PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney: Let's See What We Agree On

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just dont get the excuses people make for Lo Mo. This kid has talent. A lot of talent.

BUT

What has Lomo done since week thirteen last year? Maroney was ineffective in the playoffs last year. Maroney has missed a good chunk of time this year due to injury. Yea he is only 22 , but he has already had major surgery. When LoMo is healthy he often get yanked out of games either because he is getting benched, or getting banged up. Its chronic at this point.

WHy would Beli let all of his starters play when he does not need them , yet hold out LoMo? Why was Lomo inefective last night? One td over ten games? When is the last time he had a big night? Over a year ago? Why hasent Maroney gotten into the secondary and took one to the house as part of the best offensive team in NFL history.

I dont think LoMo is a bust. I def dont think he is a full time feature back who can stay healthy if he has to.

Someone tell me what Lomo has done since last years cinci game?

Last edited:
Right, except that we could draft a RB in the third round if health is your issue. We don't need the best back in the world to be sucessful. Evans and Eckel as our only healthy backs is, of course, not a good thing. But neither would having an injured Adrian Peterson. High draft position does not mean the back is going to stay healthy. And since a mid round runner could be sucessful with our line, why use the #2 pick in the draft on a RB?

Well even if you are not sold that McFadden should be our guy, at least it seems you are willing to consider the need to draft a RB in the 2008 draft. And with the health issues of Maroney, I think that is a smarter outlook than just ignoring the obvious need. There will likely be a number of good RBs to consider in the 2008 draft, but the picture will probably be fairly murky until after the combine. For now we'll just have to hope that our current group of RBs can hold it together for 2007.

For those of you pooh-poohing the RB situation by saying we don't need a running game to win, let's try remember that it was a huge upgrade going from Antowain Smith to Dillon in his prime in 2004. Well I'm not saying Maroney is worse than Antowain, but I think Antowain was healthier so it kind of balances out.

Last edited:
Maroney will achieve here even more than C. Martin did. End of story.

What?

Curtis Martin is a Hall of Fame back and was one of the most durable and effective backs of his era!

Don't even mention Maroney and CuMar in the same breath!

Martin rushed for 1500 yards his rookie season in New England and added 14 TDs!

In his sophomore season, he rushed for 1150 and had 14 more TDs, not to mention a HUGE game vs. Pittsburgh in the divisional round of the playoffs.

His third season - the one he "fell off" a little - he rushed for 1160 yards but "only" scored 4 TDs.

Martin had 10 straight 1000 yard rushing seasons as a pro, starting with that rookie campaign in Foxboro and those 7 unbearable years when we had to watch him play in Puke Green.

Maroney gave us 750 last seaosn with 6 TDs and is on pace to give 1.6 TDs and 700 yards this season.

Maroney is not even on Martin's PLANET as a running back!

Last edited:
What?

Curtis Martin is a Hall of Fame back and was one of the most durable and effective backs of his era!

Don't even mention Maroney and CuMar in the same breath!

Martin rushed for 1500 yards his rookie season in New England and added 14 TDs!

In his sophomore season, he rushed for 1150 and had 14 more TDs, not to mention a HUGE game vs. Pittsburgh in the divisional round of the playoffs.

His third season - the one he "fell off" a little - he rushed for 1160 yards but "only" scored 4 TDs.

Martin had 10 straight 1000 yard rushing seasons as a pro, starting with that rookie campaign in Foxboro and those 7 unbearable years when we had to watch him play in Puke Green.

Maroney gave us 750 last seaosn with 6 TDs and is on pace to give 1.6 TDs and 700 yards this season.

Maroney is not even on Martin's PLANET as a running back!

Now you see the type of yahooism I deal with when speaking of maroney. maroney and c martin. Baaahahahahah

Yes if you are of the belief that having Evans and Eckel as the only healthy backs on the roster is a GOOD thing, your rationale is certainly irrefutable :rolleyes:. But for those of us who realized that Gaffney and Caldwell as starting options was a BAD thing in 2006, this is exactly the kind of situation we DON'T want to have in 2008.

Maroney seems to get injured on a regular basis.

One more time with feeling: MARONEY WASN'T INJURED. Please read the paper.

One more time with feeling: MARONEY WASN'T INJURED. Please read the paper.

You do know he left the game last night with a foot INJURY, right? (I know he denied it but since when have the Pats been forthcoming with injury information?)

Look for a stud in the draft.

We are going to have a very high pick in San Fran's #1.

Let's start picturing what a Matt Forte or a Darren McFadden (if he comes out as a junior, as expected) might look like in a Pats uniform. And I would hang onto Maroney, too, and develop him into a third down, goal line back, similar to how we use Faulk, who can't have many laps left.

This is, as are all the other likeminded arguments on this topic, ASININE. The Patriots have HUUUUUUGE gaping needs at LB and CB next year, but yeah, let's by all means WASTE an enormously fortuitous opportunity to address those issues - either with that pick or with what that pick would bring in trade - to go fill a position where we already have a 22-year old, dynamic runner who is CLEARLY going to be fresh, and a veteran who seemed entirely capable of pounding the rock until his injury against Dallas.

I am so glad you guys aren't running this team. Give me a break. Have SOME measure of vision.

You do know he left the game last night with a foot INJURY, right? (I know he denied it but since when have the Pats been forthcoming with injury information?)

He was probable to return, and I don't doubt for a second that your little argument can be turned around to say, Why should we believe what BB was saying about Maroney's "injury" when the player himself apparently had NO IDEA what people were talking about after the game?

Last edited:
This is, as are all the other likeminded arguments on this topic, ASININE. The Patriots have HUUUUUUGE gaping needs at LB and CB next year, but yeah, let's by all means WASTE an enormously fortuitous opportunity to address those issues - either with that pick or with what that pick would bring in trade - to go fill a position where we already have a 22-year old, dynamic runner who is CLEARLY going to be fresh, and a veteran who seemed entirely capable of pounding the rock until his injury against Dallas.

I am so glad you guys aren't running this team. Give me a break. Have SOME measure of vision.

Patsox I agree with you here. It would be insane to draft a rb with a top five pick. We trade that pick for multiple picks. Pick up a back in the third round with Oaklands pick. Maybe our second depending on what we get trading down.

The kid from Oregon would be a good pick I think. Trade down slighty get a lb or bd. Then fill out the secondary. Get picks for next year. The kid from Ohio state could be had mid first round correct?

Last edited:
Patsox I agree with you here. It would be insane to draft a rb with a top five pick. We trade that pick for multiple picks. Pick up a back in the third round with Oaklands pick. Maybe our second depending on what we get trading down.

The kid from Oregon would be a good pick I think.

HOLY CRRRRRAP. In a thread about Maroney, Danny and I see eye-to-eye. Given the context, for us to agree on ANYTHING RB-related is quite a statement.

Detente!

HOLY CRRRRRAP. In a thread about Maroney, Danny and I see eye-to-eye. Given the context, for us to agree on ANYTHING RB-related is quite a statement.

Detente!

I agree with you. You know how I feel about Maroney. But it would be a huge mistake to take a back top five. We could turn the number two pick into a stud lb and a slew of picks this year and next. Get that seconday young and up to snuff.

The secondary is in need. Rb can be had in the second round. Maybe third. I want Maroney here. I just want a true pounder ala Dillon to compliment Morris and LoMo.

Maroney is talented. I jus think he has durability issues.

Last edited:
Yes if you are of the belief that having Evans and Eckel as the only healthy backs on the roster is a GOOD thing, your rationale is certainly irrefutable :rolleyes:. But for those of us who realized that Gaffney and Caldwell as starting options was a BAD thing in 2006, this is exactly the kind of situation we DON'T want to have in 2008.

Maroney seems to get injured on a regular basis, Faulk is long in the tooth, Morris is out for the year on IR. There is no SURE thing about the Patriots RB corps except for the reality that in fact they are paper thin.

I've heard unbacked and blindly optimistic assertions that Maroney will be 100% in 2008, that Morris will be 100% in 2008, and that Faulk will be back as usual. But of course in reality that is no sure thing. The Patriots have the draft picks to spend in 2008 and they have a weakness at the RB position. They can address that issue squarely in 2008, whether it be with Darren McFadden (a bonafide stud) or another talented RB prospect later in the 1st day.

Duuuude. Rellaaaaxxx. We're just talking here. :cool:
You've convinced yourself that Darren McFadden is the answer. You've failed to convince others, because a stud running back won't be able to stop the other team from scoring, whereas a solid or even pretty good running back will help Tom Brady keep the juggernaut going.

Maroney needs work, no doubt. He hesitates and seems out of synch with the line (compare early season performances with Sammy Morris vs Jets and Chargers: it's one cut and go that works with this scheme). Maroney also needs to work on picking up the blitz. Would Darren McFadden be better at that? How do we know? How complicated is Arkansas' offense? Does he run too high for the pros?

I think the Pats will trade down for more talented picks in areas of need. Paul Perillo on PFW's podcast made a salient point about multiple first-round picks in the same position: Wilfork, Seymour and Warren can all take the field at the same time, while Maroney and McFadden can't.

Maybe we should stop looking at the shiny new RB and try to see the big picture for team needs, lest we follow the Saints and Reggie Bush (which I saw as a great pick at the time). :bricks:

I haven't redone the math, but prior to Sunday, he was averaging 4.7 yds. a carry with a long of 19, so there's no padding.

Discussions are nice, but I don't see how that = what's wrong???!!!

I pretty much totally agree with this. Maroney, in fact, might be injury prone forever and never develop the way we might hope. But the fact is, it would be way too early to make that judgement, and there will be far more important needs in the draft. The Pats will always look for complementary backs to bring in, and my understanding is that Morris' injury, once healed, shouldn't really affect his game. Draft a RB sometime on day 2? Why not, it's a lot of guesswork there anyway. Day one? No way. Maroney is the Pats back for now--*****ing about him all the time is a waste of time.

I agree with you. You know how I feel about Maroney. But it would be a huge mistake to take a back top five. We could turn the number two pick into a stud lb and a slew of picks this year and next. Get that seconday young and up to snuff.

The secondary is in need. Rb can be had in the second round. Maybe third. I want Maroney here. I just want a true pounder ala Dillon to compliment Morris and LoMo.

Maroney is talented. I jus think he has durability issues.

When did you start to become reasonable?

Actually, I don't think any of us knows whether Maroney had an injury or not. Personally, I'm rather skeptical of the report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back