PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Patricia vs Josh McDaniels -- who is more important?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who is more important to the team?

• Matt Patricia

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Josh McDaniels

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Defiant Goose

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
With news that one or both coordinators could be gone next season, who do you think is more important to the team's success? IMO I'd place Matt Patricia above McDaniels with what they've been able to do on defense this year especially with guys like McLellin (sp?) and Van Noy. The offense is always going to be fine as long as Brady is at QB, but I think McDaniels has become much better over time with play calling, as evidenced by Blount's season and not relying so much on Brady to win games for us. In a perfect world I'd like to keep both but gun to my head give me Matt Patricia and let O'Shea or whoever take over OC duties.

Interesting question, but we'd muddle through just fine with Belichick in charge of the defense once again.

I'd pick JMcD as the bigger loss.

McDaniels. The real genius behind these defenses is Belichick. Patricia is far more expendable.

Would it make sense to bring Chip Kelly should Josh leave the job ? Or would he ruin the Pats offensive system trying to "Oregon" it ?

Chip would get too far away from a balanced offense I think. One thing I love about McDaniels is how he's matured over the past 10 years as a coach, I don't think Chip is at that level of maturity quite yet but I suppose coming in under BB would be a great way to grow up.

For me, the real question is who do we have on our coaching talent bench that would step up into either McDaniels or Patricia's role if they were to leave? That would give us a better indication of where we would be hurt most. It's not just playcalling duties we would lose. We would be losing leadership not only with the players but for the other coaches as well. Who is ready to step up and take on that role? I'm not going to pretend like I even have the slightest clue but it is a conversation I'd love to read.

It is very close but I'd say Josh. I was impressed with the O during the first three weeks and not his fault he had a rookie with one hand playing in week 4 and even then penalties and dropped passes took pts off the board.

Josh, no question about it. Patricia is decent but not quite on par with McDaniels. I think that McDaniels has certainly shown that he is capable of running a solid offense without Brady (2008 Matt Cassel, flashes of 2016 w/Garropolo, even squeezing out a win with Brissett).

It's tough because BB can train the next Patricia while being more heavily involved day to day but it's hard to say losing an OC would affect a Brady led offense much.

I guess one will stay, and be our future HC. I hope Caserio stays

I hope they keep Josh

Would it make sense to bring Chip Kelly should Josh leave the job ? Or would he ruin the Pats offensive system trying to "Oregon" it ?

Love Chip but there is already a system here TB12 is very comfortable with

Everyone can leave but BB, Scar and Moses Cabrera. What a year those guys have had.

There's a report (Glazer, I think) that says B. O'Brien gets fired (over Osweiller) if they exit quick. I think it's not likely but who knows ...........

I would say McD. Brady loves him. A happy QB is a productive QB. On the other hand, Brady hated BOB.

McDaniels. The real genius behind these defenses is Belichick. Patricia is far more expendable.

I would agree on McDaniels, but I wouldn't call Patricia "expendable." Belichick didn't win his 4th ring as HC until after patricia became DC. The D really struggled from 2005-2013. Our D hasn't been this good in a while, and I would like to think Patricia is a big reason for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft