PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo Likely Will Indeed Move On This Offseason

I wish him luck but I question how much he will be missed. Our defense hasn't played to its potential since Flores imo. The defense under Flores just looked right.

I hope we bring in someone that excels at dealing with mobile qbs.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
So we are going to lose arguably the best assistant coach on the roster because Belichick couldn't name him DC over his son

Thing is, we don't really know how good Mayo is at his job. This notion that fans have any idea who's actually a quality assistant coach and who is not, confuses me. Seems like a really challenging evaluation to make without working with the people we are talking about. (Unless we're talking about a mainstay who has been around for a long time and it is clear they are doing their job well; guys like Scar, Fears, McDaniels, Flores).

Mayo definitely comes across as a good communicator and the players speak highly of him, which are only positives. Does that mean he's doing his job at a high level? Does that mean he could go elsewhere (in a similar role or in a head coaching role) and succeed? Does that mean someone else could not do Mayo's job at the level he is? We don't know.

I will say this: Mayo has been the LBs coach recently and the ILB play has been poor under him. They certainly lack talent at the position so it could be unfair to blame Mayo for much of the their struggles. That said, it has most certainly not been a position of strength where we see young guys coming into their own and developing (again, the lack of talent/personnel investment makes it a difficult evaluation).

I wish him luck but I question how much he will be missed. Our defense hasn't played to its potential since Flores imo. The defense under Flores just looked right.

I hope we bring in someone that excels at dealing with mobile qbs.
Since Flo left

Points Allowed:
1st
7th
2nd
5th

I'd argue it's the talent which dictates how good a D can be than the coaches.

As long as BB runs the D and BB Jr does what hes told it'll be fine.

I will say this: Mayo has been the LBs coach recently and the ILB play has been poor under him. They certainly lack talent at the position so it could be unfair to blame Mayo for much of the their struggles. That said, it has most certainly not been a position of strength where we see young guys coming into their own and developing (again, the lack of talent/personnel investment makes it a difficult evaluation).
Mayo: we need faster players.
Bill: here's Tavai, make it work.

The smart move would be to give Mayo the title of DC next season as he could easily get that role on the open market.

Keeping Mayo gives the D momentum which has been a bright spot this season. Bill's son can continue to learn and gain more experience and he could become the DC in the near term.

If Mayo shines as a DC or if the D is very good again next season then Mayo might get hired as a HC.

Patriots get a free draft pick when Mayo is made HC of another team.

What will actually happen: Mayo will leave and potentially take a coach or two with him further weakening Patriots coaching ranks.

The smart move would be to give Mayo the title of DC next season as he could easily get that role on the open market.

Keeping Mayo gives the D momentum which has been a bright spot this season. Bill's son can continue to learn and gain more experience and he could become the DC in the near term.

If Mayo shines as a DC or if the D is very good again next season then Mayo might get hired as a HC.

Patriots get a free draft pick when Mayo is made HC of another team.

What will actually happen: Mayo will leave and potentially take a coach or two with him further weakening Patriots coaching ranks.
It seems like a big stretch to say that the coach who has been calling defensive plays for four years (three of them being extremely successful) needs to take a step back and get more experience. I understand fans’ desires to want the best for Mayo, but some are far too eager to minimize Steve’s experience and accomplishments to achieve that.

I hope for his sake he leaves and gets a DC gig at the least. Caley is rumored to leave as well.

He’ll make his son DC and the defense will be the dysfunctional mess next season.

Bill has a plan he'll hire some of his friends kids

BB must be supportive, he has been talking Mayo up recently. It stinks to lose him, happy to see him get a shot with the teams blessing. This would create a safe landing spot for the current OC.

BB must be supportive, he has been talking Mayo up recently. It stinks to lose him, happy to see him get a shot with the teams blessing. This would create a safe landing spot for the current OC.

Lord help us. Just fire him, please.

There is a world where Kraft makes the right choice and keeps Brady instead of Belichick and our team is:

QB: Tom Brady (Backup: Stidham)
HC: Josh McDaniels
OC: Not Matt Patricia
DC: Jerod Mayo

They would have been 3/3 for playoff berths and a legitimate contender for the #1 seed (and in turn, the Super Bowl) each year.

Alas...

It seems like a big stretch to say that the coach who has been calling defensive plays for four years (three of them being extremely successful) needs to take a step back and get more experience. I understand fans’ desires to want the best for Mayo, but some are far too eager to minimize Steve’s experience and accomplishments to achieve that.
That's the problem with being the coach's son. Nobody really knows how good he is which is also unfair to him.

The same for Mayo - he will never get the full credit for what he does under this arrangement.

BB should just name one DC and the other walks. Clear and clean.

Some of you guys are just silly, if you were BB's son and grew up watching him break film down since you were 5 years old, loved football and spent as much time with your dad as you could. Then when older you worked for the team starting off as getting coffee for the staff and every little job on the way to becoming a member of the staff. Would you be insulted if everyone thought you got the job on nepotism or was it because of your hard work, love of football and working with your father?

There is a world where Kraft makes the right choice and keeps Brady instead of Belichick and our team is:

QB: Tom Brady (Backup: Stidham)
HC: Josh McDaniels
OC: Not Matt Patricia
DC: Jerod Mayo

They would have been 3/3 for playoff berths and a legitimate contender for the #1 seed (and in turn, the Super Bowl) each year.

Alas...
McDaniels didn’t even pick Mayo to be his DC last offseason. He wouldn’t have even remotely been a candidate in 2019 after a single year of coaching.

Some of you guys are just silly, if you were BB's son and grew up watching him break film down since you were 5 years old, loved football and spent as much time with your dad as you could. Then when older you worked for the team starting off as getting coffee for the staff and every little job on the way to becoming a member of the staff. Would you be insulted if everyone thought you got the job on nepotism or was it because of your hard work, love of football and working with your father?
Exactly. BB benefitted from nepotism too. Wasn’t really any good, just rode his dad‘s coattails.

His work as GM has remained sub-par for years. Sorry, adoring Fans of Bill, it just has. I wish we could fire Bill the GM - there is every reason to do so - but he shares a hoodie with Bill the Coach, so I guess that's that. I hope the Krafts at least continue to pressure him to be less unilateral about that aspect of his work.
The real conflict between Bill and the Krafts will be exposed if and when Jerod Mayo leaves.

It is already the case that Bill the GM no longer has total discretion as far as the draft goes.

A succession of horrible drafts a number of years ago convinced ownership that changes needed to be made. The result has been a big improvement.

The same might happen when a player like Mayo, who should be the DC, leaves. That will not sit well.

A former Patriot with great talent, it turns out, for coaching as well.

Steve Belichick needs to leave the organization. The look of nepotism is not a good one.

I want what’s best for the team. That is Jerod Mayo as DC.

Then we can hire whomever as OC for failing Matt and not be coerced into the Rooney Rule to hire from a limited pool.

will say this: Mayo has been the LBs coach recently and the ILB play has been poor under him. They certainly lack talent at the position so it could be unfair to blame Mayo for much of the their struggles.
This is JaWrong Bentley’s best year and Tavai hasn’t stunk up the joint like he did in Detroit.

Exactly. BB benefitted from nepotism too. Wasn’t really any good, just rode his dad‘s coattails.
Fair or not Steve B will not be recognized as a good coach until he has success on another team. Kyle Shanahan is a good example.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back