PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Coaching Staff [Discuss Coaching Candidates Here!]

So so the coaches around the league not want to work for New England/ Kraft or is it our rookie head coach?

What's going on here.
I think all the coaches are flocking to work for Harris, Tepper, Haslam and Mark Davis, all of which are much better owners than the Krafts. :rolleyes:

So so the coaches around the league not want to work for New England/ Kraft or is it our rookie head coach?

What's going on here.
IMO it’s because the lack of a GM / direction … someone held accountable. Players and agents don’t know who is running the show. I think they need to say Wolf is the GM.

IMO it’s because the lack of a GM / direction … someone held accountable. Players and agents don’t know who is running the show. I think they need to say Wolf is the GM.
I think is what it is as well. I it squarely on Kraft as to why coaches are hesitant to come here. I don’t think it’s a reflection on Mayo at all. He is well regarded and promising.

But you have two guys splitting the duties of a GM. That’s not ideal. It’s like they are trying to protect Groh’s feelings of being passed over. Announce Elliot Wolfe as GM and firmly establish the hierarchy. If that means Groh leaves down the road, so be it.

I’m relieved by the offensive coordinator hire. He is thought to be pretty competent and very well liked. I’m impressed by Wolfe and Mayo for getting someone outside to take the job given the uncertainty in the organization.

I read they're working on finalizing that decision. There's no doubt hiring the HC before the GM was unorthodox. I think they handeled it the best they could given the circumstances. It's only early February. A long way to go.

Nobody knows how all of these coaching /GM hires are ultimately going to pan out. Pats were the 1st to hire the HC and still don't have a GM. WAS was the first to get their GM and the last to hire their HC, and they selected Quinn.

WAS has the #2 pick and #1 in cap space (74M), so they're in a good position.

NE has the #3 pick and #4 in cap space (66M), so they're also in a good position.

I like our chances better.

What's going on here.
Jerod Mayo has no draw in league circles. He's only been coaching since 2019. Most guys are still assistants or just starting out as position coaches after 4 years in the coaching ranks. Mayo makes Head Coach? Thats a quick ascension. I thought DeMeco Ryans was a fast riser, but he's got nothing on Mayo.

Compare that to another first time coach, Brian Callahan, the new Titans HC, who has been in coaching since 2010. Thats a more typical path to the hc position.

Coaches network, build relationships over years. They coach with different guys over the years, catch up at league meetings, build relationships that they can later draw on. Mayo's network isn't that extensive, yet. The guys he may want to hire don't know him. More likely to opt for someone they know. Give him a few seasons, and I dont think he will have any issues finding good, quality coaches, if he doesn't develop them himself.

Good coach. Mayo/Wolfe should give him a call.

If free agency is anything like hiring coaches was then we’re in for a world of hurt.

I think is what it is as well. I it squarely on Kraft as to why coaches are hesitant to come here. I don’t think it’s a reflection on Mayo at all. He is well regarded and promising.

But you have two guys splitting the duties of a GM. That’s not ideal. It’s like they are trying to protect Groh’s feelings of being passed over. Announce Elliot Wolfe as GM and firmly establish the hierarchy. If that means Groh leaves down the road, so be it.

I’m relieved by the offensive coordinator hire. He is thought to be pretty competent and very well liked. I’m impressed by Wolfe and Mayo for getting someone outside to take the job given the uncertainty in the organization.
How do you know coaches are hesitant to come here? Alex Van Pelt didn’t take an interview with a playoff team whose QB was his QB for two seasons with the Browns to accept the Patriots OC position. So, Zac Robinson chose to go to Atlanta with their new HC with whom he was on the Rams’ staff last year. And, Atlanta’s incumbent ST decided to not pull up stakes and stay with Falcons. That doesn’t mean coaches are “reluctant “ to join the Patriots. It just means they had a position they preferred to take or keep.

For those not paying attention or old enough to remember, the Patriots have not had a “GM” in the 30 years the Krafts’ have owned them. Groh’s feelings are not being protected. For now, it appears he has the same responsibilities he’s had for the last few years to organize the information the personnel department gathers, and report it to the decision maker. Before, he reported it to Belichick who solely made the final personnel decisions. Now, he’ll (and this will become clearer as time passes) be passing that information to Jerod Mayo and Eliot Wolf who’ll work in collaboration to make personnel and other staff decisions. If the can’t, ownership will break the tie just like in the 90s with the Terry Glenn pick.

Being a fan should be a fun pastime whether you’re team is up or down. If it isn’t, get another hobby. The excessive handwringing of some of you is just so tedious. None of us have a say in it, so it’s senseless to endlessly shake your fist at everything and complain or ridicule . Let’s hope for the best, see how it works out, and enjoy the ride.

Good coach. Mayo/Wolfe should give him a call.

I heard somewhere last off season that Marrone is really close to Bill O’Brien (on Alabama staff together in 2021?). My take is that doesn’t help the cause of those who wants him on the Pats staff.

How do you know coaches are hesitant to come here? Alex Van Pelt didn’t take an interview with a playoff team whose QB was his QB for two seasons with the Browns to accept the Patriots OC position. So, Zac Robinson chose to go to Atlanta with their new HC with whom he was on the Rams’ staff last year. And, Atlanta’s incumbent ST decided to not pull up stakes and stay with Falcons. That doesn’t mean coaches are “reluctant “ to join the Patriots. It just means they had a position they preferred to take or keep.

For those not paying attention or old enough to remember, the Patriots have not had a “GM” in the 30 years the Krafts’ have owned them. Groh’s feelings are not being protected. For now, it appears he has the same responsibilities he’s had for the last few years to organize the information the personnel department gathers, and report it to the decision maker. Before, he reported it to Belichick who solely made the final personnel decisions. Now, he’ll (and this will become clearer as time passes) be passing that information to Jerod Mayo and Eliot Wolf who’ll work in collaboration to make personnel and other staff decisions. If the can’t, ownership will break the tie just like in the 90s with the Terry Glenn pick.

Being a fan should be a fun pastime whether you’re team is up or down. If it isn’t, get another hobby. The excessive handwringing of some of you is just so tedious. None of us have a say in it, so it’s senseless to endlessly shake your fist at everything and complain or ridicule . Let’s hope for the best, see how it works out, and enjoy the ride.
I don't know for sure but that's what has been reported. That the job wasn't highly sought after. You can dismiss reporting but I'm going by it. And yeah they haven't had an official GM because Belichick was the GM. He has been in charge of football operations for years. And I do think that two guys acting as half GM's isn't a great set up and may have been confusing to candidates interviewing. I think it is probably a mix of confusion about how things were structured and absence of talent that kept some away.

Are we not allowed to talk or speculate about the not so good things or potential issues without being told to stop watching and get another hobby?

I heard somewhere last off season that Marrone is really close to Bill O’Brien (on Alabama staff together in 2021?). My take is that doesn’t help the cause of those who wants him on the Pats staff.
So he’s back to BC? :)

Not him necessarily but there were a bunch of rats in Foxboro leaking stuff to the media. The hit piece on Mayo about ruffling feathers or the one about swinging a bat at mtgs. Mayo's getting rid of the rats is all. Do you blame him?
no there are for sure some people I would get rid of as well, but perhaps not bcs they are rats but rather incompetent in what they are doing like Archord, and other clownscoaches, though Steve seemed to do a good job in the last couple of years, so would not put him there as a necessity to be removed from the staff (of course if he sees better fit for himself elsewhere fine to leave)

no there are for sure some people I would get rid of as well, but perhaps not bcs they are rats but rather incompetent in what they are doing like Archord, and other clownscoaches, though Steve seemed to do a good job in the last couple of years, so would not put him there as a necessity to be removed from the staff (of course if he sees better fit for himself elsewhere fine to leave)
Yes, of course, incompetence comes first (agree on Achord). Thing is, from all these reports, there appeared to be a lot of dysfunction, in-fighting, backstabbing, etc. With a new regime, you have to try to clean this sorta stuff up.

I'm curious about what Brian ends up doing. Does he remain on staff or does he move on. I think that decision will tell us a lot.

Yes, of course, incompetence comes first (agree on Achord). Thing is, from all these reports, there appeared to be a lot of dysfunction, in-fighting, backstabbing, etc. With a new regime, you have to try to clean this sorta stuff up.

I'm curious about what Brian ends up doing. Does he remain on staff or does he move on. I think that decision will tell us a lot.
I think Brian is way lower on the ladder than Steve (though cannot judge how both or either one is perceived within the organization), it might be true that both have been presented with an offer from Mayo to stay within the staff (which tells a lot already) and both just decide that for them it would be better to go outside (which is also fine) or Brian is happy with the offer, perhaps also Steve stays as whatever has been offered to him (HC/assistent?)

if there would have been a problem, I would not have expected them receiving any kind of offer from Mayo (like Archord, Judge and the likes btw hope those failed coaches are shown the door and never come back).

And to be honest I am very happy with Mayo going outside on offense/special teams and not bringing back the outcasts from past like McDaniels etc., its fine to make a change there and brake the habbit, on D#, which was well run the last few years, I would not desire to change much

Last edited:
I think all the coaches are flocking to work for Harris, Tepper, Haslam and Mark Davis, all of which are much better owners than the Krafts. :rolleyes:

This is the two wrongs dont make a right in simple english right here.

Agreed.
Jerod Mayo has no draw in league circles. He's only been coaching since 2019. Most guys are still assistants or just starting out as position coaches after 4 years in the coaching ranks. Mayo makes Head Coach? Thats a quick ascension. I thought DeMeco Ryans was a fast riser, but he's got nothing on Mayo.

Compare that to another first time coach, Brian Callahan, the new Titans HC, who has been in coaching since 2010. Thats a more typical path to the hc position.

Coaches network, build relationships over years. They coach with different guys over the years, catch up at league meetings, build relationships that they can later draw on. Mayo's network isn't that extensive, yet. The guys he may want to hire don't know him. More likely to opt for someone they know. Give him a few seasons, and I dont think he will have any issues finding good, quality coaches, if he doesn't develop them himself.

This is basically how I was seeing it. So, how long will it take before Mayo shakes all this rookie nonsense and people want to be here?

This is basically how I was seeing it. So, how long will it take before Mayo shakes all this rookie nonsense and people want to be here?
Um no one knows. Be patient and give him a chance. See how it looks after two seasons evaluate what to do from there.

People are losing patience like one month into a job. He actually managed to put together a staff, at least the coordinators who could be plenty competent and take us on the upward trajectory.

If the team improves substantially in that time more people will be very much ready to join in on it.

He’s close Bill, too, so you’re probably right.

With the Coordinators named, that means the Pats are on to positional coaches.
It's going to be interesting to see how many of them are kept.

O-Line is the big one on offense if Klemm is gone. What happens with Troy Brown will also be interesting since he's the only remaining guy from the original SB run (fan nostalgia). The fact that he was given the HC Job for one side of the Senior Bowl after being the OC last year makes you wonder how much of a push the NFL is giving him.

On defense, it will be interesting to see if Steve accepts a demotion or is on the move. It will be interesting to see if Brian is retained as well as he's been a very good coach in the secondary..

Agreed.

I don’t know what the 2 wrongs are. Wolf has been around the block…he knows people. Teams and agents know Wolf far more than Groh.

If that makes me wrong…I don’t want to be right.

Agreed.

If he builds a good team - competitive and/or winning ie. shows competence, almost immediately I would think... most people in the NFL are looking for ways to improve their status/positions... If Mayo looks like a winner, they won't hesitate to use that to their advantage...

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back