PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Coaching Staff [Discuss Coaching Candidates Here!]

Ok. I am not suggesting that someone would turn down the chance at being offensive coordinator here to be less than an offensive coordinator elsewhere. My point is just that of all the OC jobs out there, a total rebuild is going to rank lower than spots with somewhat of a foundation in place. An OC coming in can't be 100% confident in who we might draft or who we might sign. He can come in with a good plan that he aligns with Mayo on, but it's easier to go somewhere the plan at least has some key cogs in place so you aren't as dependent on the unknown.
What can I say besides you have a highly competitive sport with only 32 jobs at that level. And in any given year there are what, 8 openings?

Yeah, the apparent undesirability of our situation is something I am not going to worry about. It ranks at about 52 on a scale of the top 50 things I will worry about.

So the Patriots had an in-person interview with Nick Caley yesterday, and now have an in-person interview with Zac Robinson as well as a virtual interview with Dan Pitcher each today. So assume we will get some news soon. Though they will still need to do two minority interviews, as I am guessing based on photos and names that all of these guys fall outside of that bucket - but you never really know.

So the Patriots had an in-person interview with Nick Caley yesterday, and now have an in-person interview with Zac Robinson as well as a virtual interview with Dan Pitcher each today. So assume we will get some news soon. Though they will still need to do two minority interviews, as I am guessing based on photos and names that all of these guys fall outside of that bucket - but you never really know.
I can't tell you how pissed off I'm going to be if Caley turns out to be an offensive savant and Bill stuck him in a corner so Patricia and Judge could tag team OC.

I somehow wouldn’t be shocked.
I wouldn't either, but how few job offers he got when he finally escaped the Pats doesn't make me feel like he's quite read for the job.

I wouldn't either, but how few job offers he got when he finally escaped the Pats doesn't make me feel like he's quite read for the job.
Obviously, not every longtime position coach becomes an OC no matter how talented he is at coaching.

Well if they draft a QB at #3, an OT at 34, and sign Evans, Samuels, Barkley/Ekeler, Henry/Schultz, Onwenu, and Winfield Jr. things could look different this season.
It would be amazing if we can get Winfield Jr. that guy is a stud.

a really good scenario would be hire Robinson as OC and get Caley as pass game coordinator so if it works and Robinson leave in a year or two you have Caley to take over.

With a defensive minded head coach you need to have a succession plan at OC to maintain continuity

a really good scenario would be hire Robinson as OC and get Caley as pass game coordinator so if it works and Robinson leave in a year or two you have Caley to take over.

With a defensive minded head coach you need to have a succession plan at OC to maintain continuity
Yup, I said the same exact thing further back in this thread (or it may have been the coaching news tracker thread?). Robinson may be inclined to bring Caley over to help him in the effort of translating NE's historical offensive concepts over to the new concepts for players with experience here, and Caley only has 1 year in LA so I don't think they'd be extremely bothered over him looking to leave for a better opportunity.

If Robinson turns this ship around fast then you better believe he will start getting Head Coach interviews quickly, so it would be good to have someone behind him ready to take over. And if Robinson doesn't take any HC jobs, then Caley himself will probably still get OC interviews.

What can I say besides you have a highly competitive sport with only 32 jobs at that level. And in any given year there are what, 8 openings?

Yeah, the apparent undesirability of our situation is something I am not going to worry about. It ranks at about 52 on a scale of the top 50 things I will worry about.

That's crazy to me because outside of filling the QB position I think deciding who is deciding our offensive philosophy is the most important issue facing the team. If I had to rank the most critical factors to this team turning it around I'd say it goes like...

1) QB play moving forward
2) The offensive philosophy we implement and the guy we choose to do it, including hiring his offensive staff so we have long term success planning
3) Elite talent across the board, regardless of position because we have none or maybe just 1 or 2 guys
4) positional needs (OT, WR, starting outside CB, TE, FS, etc)

How desirable our offensive coordinator job looks is a huge concern to me. There's a huge difference between getting your 1st choice for OC vs. getting your 6th. Our 1st choice is likely to rank high on someone else's list and if they're a better situation then we'll lose out on him. IDK how it could NOT be a concern that we might not get one of our top choices at OC.

Yup, I said the same exact thing further back in this thread (or it may have been the coaching news tracker thread?). Robinson may be inclined to bring Caley over to help him in the effort of translating NE's historical offensive concepts over to the new concepts for players with experience here, and Caley only has 1 year in LA so I don't think they'd be extremely bothered over him looking to leave for a better opportunity.

If Robinson turns this ship around fast then you better believe he will start getting Head Coach interviews quickly, so it would be good to have someone behind him ready to take over. And if Robinson doesn't take any HC jobs, then Caley himself will probably still get OC interviews.
Exactly. I am afraid of getting a guy like Robinson which I like and having him leaving after one year without a back up plan

I’m excited to see how this staff shakes out.
I guess we won’t hire a DC til Belichicks situations is sorted out?

Exactly. I am afraid of getting a guy like Robinson which I like and having him leaving after one year without a back up plan
1000’perdent that’s why what Baltimore did getting a older offensive mind who more than likely is there for the next 5 seasons or more makes sense.
If we can assume Mayo is the Hc for at least 5 seasons we are inviting a revolving door situation at Oc.

Mayo should have a very large offensive staff to have a pipeline of talent to develop and get acclimated with our QB especially.

So...is it all him, or are the other two future fall guys helping?
So I'm going take back my mocking that Kadlick post as it is a misquote after reading the transcript.

This is the actual quote:
“Yeah, it’s all me at this point. I would say, not all me… also Matt Groh, Elliott [Wolf], they’re really helping out, so that’s good.

but it’s not a rumor. I found it on the interwebz.

Nobody wants the New England Patriots Offensive Coordinator job
Mayo's first press conference hurt him as well in finding staff.

There are other articles saying that Mayo was unloyal to Bill this season, not following BB's plans. Which means staff that liked BB are unlikely to stay and if they heard of any word of Mayo's actions/words, this will make good coaches who have options leery of coming

Last edited:
Mayo's first press conference hurt him as well in finding staff.

There are other articles saying that Mayo was unloyal to Bill this season, not following BB's plans. Which means staff that liked BB are unlikely to stay and if they heard of any word of Mayo's actions/words, this will make good coaches who have options leery of coming

Uh, who would they be exactly? If Bill's own kids are considering staying then I tend to doubt this. Also, how could Mayo "not listen" to Bill when he was essentially the co-DC with Steve Belichick? And Mayo's supposed dissension caused his unit to be the only part of the team that was actually good in 2023? Those "loyalists" must have a screw loose if so...

I don't understand the dots being connected here. Good coaches won't want to work in NE because some potentially ****ty coaches who used to work for Belichick and are loyal to him even when he was doing stupid **** are upset that Mayo allegedly didn't like that stupid ****? I am sure that external candidates will be very worried about that. "Wow, I can't believe this guy didn't blindly follow his boss like a lemming into a dumpster fire... and somehow got his boss's son to go along with that... I'm staying away from this place!"

That's crazy to me because outside of filling the QB position I think deciding who is deciding our offensive philosophy is the most important issue facing the team. If I had to rank the most critical factors to this team turning it around I'd say it goes like...

1) QB play moving forward
2) The offensive philosophy we implement and the guy we choose to do it, including hiring his offensive staff so we have long term success planning
3) Elite talent across the board, regardless of position because we have none or maybe just 1 or 2 guys
4) positional needs (OT, WR, starting outside CB, TE, FS, etc)

How desirable our offensive coordinator job looks is a huge concern to me. There's a huge difference between getting your 1st choice for OC vs. getting your 6th. Our 1st choice is likely to rank high on someone else's list and if they're a better situation then we'll lose out on him. IDK how it could NOT be a concern that we might not get one of our top choices at OC.
Then, by all means, continue to worry about it Huge. You have my 2 cent on the issue.

For OC only one minority interview needed and it can be Zoom.
Hoping for Robinson or Pitcher

For OC only one minority interview needed and it can be Zoom.
Hoping for Robinson or Pitcher
I have been unclear on if it is 1 or 2 for coordinators. I thought it was expanded to 2, but I can't seem to find clear reporting on it.

If we can assume Mayo is the Hc for at least 5 seasons we are inviting a revolving door situation at Oc.
I don’t really have a problem with that if it’s coaches that come from within running the same system.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back