PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Intoductory Press Conference

Great answer about racism by Jerome to add context, and differ, from Kraft's answer.

It needed to be said because there are so few Black NFL coaches relative to the people who coach football at all levels and play it.
Did it really NEED to be said? I'm just asking a question (not making a social commentary).

They will with NEW MONEY. Which is going to be needed to keep them long term..
believe as you will.

I don't expect Barmore or Peppers to get extensions soon. However, I am fine with spending the money now.

It's far too predictable which posters will take issue with Mayo bringing up diversity and being a black HC. In an otherwise benign press conference, it's not difficult to see why certain people will be agitated about it. Trigger-some stuff from Mayo.

Its relevant to him and relevant to many black players. Learn to deal with reality, bud.

How does it translate to wins?

Cause that's whats important to me.

It's far too predictable which posters will take issue with Mayo bringing up diversity and being a black HC. In an otherwise benign press conference, it's not difficult to see why certain people will be agitated about it. Trigger-some stuff from Mayo.

Its relevant to him and relevant to many black players. Learn to deal with reality, bud.

I would question the wisdom of promoting a LB coach to HC, who has a pet nickname for the owner, without regard to ethnicity. Mayo lacks experience & got the job by sucking up to Kraft. Why do you think everyone else in the organization is jumping ship?

This team will be lucky to win 5 games next year.

It shouldn't be. Winning should be relevant.

If Jones was at that press conference, they intend to have him as the starter next year - that's a pretty clear signal.

I think that's a stretch. Seems like players really like Mayo, and until he's shipped out Mac is still on the team. I think he was just there to support a guy he respects. I highly doubt, even if they weren't planning on Mac being the #1 option, that they would have said, "No Mac, you can't come."

Some of you (and I'm not singling you out @TommyD4207 on this one, just piggy backing on this post) are REALLY reading into this in a way that feels a tad bit biased. In and of itself, this press conference tells us nothing. Anyone who thinks they can predict anything about this season based on this is just seeing/hearing what they already thought going in. (EDIT: typo)

Come to think of it - isn't it against league policy for Mac, Uche and Cardona to be in the team facility at this point in the season?

How does it translate to wins?

Cause that's whats important to me.
Indeed, that is what's important to me as well. If he performs that's awesome, if he doesn't he'll get eventually get cannced. Not sure what else you would've gotten out of my post, I'm merely defending Mayo from an idiotic criticism.

I would question the wisdom of promoting a LB coach to HC, who has a pet nickname for the owner, without regard to ethnicity. Mayo lacks experience & got the job by sucking up to Kraft. Why do you think everyone else in the organization is jumping ship?

This team will be lucky to win 5 games next year.
Pet nickname doesn't mean anything. "Sucking up" or gaining favor with the boss is how most people advance in careers. Is that a surprise to you? Who else is "jumping ship"? Bill loyalists who got passed over and leak crap to the media about him swinging a baseball bat during meetings? Good riddance. The players have made comments suggesting the complete opposite of jumping ship.

Indeed, that is what's important to me as well. If he performs that's awesome, if he doesn't he'll get eventually get cannced. Not sure what else you would've gotten out of my post, I'm merely defending Mayo from an idiotic criticism.

Pet nickname doesn't mean anything. "Sucking up" or gaining favor with the boss is how most people advance in careers. Is that a surprise to you? Who else is "jumping ship"? Bill loyalists who got passed over and leak crap to the media about him swinging a baseball bat during meetings? Good riddance. The players have made comments suggesting the complete opposite of jumping ship.

I think my point was pretty clear. That even though it matters to Mayo, it's not relevant to winning which is what really should matter to him.

Again, will it be relevant when he's losing?

The Press Conf did not help my view of the hire, but it didn’t hurt it either. I chuckled at some parts, cringed at others (calling your boss “Thunder” is a little much for me).

BUT….

Mayo is dead on that you can’t lead players today the way you did 20 years ago, or even 10.

I believe that fact alone was more responsible for BB’s slow demise and the whole “only wants players he likes” narrative than anything else.

I believe he wanted to find old-school mentality, “yessir, whatever you say sir” players which just don’t exist much these days.

This is true in business also.

Under 30 folks want to feel understood, and they want to understand WHY you ask them to do something. There is a pervasive base-level distrust of authority which has to be overcome before you can get the best out of them.

We can rail against it, or understand that it’s the world today and adjust.

Happened to Tom Coughlin WAY before it did Bill so he held on a lot longer than anyone else.

you know, some of the behavior and the calling of old coaches makes a hell of a lot more sense now, though

Whether or not Mac had a point is beside the point. A QB, especially a non-established one, yelling at a coach in front of his teammates (during a game especially) is appallingly unprofessional. It's the opposite of leadership.

It wouldn't surprise me if BB letting Mac get away with that was when he started losing his grip on discipline.

I think BoB going off on players on the sideline is very unprofessional too. Whether the player deserves it or not.

Expectations from a press conference are one thing - let’s see what they do with OC and staff and GM. That’s much more substantial to judge.
Well sure but when you ask them what they are doing about it and they offer nothing concrete, it’s very concerning.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back