PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayock tidbit on Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW - Here is something that Rappaport tweeted a few hours ago....

"Both RT @shagemen13 @Rapsheet Related to Watt: Have you heard that the Pats don't work with Condon, or is it just going off recent history?"

BTW - Here is something that Rappaport tweeted a few hours ago....

"Both RT @shagemen13 @Rapsheet Related to Watt: Have you heard that the Pats don't work with Condon, or is it just going off recent history?"

Great!! Someone asked a question on what I assume is twitter account. Is there more? Is there an answer that you didn't post?

Last edited:
was cunningham at the combine last year? I assume he was but can't remember seeing him.

If there is any footage on him doing the drills then we could have something for comparison when talking about drafting a OLB/DE prospect, in terms of operating in space

Unfortunately he was injured.

"Both"

is the answer to

"Related to Watt: Have you heard that the Pats don't work with Condon, or is it just going off recent history?"

So basically, Rapoport has a source saying that the Pats don't work with Condon, he's not just saying that based on the fact that they haven't.

Not disputing that he didn't live up to the hype and was severely over-drafted as it turned out, but, as Mamula himself has asked, "What was I supposed to do? NOT try to put up the best numbers I could at the Combine?"

Mamula (6044/248) averaged 5.5 sacks, 2 FF and 48 tackles per year for the four seasons he was healthy. No idea what his pass coverage was generally like, but numbers like that might have him starting at OLB for the Pats. Agreed, that production is probably only 2nd/3rd round worthy, but it's hard for me to blame Mamula for the hype.

After a noteworthy career at BC he was rated a 2nd-3rd rounder on the rise. Mamula played rush linebacker for BC when they were running the 3-4 his junior season and had 84 tackles and 11 sacks. His senior year, BC switched to the 4-3 and Mamula switched to DE and came up with 73 tackles and 13 sacks (better Jr/Sr numbers than Houston, for example).

At the Combine (16 years ago), he put up:

4.58 40yd (good for 4th this year behind Martez Wilson, Von Miller, Dontay Moch & Brian Rolle)
38.5" vert (best this year)
10'5" broad (tied for 2nd with Houston behind Miller)
26 reps (6th)
4.03 short shuttle (3rd, but better than Miller)

He also had a Wonderlic score of 49.

I have a feeling he'd easily be included among the projected 1st rounders in 2010 and that Kiper would probably have him in his top ten. And probably someone on this board would be vigorously recommending that we trade the #17, 33, 92 and 124 to move up to #5 in order to be sure to get him, which is more or less what Philly did in 1995.

OMG! What a freakin coincidence. As I'm reading your post, Demarcus Ware's 2005 combine numbers flashed across the screen. I DVR'd the combine in case your wondering:

6'4 251
40: 4.56
Vert: 38.5
Broad Jump: 10'2
Reps: 27
short shuttle: 4.07
3 cone shuttle: 6.85

Ok. You win, these numbers are eerily similar. I would have wanted to draft Mamula that year too. :eek:

"Both"

is the answer to

"Related to Watt: Have you heard that the Pats don't work with Condon, or is it just going off recent history?"

So basically, Rapoport has a source saying that the Pats don't work with Condon, he's not just saying that based on the fact that they haven't.

That is how I read it also. But I leave it to everyone else to make their own conclusions.

How did Condon win out in the end? He was FIRED by Watson and Watson signed a 6 year deal. What happened in the CBA has nothing to do with Watson. How you can say that getting fired and getting no commission from a contract is a win for an agent is beyond me.

Let's try this again. I'll leave out part of the quote, focus on what I actually wrote about "won", and enlarge it for you:

Condon's position won out in the end

Last edited:
Anyway, since we're on tangents, I don't blame Condon whatsoever for the Watson non-signing. I don't blame anyone. The Patriots were trying to force the last pick of the 1st round into signing a 6-year deal, delaying his potential big free agency contract by 1-2 years. And it's not like pick 32 has a whopping signing bonus attached to it. At the end of the day, the agent works for the client, but if Condon had his name attached to that thing, every other agent in the game would still be using it against him. Better to resign, which is what I think happened. Lose 3% of one contract in order to preserve your odds on representing top 10 clients. Sound business, and I doubt Belichick holds it against him much. It might be a tiebreaker between two otherwise equally-rated prospects, but that's probably the extent of it.

That's easily the best post I've seen on this subject.

Good LORD. :eek:

A true testament to Quinn who has been out of football a year over his poor judgement. Nice to see he prepared for the combine and didnt get to out of shape.

I think both these guys and a few others fit what we need depserately here in New England. The missing ingredient. Watch BB pass on DE and LB all together. ;)

I've been holding off on saying this, but after looking at the combine numbers and re-watching portions Watt's games from this season tonight I feel comfortable letting it out. He looks like a raw, developmental version of Seymour. He's got less strength (fixable), but has more agility and better feet (born traits). I don't think I've ever been this enamored with a prospect. He legitimately could become the best defensive player in the league.

I've been holding off on saying this, but after looking at the combine numbers and re-watching portions Watt's games from this season tonight I feel comfortable letting it out. He looks like a raw, developmental version of Seymour. He's got less strength (fixable), but has more agility and better feet (born traits). I don't think I've ever been this enamored with a prospect. He legitimately could become the best defensive player in the league.
I said the same thing about Fairley; his Combine numbers were pretty impressive too and he is already demonstrating the strength.

Aaah don't jinx the Watt pick! I'm not sure how he's making it to 17 now that he went all beast mode at the combine. :bricks:

Watt's Combine Interview. Comes off as a well spoken guy. Tenacious is how he likes to describe himself. Nice.

Last edited:
It's pretty easy to throw out a players' best season (a season in which he was the best 34 defensive lineman in football) and simply state that he has not been as good since. C'mon, I've heard better points made by a red-bull addled seven year old. Is this season a question after undergoing hip surgery? Yes. Is Ty Warren a massive upgrade over every alternative on the roster? Yes. To suggest anything different is just plain wrong.

Jay, question for you. Would you take a DL at 17/28 or would you look OL?

IMHO our problems haven't been on the DL (especially in the Playoff losses) and with Wilfork, the Warrens, Brace, Wright and Pryor/Deaderick/Moore etc its not a bad group. Pick up a Tommie Harris in FA and it looks even better

Personally I feel we have 4/5 years left of Brady and protecting him has to be the most important thing we do. Who knows where will be with Mankins, Koppen/Light are in decline, Connoly is a back-up etc

I wont be at all surprised if we dont go near the DL with the top 4 picks. Im hoping for a T, a G, an OLB and a WR

Aaah don't jinx the Watt pick! I'm not sure how he's making it to 17 now that he went all beast mode at the combine. :bricks:

Watt's Combine Interview. Comes off as a well spoken guy. Tenacious is how he likes to describe himself. Nice.

And he sure doesn't look like he's 6'5"+ and 290 lbs. Not much fat on him. Lots of room to grow.

Just a few observations directed at the OL/OLB people.

1. The Patriots run of 3 championships started with the drafting of Richard Seymour in 2001.
2. The Pats starting OL in 01
Light-Andruzzi-Woody-Neal-RobinsonRandall
In 03/04 switch Koppen for Woody and our guards and RT were again nobody special. In short the Pats have 'gotten it done' with solid OL who knew how to work together rather than early draft picks. Light and Woody are the highest choices we've used on OL outside of Mankins.
3. The Pats have NEVER had an OLB with more than 10 sacks in a season in that time period.
4. To put it briefly, it all starts up front for the Pats 3-4 defense. OLB look sexy racking up sacks but that's not where BB goes when he drafts. He finds that the big DL up front not only offer more value but are easier to project into his defense. Why else would he continually draft young DL early and often, while often going to free agency for linebackers instead?

Jay, question for you. Would you take a DL at 17/28 or would you look OL?

IMHO our problems haven't been on the DL (especially in the Playoff losses) and with Wilfork, the Warrens, Brace, Wright and Pryor/Deaderick/Moore etc its not a bad group. Pick up a Tommie Harris in FA and it looks even better

Personally I feel we have 4/5 years left of Brady and protecting him has to be the most important thing we do. Who knows where will be with Mankins, Koppen/Light are in decline, Connoly is a back-up etc

I wont be at all surprised if we dont go near the DL with the top 4 picks. Im hoping for a T, a G, an OLB and a WR

I think that there's a lot of validity in what you're saying. I agree that they need to add some youth to the OL, and should probably dedicate a high pick to that. I also think that they will add a vet or two to the mix.

Regarding the defensive line. I would trade up from 17 for a defensive end because they really don't have a good one. In NE's system your backers are only as good as your DL. This goes for pass rush, passing lane clogging, and run defense. This holds especially true for that right four technique. A player like Watt or Fairley can play there in base, contribute on the ground or in the air, and can play end, 3,2, or 1 techniques in the sub. There isn't a player with that kind of versatility on the roster right now. People get too enamored with fat short guys because they can two gap and Wilfork did well there against the run. That's true, but they suck against the pass both in the rush and in clogging the lanes. This is the first year in many in which there two guys who have the potential to be elite at a critical position with tremendous versatility.

Just a few observations directed at the OL/OLB people.

Light-Andruzzi-Woody-Neal-RobinsonRandall
In 03/04 switch Koppen for Woody and our guards and RT were again nobody special. In short the Pats have 'gotten it done' with solid OL who knew how to work together rather than early draft picks. Light and Woody are the highest choices we've used on OL outside of Mankins.

Just a correction. Neal was on the IR in 2001. Mike Compton was the starting LG and Andruzzi was starting at RG. Compton and Andruzzi were both UFAs that the Pats signed.

Light and Mankins are the highest picks that the Pats have used. Woody was picked prior to the BB administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes