minority. It wouldnt surprise me, if all things being equal, even BB kind of thinks that way--after all, he commemorated the start of the COVID season by wering a visor of the great black player-coach Fritz Pollard.

Yes indeed, that is a privileged take. If you told people during the civil rights era to “just stop thinking about it” we wouldn’t have made any advancement in civil rights during the 20th century. While the situation isn’t as bad today as it was in the 1960s, it still exists and remains problematic. And that means discussions must continue toward bettering ourselves as a society.

“Stop thinking about it” is a very privileged thing to say. So yes I completely disagree on that.

And there we have it, I guess we can now proceed beyond this conversation.

Jerod sees color. It's not a good look. I 100% this is not a healthy thing.

If you think that's ok, then there's nothing left to discuss.

Right--in logic, Of p, then q (if minority coach, then happy) does not mean if non p, then non q. That is known as a denying the antecedent formal fallacy.
My sense is that having a black coach, is a plus for most black players, and a fair number of non black players (white or otherwiuse). It does not necessarily trump lal--I suspect the Reids and McVays and campbells of the world have enough other personality pluses that it would entail comparable favorability to being a minority. It wouldnt surprise me, if all things being equal, even BB kind of thinks that way--after all, he commemorated the start of the COVID season by wering a visor of the great black player-coach Fritz Pollard.

So, since the majority of the players are black. Why not have a black coach in perpetuity since that's what is apparently ok.

A favorable interpretation of that when paired with Kraft talking about his "instincts" is that Kraft had a feeling about Mayo being special back then and wanted him to come on the staff, then observed Mayo as he worked on the coaching staff. Over time his work, and other teams viewing him as a Head Coach candidate via interviews, confirmed Kraft's instincts, so he wrote the succession clause into Mayo's deal in the 2023 offseason.
Did he actually say it was him who wanted him on the staff in 2019?

Everyone sees colour. Anyone who says otherwise is lying or has only ever known a one colour world.

Everyone "literally" sees color but he said it's important to see color in order to properly fight racism.

It's a weird thing to be talking about during your introduction to the football team.

Everyone "literally" sees color but he said it's important to see color in order to properly fight racism.

It's a weird thing to be talking about during your introduction to the football team.
Is it? Think of it from his perspective. He is the first Black HC of one of the most successful NFL franchises while Black HCs are a tiny minority. He is proud of it as he should be. Same thing with a lot of firsts (e.g. first in family to graduate university, phd...). Just a milestone worth being proud of.

Don't think it's anymore than that. You are reading too much into it.

Yes he is correct about that. And he’s far from the only athlete or coach to have shared the same sentiments whether in post game interviews, press conferences, or on court/field displays.

It’s a common thing so I don’t get why some of you are surprised or bent out of shape over it. Wasn’t a big deal to do so.

It's clear being a trusted insider was more important to Kraft at this juncture of his life/business.

Mayo is likable, and seems to have a healthy understanding of leaning on other experienced coaches/front office people...
But, the 2 or 3 references to how guys lift in the weight room as evaluation metrics is certainly worrisome!
Maybe he means certain positions like OL or DL? Otherwise yes a weird comment.

Agree 100%.

Plus all these entitled fans think they are owed answers/explanations for what transpired during a game.

I'd like for Mayo to add a bit more color into decisions but at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

He owes me nothing
This is a ridiculous take. The team exists because of the fans. Every member of the team is accountable to the fans.

Why do you think teams care about public perception? Out of the goodness of their heart?

I think Onwenu is the priority. I like Dugger, but I thought he took some plays off this year.
Yeah Dugger wasn't put in positions advantageous to him like Last season... that's due to not having a FS.. yes Onwenu is a priority

Is it? Think of it from his perspective. He is the first Black HC of one of the most successful NFL franchises while Black HCs are a tiny minority. He is proud of it as he should be. Same thing with a lot of firsts (e.g. first in family to graduate university, phd...). Just a milestone worth being proud of.

Don't think it's anymore than that. You are reading too much into it.

It was important for Jerod to say it and correct his boss during his introductory press conference. Should we not acknowledge it?
Yes he is correct about that. And he’s far from the only athlete or coach to have shared the same sentiments whether in post game interviews, press conferences, or on court/field displays.

It’s a common thing so I don’t get why some of you are surprised or bent out of shape over it. Wasn’t a big deal to do so.

So things are more true because a lot of people agree with it?

Im not bent out of shape about it. I said it was fair to question the validity of such a statement. Is it gonna matter when they're 3 and 10 heading into December and the team is a mess? Are you gonna care then?

It matters to Jerod. It doesn't matter to me.

See how easy that is? It doesn't make you and Jerod more right.

It was important for Jerod to say it and correct his boss during his introductory press conference. Should we not acknowledge it?

So things are more true because a lot of people agree with it?

Im not bent out of shape about it. I said it was fair to question the validity of such a statement. Is it gonna matter when they're 3 and 10 heading into December and the team is a mess? Are you gonna care then?

It matters to Jerod. It doesn't matter to me.

See how easy that is? It doesn't make you and Jerod more right.
You said it yourself. It matters to him. That is enough for him to say it. He is not committing a crime. No reason to get so bent out of shape over it.

If Jones was at that press conference, they intend to have him as the starter next year - that's a pretty clear signal.
I really hope you are wrong but I agree if the QB is there that means they want him there next year. I hope at least not as QB1.

Some very interesting comments on this thread. Whenever the topic of race comes up, I try to imagine where the person is coming from when they speak about it. This could include many different things not the least of where they grew up, childhood experiences etc., .

I'm almost as old as Kraft and grew up in MA. As a young guy in the Air Force during the 60's, I worked on a Crash Rescue team as part of the Fire Dept. on an Air Force Base in Germany. At the beginning of my third and last year there, I had an opportunity to become a crew chief on a crash truck. The funny thing about this is that I overheard the Station Chief who was a career guy from Georgia tell another Sergeant with him say "I've got to promote xxx (me) to crew chief and as he filled out the roster of 3 more guys for my crew who all happened to be black, I also overheard him say "I'm giving him B, B, and B for a crew because Ni------ers and Yankees belong together". I'll never forget that. LOL My brand new crew were all from the South and here I was this young Yankee kid.

I was only 20 years old at the time and my job of crew chief came with a tremendous amount of responsibility. My crew and I sat next to the runway on 3 hour shifts watching fighters take off and land and after a year of countless conversations, we really got know each other and one of the things I learned from them was what it was like being black and growing up in the south during the 50's. All I can say about that is wow! In all honesty, I really didn't have the personal depth at the time to fully understand what they were talking about but I can surely understand it now. We all became very close and I'll never forget they used to jokingly call me grey boy and great white leader etc.,. :)

A lot of time has passed since my time in Germany. I've now lived in a rural part of the South for quite some time and still come across many people like that Sergeant from Georgia. I'll always be grateful for my experiences in Germany. . .

We're going in circles. It matters to HIM but does it matter to WINNING?
Lol the press conference is not about winning. It's about him becoming HC and celebrating it. That is a big deal for anyone and he is allowed to express his pride and what it means to him.

Plenty of other opps to talk about

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back