PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

Now there’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. Wendell definitely outplayed his stature and skill set way back when and got the benefit of coaching from Scar.

I remember thinking multiple times this season “Buffalo’s down to their Xth tackle, our pass rush is going to DESTROY them!!!” and then that just didn’t happen. Obviously anecdotal evidence but seems like the unit was well-coached.

Side tangent here but seeing a weird trend here with interviews with ex-Patriot players as coaches - Klemm, Jefferson and now Wendell. Wonder if there is a reason for this. Bill trying to repair a culture issue? The Herald’s recent story tells a tale of inept coaches in Patricia and Judge (seemingly, mostly Judge) who couldn’t connect with the players and weren’t prepared for what they were going to face. Maybe Bill & Bill are targeting guys who were players themselves within the last two decades and can more easily connect with these players, and played HERE so can help reset what the overall culture is supposed to be. Obviously guys like Mayo and Brown also fit that mold but maybe more are needed, especially if those two guys are taking more elevated roles.

Now there’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. Wendell definitely outplayed his stature and skill set way back when and got the benefit of coaching from Scar.

I remember thinking multiple times this season “Buffalo’s down to their Xth tackle, our pass rush is going to DESTROY them!!!” and then that just didn’t happen. Obviously anecdotal evidence but seems like the unit was well-coached.
When I recall what each of Klemm and Wendell personally put into effect of the coaching Scar imparted I'd give the tip to Wendell. My foggy recollection of Klemm as a player is 'meh' whereas Wendell was one of Scar's overachieving hits. I'm guessing Wendell can better get across the master's teachings by virtue of a better understanding.

Of the mistakes Belichick had made the past season, the Wynn extension and moving him to RT screams incompetence on multiple levels.
Extending Wynn when they did made absolute sense. A competent starting LT for $11m? Cheap. Tackles are hard to find when you're not picking top 15.

Flipping him and Trent Brown was stupid on so many levels, however.
Here is a guy with little competitive fire but excellent technique. He’s not a leader—even in the unit he plays for. He is not intelligent.

He’s the anti-Matt Light.
Coming out of college, many of the top-"scouts" here loved the guy, and I can see why. But yeah, from the Achilles early on, it just hasn't worked out. A big part of that goes to last year's true missteps.
He lost millions on his next contract with whomever with his lack of preparation, both physical and mental. And then he copped an attitude by being moved from “his” position.
His attitude would be expected. They took an LT (second or third highest paid position in the NFL) and dropped him over to RT, which isn't as lucrative, although it's starting to catch up. Football is a business for the players, too. Brady wasn't happy when JimmyG was drafted, right?

Wynn got treated like **** this year. I wish he had handled it better, but it is what it is.
On top of that Belichick never replaced the opening by the Karras departure. Unless perennial practice squad denizen Ferentz can be considered up to the task. He is not.

I think Patricia focusing solely on OL can be the coach along with Yates. But this group could benefit from an established new guy.

When I recall what each of Klemm and Wendell personally put into effect of the coaching Scar imparted I'd give the tip to Wendell. My foggy recollection of Klemm as a player is 'meh' whereas Wendell was one of Scar's overachieving hits. I'm guessing Wendell can better get across the master's teachings by virtue of a better understanding.
I’m also a little more interested in Wendell just based on the slightly weird situation in Pittsburgh with Klemm, but at the same time, at least Klemm has consistently been the OL coach whereas Wendell is the assistant in Buffalo. Though obviously sometimes the assistant is practically the main dude, like Billy Yates was here in ‘22.

Plus it might screw Buffalo a little. Win!

Side tangent here but seeing a weird trend here with interviews with ex-Patriot players as coaches - Klemm, Jefferson and now Wendell. Wonder if there is a reason for this. Bill trying to repair a culture issue? The Herald’s recent story tells a tale of inept coaches in Patricia and Judge (seemingly, mostly Judge) who couldn’t connect with the players and weren’t prepared for what they were going to face. Maybe Bill & Bill are targeting guys who were players themselves within the last two decades and can more easily connect with these players, and played HERE so can help reset what the overall culture is supposed to be. Obviously guys like Mayo and Brown also fit that mold but maybe more are needed, especially if those two guys are taking more elevated roles.
Agreed. Maybe to also help offset the potential departures of both Slater & McCourty culture-wise. (Albeit, not in the locker room.)

I think we are beating the dead horse, bud. Bill 100% was wrong. I think he thought that FM/JJ could handle this with his supervision. I don't think it was Bill's masterplan, it was his master screw up. I don't think in a million years he thought these guys would foul this thing up as bad as they did.

I'm part of the guys that used to sit at the Altar of Belichick, as you say. An aside: I seem to remember Parcells using that term: sit at the altar an learn. To your point, what he did in the past is not the point, it's what he is doing now. 100% deserves to be criticized.

Re: Bedard. I find him to be a little smug. Comes off as the smartest guy in the room on his podcast, but he's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is. I think he was 0-4 on Wildcard weekend picks. I was listening to it while plowing snow this week, and remember thinking that he was way wrong, and his podcast didn't age well. (i listened after the games) I don't know the exact record, but I do know I laughed at him while he spouted off how XYZ was going to happen.
I agree with your first paragraph. But I will still stick with Bill. The last three years haven't been great but he has kept the team competitive and has been a QB away from a good team each year.

Wendell was a couple of notches better than Thanksdad, but that's about it... He should've been replaced while he was here too.

No need to wonder...

Extending Wynn when they did made absolute sense. A competent starting LT for $11m? Cheap. Tackles are hard to find when you're not picking top 15.

Flipping him and Trent Brown was stupid on so many levels, however.
Agree, in both cases. They had no choice but to extend him.

Coming out of college, many of the top-"scouts" here loved the guy, and I can see why.
Some of those scouts also believed that he would make a better Left Guard then LT.

But yeah, from the Achilles early on, it just hasn't worked out. A big part of that goes to last year's true missteps.
An Achilles tear he suffered in pre-season while taking snaps at... Right Tackle...

His attitude would be expected. They took an LT (second or third highest paid position in the NFL) and dropped him over to RT, which isn't as lucrative, although it's starting to catch up. Football is a business for the players, too. Brady wasn't happy when JimmyG was drafted, right?
No idea... Bill's drafted QBs every couple or so years since Brady's arrival; so he should've been used to it.

Wynn got treated like **** this year. I wish he had handled it better, but it is what it is.
I don't know if I'd put it quite like that... He certainly treated his position like sh!t.

Of the mistakes Belichick had made the past season, the Wynn extension and moving him to RT screams incompetence on multiple levels.

Here is a guy with little competitive fire but excellent technique. He’s not a leader—even in the unit he plays for. He is not intelligent.

He’s the anti-Matt Light.

He lost millions on his next contract with whomever with his lack of preparation, both physical and mental. And then he copped an attitude by being moved from “his” position.

On top of that Belichick never replaced the opening by the Karras departure. Unless perennial practice squad denizen Ferentz can be considered up to the task. He is not.

I think Patricia focusing solely on OL can be the coach along with Yates. But this group could benefit from an established new guy.
How was the Wynn 5th year a bad move? Seriously. I agree that moving Wynn to RT was dumb. That was a Patricia move.

It's amazing how you make s**t up about players and pretend you know wtf you are talking about. Little competitive fire? Not intelligent?

Actually BB DID replace the Karras opening. Chasen Hines and Kody Russey. Hines was injured and missed time then was injured again. Russey ended up on the Pro-Roster but was still behind Ferentz for whatever reason.

Some interesting names here that BOB worked with that could be coming onto the staff.

What has Lawing accomplished with TEs?

What has Caley?
Caley was instrumental in Jakob Johnson's development. Caley also helped to make Ryan Izzo serviceable. The last two years have been more about the OC not using TEs effectively than a testament against Caley.

I thought that with Belichick blocking Caley from making a lateral move last year meant they had plans for Caley (move to OC), clearly BB just didn't want to have to find another coach. However, Caley continues to be mentioned as a potential OC, so there must be people he's impressing and things we're not seeing.

Caley was instrumental in Jakob Johnson's development. Caley also helped to make Ryan Izzo serviceable.
Two guys not on the team. One guy's position was eliminated and I disagree about the other. Izzo can't even make the Panthers squad.

Two guys not on the team. One guy's position was eliminated and I disagree about the other. Izzo can't even make the Panthers squad.
Does it matter if the two aren't on the team anymore?
Johnson went from Raw talent to being a more than serviceable FB for this team.
So, Izzo can't make the Panthers. He was serviceable for the 2 years with the Pats.
Serviceable = Can be improved upon It doesn't equal average or good or excellent.

Very strange. I have been thinking about the fact that Bill O'Brien most likely also wanted a chance to be the next guy after Bill here if Bill chooses to retire in the near future and didn't want to be automatically blocked from that before he even started by Mayo. I wonder how things are balancing out.

Perhaps it's less complicated than we all assume. Mayo didn't really want to leave the area or the team, he just wanted more opportunity to grow his knowledge (and a lot more money). Kraft gives him a hefty salary increase and promises him more Belichick time but perhaps it's not quite the "heir apparent" situation we've all discussed. That's not to say that he WON'T succeed Bill, but at least it lets O'Brien also try his hand at candidacy too.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back