PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Intoductory Press Conference

A favorable interpretation of that when paired with Kraft talking about his "instincts" is that Kraft had a feeling about Mayo being special back then and wanted him to come on the staff, then observed Mayo as he worked on the coaching staff. Over time his work, and other teams viewing him as a Head Coach candidate via interviews, confirmed Kraft's instincts, so he wrote the succession clause into Mayo's deal in the 2023 offseason.
The point about interest from other teams is a good one. I read that Mayo was seriously considered by the Eagles, and mainly was second because they wanted an offensive focus. It would be better if 2019 was an inclination but not a conviction until the contract last year.

You can't seem to understand that it has nothing to do with quotas or whatever. It has everything to do with wins. You act as if the old boy's network has gone unnoticed by black players. It hasn't. Having people who have more a sense of you because they've had your experiences can mean that you'll be a lot more successful, and it will translate to wins.

This is no different than corporate America and why it prizes diversity of thought and experience. It makes for stronger companies and a better sense of how to sell whatever they are selling.

I find this a bit ironic coming from people who criticized Belichick for being too old, out of touch, out of new ideas.

As I said. If it has every thing to do with wins, then will the color of his skin matter when he loses? Or does it only matter now and when he wins?

His skin doesn't matter. It never did.

If it matters to you then it says a lot about who you are. Not me.

I think Onwenu is the priority. I like Dugger, but I thought he took some plays off this year.
He did but bigger issue is he just isn’t a great safety in the traditional sense. He’s a LB in a safety body that looks bad when asked to cover.

Issue is, that isn’t worth the price he’ll want.

Players in all sports are identified as head coach/managers while they play and have succeeded when given the job.
Many are seen as having that potential, but not that many are assumed to become such until the inclinations are verified by actual coordinator experience or whatever (e.g., Kellen Moore). At least in football.

You're literally projecting. This word soup doesn't change me or who I am and I don't need your approval but the accusation at hand because you have a political bias towards the discussion that disagrees with me is a weird flex.

As a self identifying liberal who votes blue no matter who, I am well aware of what marginalized groups face on the daily.

What I don't agree with is how it's relevant to the job at jand. It literally is not. In mayos defense. He didn't make this claim. You are by saying it will somehow increase work place morale by seeing "on of us"

You won't capitulate that it has nothing to do with football and that it won't translates to wins so what it really means is that a couple snowflake's triggered you into your natural habitat of trying to put morons in their place. You lack tolerance true tolerance.
You’ve been all over the place. I’ll keep it real simple and from your own words:

You stated that it was a losing attitude for a black player to be happy that one of their black mentors ended up a head coach.

From a self proclaimed dyed in the wool liberal who says he’s well versed in the issues surrounding marginalized people, it sure is a dumbass take.

Which btw it doesn’t matter what way your political leanings go, such a thing a thing is quite understandable for a black athlete to feel proud of another black man for achieving something that isn’t incredibly common, although it is getting a little better as time goes on.

Mac being at the press conference is 100% just pure *ss licking.

He is the typical guy trying to be friends with the new coach hoping that the coach will play him because he likes him.

As I said. If it has every thing to do with wins, then will the color of his skin matter when he loses? Or does it only matter now and when he wins?

His skin doesn't matter. It never did.

If it matters to you then it says a lot about who you are. Not me.

By having a better sense of where people are coming from and what their experiences are, you enrich them and you enrich the team. It leads to more wins.

He did but bigger issue is he just isn’t a great safety in the traditional sense. He’s a LB in a safety body that looks bad when asked to cover.

Issue is, that isn’t worth the price he’ll want.
Wondering if Mapu will develop as a replacement if we lose Dugger. Almost identical in size, but Dugger is the more athletic of the two.

You must hate the salary cap
I do. It's nothing more than a "Participation Trophy" for keeping cheap owners and chronic mismanagement in the league.

Wondering if Mapu will develop as a replacement if we lose Dugger. Almost identical in size, but Dugger is the more athletic of the two.
I think that was the plan. Who knows what Mayo thinks though. Dugger never really flashed great instincts so that will likely be the deciding factor. I flat out don’t want Dugger if the price is $10M or more/yr which is likely will be. Just…not a game changer.

He is the typical guy trying to be friends with the new coach hoping that the coach will play him because he likes him.
Guess I can’t blame him though. After watching last season I’d be hesitant to even give that guy another look at being a starter. Gotta do what you’ve gotta do to get another chance to at least compete.

Haha. I get the cynicism…I’m not a Mac guy BUT, something to be said for at least having the balls to show your face and TRY to be a leader after that season. I’ll give him respect for not hiding in a cave somewhere.

In regards to diversity and inclusion, Mayo said he wants the locker room to look a certain way, the way the world "should" look. That to me is concerning. The looker room doesn't need to look like anything but a bunch of winners, football players and coaches who are good and can win games. DEI is communist nonsense, it's a branch of critical theory and it has no place in a meritocracy. Football (and professional sports) is the ultimate example of meritocracy, performance and talent based profession. Get that commie/marxist drivel the **** out of here

A bit of SJW comes across from Mayo, for sure. That's why the "I'm here to develop people" claim was a head-scratcher. OK, Jerod and Robert K. are cognizant of raising awareness through diversity, caring about folks and making this a better world. That's fine. Hopefully we'll hear soon about cutting edge improvements to offensive philosophy and bold personnel moves planned for the draft/free agency.

All can say is judge him from week 1 in September and beyond.

Fair enough.

You’ve been all over the place. I’ll keep it real simple and from your own words:

You stated that it was a losing attitude for a black player to be happy that one of their black mentors ended up a head coach.

From a self proclaimed dyed in the wool liberal who says he’s well versed in the issues surrounding marginalized people, it sure is a dumbass take.

Which btw it doesn’t matter what way your political leanings go, such a thing a thing is quite understandable for a black athlete to feel proud of another black man for achieving something that isn’t incredibly common, although it is getting a little better as time goes on.

I'll make it quite simple for you. It literally doesn't matter and we as a people need to stop focusing on trivial things like sex, race, creed, sexuality and whatever else you can think of. I understand that you think this is a privilege take. Do you understand that I disagree with you? Can you accept that?

Stop encouraging discord. It's not healthy.

What jerod said wasn't inclusion.
By having a better sense of where people are coming from and what their experiences are, you enrich them and you enrich the team. It leads to more wins.

I understand where Jerod is coming from. I just don't think it's relevant in the work place. Encouraging "I do see color" takes is derogatory and tells me that Jerod perhaps needs some growing to do.

I'll make it quite simple for you. It literally doesn't matter and we as a people need to stop focusing on trivial things like sex, race, creed, sexuality and whatever else you can think of. I understand that you think this is a privilege take. Do you understand that I disagree with you? Can you accept that?

Stop encouraging discord. It's not healthy.

What jerod said wasn't inclusion.

I understand where Jerod is coming from. I just don't think it's relevant in the work place. Encouraging "I do see color" takes is derogatory and tells me that Jerod perhaps needs some growing to do.
Yes indeed, that is a privileged take. If you told people during the civil rights era to “just stop thinking about it” we wouldn’t have made any advancement in civil rights during the 20th century. While the situation isn’t as bad today as it was in the 1960s, it still exists and remains problematic. And that means discussions must continue toward bettering ourselves as a society.

“Stop thinking about it” is a very privileged thing to say. So yes I completely disagree on that.

And there we have it, I guess we can now proceed beyond this conversation.

Anyone notice how handsy Kraft was with Mayo? Can't imagine him grabbing Bill's wrist like that

“Needed a break from Bill” when referring to his stint working in finance
He must have said it tongue in cheek? Was he serious and were those the exact words? If so that was stupid.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back