PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Coaching Staff [Discuss Coaching Candidates Here!]

Yes. I prefer a total redo of the entire offense and ST units. Fire them all.

I would also prefer that a nerd that never played or coached football not be involved in coaching QBs or that ex- college lacrosse players that never played football be coaching football players.

This is some of the stuff Bill was letting happen.
“So, I was told this the other day, and I don’t know it 100% fact. It’s tough to get information out of there. But I heard that Evan Rothstein, who is Matt Patricia’s nerd from Detroit who has never coached a position, college or the NFL, is spearheading the pass-game concepts for the Patriots,” Bedard said.

I don't think Bill gave a **** these past two seasons.

I hope AvP, Covington and Springer bring in coaches that are ex-players or at least have coaching experience in college/NFL for several teams.

So you think Van Pelt was Ohio State's first choice for OC and they settled for O'Brien? And now that Van Pelt has turned down the BC head coaching position, the AD at BC is settling in to discuss the position with O'Brien? No the professionals at Ohio State and BC did not even talk to Van Pelt because he sucks. Dude, he sucks. We are sucking the hind tit - admit it.

You are so warped with your BB hate that anyone that thinks the Van Pelt hire sucks is a BB supporter?

Someone that thinks Patricia as OC was a disaster can not recognize that Van Pelt at OC is not going anywhere as well?

Patricia was obviously a ticking time bomb, and Van Pelt is too. OH, Van Pelt is great at talking to the guys, he identifies with the players so much that Cleveland fired him. Too funny. The dude sucks.

OH he was A Rogers' coach and Aaron loves him. So he is good with new QBs? Van Pelt sucks. He is not good. The sports reporters trying to spin this like Van Pelt is good with new QBs and that is what we need after Mac. BB is not good with rookie QBs and Van Pelt is. Please, spare me the BS.

Last edited:
So you think Van Pelt was Ohio State's first choice for OC and they settled for O'Brien? And now that Van Pelt has turned down the BC head coaching position, the AD at BC is settling in to discuss the position with O'Brien? No the professionals at Ohio State and BC did not even talk to Van Pelt because he sucks. Dude, he sucks. We are sucking the hind tit - admit it.

You are so warped with your BB hate that anyone that thinks the Van Pelt hire sucks is a BB supporter?

Someone that thinks Patricia as OC was a disaster can not recognize that Van Pelt at OC is not going anywhere as well?

Patricia was obviously a ticking time bomb, and Van Pelt is too. OH, Van Pelt is great at talking to the guys, he identifies with the players so much that Cleveland fired him. Too funny. The dude sucks.

OH he was A Rogers' coach and Aaron loves him. So he is good with new QBs? Van Pelt sucks. He is not good. The sports reporters trying to spin this like Van Pelt is good with new QBs and that is what we need after Mac. BB is not good with rookie QBs and Van Pelt is. Please, spare me the BS.
I guess we'll find out. I've always maintained that I'm a players guy. Coaches are important. They serve a function. But at the end of the day, it's about the players.

If Mayo/Wolf don't hit at least a double in this draft and a triple in FAcy, it won't matter who the coach is.

I hope AvP, Covington and Springer bring in coaches that are ex-players or at least have coaching experience in college/NFL for several teams.
Understand that you have a choice between assistants looking for a promotion or veteran coaches with experience and no job.

For example, do you want an 35 year old assistant OL coach that couldn't get a promotion from his team or others, or do you want a veteran with experience with different coaches.

I strongly prefer the veterans. We need some coaching experience on the staff. We got that at OC, It looks like we might be getting that in the OL coach.
================
And just BTW, we are not getting a coach to take a lateral, and we probably are not getting a hot shot assistant who would prefer us to other teams.

B

bob Coached also at bama and bama Fans hated him so how is that argument holding up? You think bob becoming osu OC and avp has Oc jobs in the NFL open for him is an argument pro BOB? I wonder why no one offered bob an oc role in the nfl

Also BOBs offense Output here was not any better than patricias despite bob having actually experience coaching offense and Patricia none , so yeah bob sucks

bob Coached also at bama and bama Fans hated him so how is that argument holding up? You think bob becoming osu OC and avp has Oc jobs in the NFL open for him is an argument pro BOB? I wonder why no one offered bob an oc role in the nfl

Also BOBs offense Output here was not any better than patricias despite bob having actually experience coaching offense and Patricia none , so yeah bob sucks
The Kid Mero Wow GIF by Desus & Mero

Sad Season 1 Episode 1 GIF by NBC

you are funny, why is Steve B a rat?
I wouldn't call him a rat but he's clearly on the side of his fired father and is out looking for another job.

I guess we'll find out. I've always maintained that I'm a players guy. Coaches are important. They serve a function. But at the end of the day, it's about the players.

If Mayo/Wolf don't hit at least a double in this draft and a triple in FAcy, it won't matter who the coach is.

I agree but Xs and Os are critical too. See the Green Bay playoff win over Dallas. Dallas was out coached, so it is not only about the players.

B

My comment was half joking and half true. My point is that the press always tells the new guy is good, but that is not always true. Van Pelt is a rah-rah guy, not an Xs and Os guy, or at least, historically he has not been an Xs and Os type.

The coaching staff is changing for sure. I think it is mostly about the players, but Xs and Os can be critical. We will see but the most important thing is chosing the right rookie QB.

I agree but Xs and Os are critical too. See the Green Bay playoff win over Dallas. Dallas was out coached, so it is not only about the players.
The NYFL has been using the same X's and O's for a century with a few adjustments that eventually get figured out. Dallas was outplayed, not outcoached, especially at QB. It's always about the players unless the coach makes a dumb move.

The "greatest coach in the history of American sports" had a 4-13 season, his 3rd losing season in a row. Did he lose those "critical" X's and O's somewhere or was it the lack of players?

My comment was half joking and half true. My point is that the press always tells the new guy is good, but that is not always true. Van Pelt is a rah-rah guy, not an Xs and Os guy, or at least, historically he has not been an Xs and Os type.

The coaching staff is changing for sure. I think it is mostly about the players, but Xs and Os can be critical. We will see but the most important thing is chosing the right rookie QB.
Well I agree, I am not exactly thrilled by this signing. I did expect one of Caley or the 49ers/lions pass game coordinator to be the new oc because I thought this would be the direction the offense is heading and I liked this. I hope there will be some new assistant coaches on offense, avp as the oc is not enough as change imo.

I wouldn't call him a rat but he's clearly on the side of his fired father and is out looking for another job.
its fine, its perhaps also only him wanting to get outside of the shadow of Patriots/his Dad and earn it somewhere else as well,
even Mayo was looking outside of the building and if not announced the new PatsKingdom ruler he would've been gone, I mean if we are talking about rats bringing internal info to media than the rats are Mayo, Jonathan and Robert Kraft mainly based on what we got to read the last couple of weeks

you are funny, why is Steve B a rat?
Not him necessarily but there were a bunch of rats in Foxboro leaking stuff to the media. The hit piece on Mayo about ruffling feathers or the one about swinging a bat at mtgs. Mayo's getting rid of the rats is all. Do you blame him?

Not him necessarily but there were a bunch of rats in Foxboro leaking stuff to the media. The hit piece on Mayo about ruffling feathers or the one about swinging a bat at mtgs. Mayo's getting rid of the rats is all. Do you blame him?
Why would Mayo offer him a spot if he was a rat?
I’m guessing Bill saw it as disrespect for him to stay?
Maybe the same reason Obrein left?

I would definitely pass on McAdoo. I mean it’s not like he’s be our OC so I doubt it would be a disastrous hire but I don’t get what he brings to the table other than experience.

I would definitely pass on McAdoo. I mean it’s not like he’s be our OC so I doubt it would be a disastrous hire but I don’t get what he brings to the table other than experience.
He brings familiarity w/ AvP.
HC experience to Mayo.
Connections w/ potential offensive positional coaches.
He'd just be an advisor. Served as a Consultant to Dallas in '21.

So so the coaches around the league not want to work for New England/ Kraft or is it our rookie head coach?

What's going on here.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back