PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Coaching Staff [Discuss Coaching Candidates Here!]

I have been unclear on if it is 1 or 2 for coordinators. I thought it was expanded to 2, but I can't seem to find clear reporting on it.

Here’s the memo making it two for coordinators. I believe it’s still accurate that the coordinator interviews don’t have to be in person. That speeds up the process quite a bit.

I don’t really have a problem with that if it’s coaches that come from within running the same system.
I agree that’s why I think it’s Huge that Mayo has a large coaching staff at least on the offensive side of the ball.

We can Interview Brown as Oc, and then I’d like to talk to Eric Bienemy

Here’s the memo making it two for coordinators. I believe it’s still accurate that the coordinator interviews don’t have to be in person. That speeds up the process quite a bit.

This Rooney rule DEI mandates have gotten out of control. Interviewing 2 non-whites for all these positions? Just go get the best GM, OC etc. Who cares what skin color they are.

If the coach you want is a white guy, the new NFL rules are just wasting everyone's time

Uh, who would they be exactly? If Bill's own kids are considering staying then I tend to doubt this. Also, how could Mayo "not listen" to Bill when he was essentially the co-DC with Steve Belichick? And Mayo's supposed dissension caused his unit to be the only part of the team that was actually good in 2023? Those "loyalists" must have a screw loose if so...

I don't understand the dots being connected here. Good coaches won't want to work in NE because some potentially ****ty coaches who used to work for Belichick and are loyal to him even when he was doing stupid **** are upset that Mayo allegedly didn't like that stupid ****? I am sure that external candidates will be very worried about that. "Wow, I can't believe this guy didn't blindly follow his boss like a lemming into a dumpster fire... and somehow got his boss's son to go along with that... I'm staying away from this place!"
If Mayo is having trouble attracting good coaches, I'm just telling you what some are writing about as to why those rumors may be contributing to that difficulty

Patriots OC position I imagine would be attractive. 3rd overall pick most likely going to a top QB, teams is flush with cap space to spend on offensive talent.

This Rooney rule DEI mandates have gotten out of control. Interviewing 2 non-whites for all these positions? Just go get the best GM, OC etc. Who cares what skin color they are.

If the coach you want is a white guy, the new NFL rules are just wasting everyone's time
The goal of the rule is not to force team to hire black coaches but to force the team to talk to those coaches and gave them a platform to get themselves known around the league and allow them to build a network.

The goal of the rule is not to force team to hire black coaches but to force the team to talk to those coaches and gave them a platform to get themselves known around the league and allow them to build a network.
Since it’s been a hire who you know and are familiar with I completely get it and agree. Every company should diversify and everyone should have equal access to the same job opportunities and resources.

The draft pick rewards for hiring one person over the other is where it loses me a bit: I don’t feel Racism has a place anywhere in the world and certainly not in major corps like the NFL. I think if there is enough evidence of racism those offenders should be forced out of their roles and owners should be forced to attend a training but most people just won’t change so I think they should have a panel to say whether they are fit for ownership. Same thing with owners who underpay their staff and facilities are outdated.
Being a NFL owner shouldn’t be guaranteed.

Uh, who would they be exactly? If Bill's own kids are considering staying then I tend to doubt this. Also, how could Mayo "not listen" to Bill when he was essentially the co-DC with Steve Belichick? And Mayo's supposed dissension caused his unit to be the only part of the team that was actually good in 2023? Those "loyalists" must have a screw loose if so...

I don't understand the dots being connected here. Good coaches won't want to work in NE because some potentially ****ty coaches who used to work for Belichick and are loyal to him even when he was doing stupid **** are upset that Mayo allegedly didn't like that stupid ****? I am sure that external candidates will be very worried about that. "Wow, I can't believe this guy didn't blindly follow his boss like a lemming into a dumpster fire... and somehow got his boss's son to go along with that... I'm staying away from this place!"
Utter nonsense. I think you have to question any story now that has "reportedly" in the headline. It's just filler.

Very quiet on the McDaniels front Hmmmm probably still counting his Raiders $$$$$$. :cool:

Since it’s been a hire who you know and are familiar with I completely get it and agree. Every company should diversify and everyone should have equal access to the same job opportunities and resources.

The draft pick rewards for hiring one person over the other is where it loses me a bit: I don’t feel Racism has a place anywhere in the world and certainly not in major corps like the NFL. I think if there is enough evidence of racism those offenders should be forced out of their roles and owners should be forced to attend a training but most people just won’t change so I think they should have a panel to say whether they are fit for ownership. Same thing with owners who underpay their staff and facilities are outdated.
Being a NFL owner shouldn’t be guaranteed.
I think you misunderstand - the draft compensation is given to the team who developed and lost the minority coach, not the team who hired him. Therefore it is actually beneficial, because it is incentivizing teams to hire minority coaches at lower levels and develop them enough that they would become quality candidates for higher level positions and be hired away from your organization. There is no draft pick incentive for a team to hire a minority themselves for these roles subject to Rooney Rule requirements.

That's crazy to me because outside of filling the QB position I think deciding who is deciding our offensive philosophy is the most important issue facing the team. If I had to rank the most critical factors to this team turning it around I'd say it goes like...

1) QB play moving forward
2) The offensive philosophy we implement and the guy we choose to do it, including hiring his offensive staff so we have long term success planning
3) Elite talent across the board, regardless of position because we have none or maybe just 1 or 2 guys
4) positional needs (OT, WR, starting outside CB, TE, FS, etc)

How desirable our offensive coordinator job looks is a huge concern to me. There's a huge difference between getting your 1st choice for OC vs. getting your 6th. Our 1st choice is likely to rank high on someone else's list and if they're a better situation then we'll lose out on him. IDK how it could NOT be a concern that we might not get one of our top choices at OC.
You need #2 before #1.

i think it would be wise,if it is possible, for mayo to do what it is reported a. pierce is doing with coughlin/lewis and get a former hc on his staff. if the guy is willing to be advisor/assistant hc or wants to rehab his reputation to try to be a hc again (preferably the former), he could be a valuable resource for a VERY inexperienced new hc on the aspects of being a hc which are completely outside the realm of their past experience. knowing what you don't know is about as important as actual knowledge.

i think it would be wise,if it is possible, for mayo to do what it is reported a. pierce is doing with coughlin/lewis and get a former hc on his staff. if the guy is willing to be advisor/assistant hc or wants to rehab his reputation to try to be a hc again (preferably the former), he could be a valuable resource for a VERY inexperienced new hc on the aspects of being a hc which are completely outside the realm of their past experience. knowing what you don't know is about as important as actual knowledge.
Flores would be ideal.

1000’perdent that’s why what Baltimore did getting a older offensive mind who more than likely is there for the next 5 seasons or more makes sense.
If we can assume Mayo is the Hc for at least 5 seasons we are inviting a revolving door situation at Oc.

Mayo should have a very large offensive staff to have a pipeline of talent to develop and get acclimated with our QB especially.
A large (and hopefully competent) coaching staff, is desired for the same reason that having talented depth on your roster. If a coach or coaches leave, you have "Next Man Up" to keep the coaching system in-place. You want to continually acquire and groom a competent coaching staff just like you should the roster.

A large (and hopefully competent) coaching staff, is desired for the same reason that having talented depth on your roster. If a coach or coaches leave, you have "Next Man Up" to keep the coaching system in-place. You want to continually acquire and groom a competent coaching staff just like you should the roster.
Exactly.

in retrospect, I think this was the 2d biggest failing in the last decade of BB. The successive brain drains of McDaniels etc leaving and other outside hires of a relatively smaller staff caused him to have a very small circle of trust. That resulted in that echo chamber RK and Mayo talked about and most of the management issues.

the results of the echo chamber were very likely those bad picks FA decisions and maybe even his #1 failure: misjudging TB’s longevity. (Oooops sorry shouldn’t have said that last and opened a door to hell. Please don’t walk thru ) :evil:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back