PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mapu LB or Safety?

Clieb

Rookie
Reaction score
Any X's and O's fans out there can help explain... I hear a lot of media concerned about whether Mapu is a sideline-to-sideline LB or a box safety in the Pats system... can anyone help explain why it matters? what are the roles of a sideline-to-sideline LB? do they cover different players than a safety who plays closer to the line? do mobile linebackers play the same downs... cover the same players as box safeties? appreciate any clarification on this... seems like it's been a big deal and I'm scratching my head as to why.

Also love to get any takes on the 3rd rd pick... sounded like he popped in OTAs and haven't heard much of his name called in training camp, but excited about the athleticism and potential covering mobile QBs

Any X's and O's fans out there can help explain... I hear a lot of media concerned about whether Mapu is a sideline-to-sideline LB or a box safety in the Pats system... can anyone help explain why it matters? what are the roles of a sideline-to-sideline LB? do they cover different players than a safety who plays closer to the line? do mobile linebackers play the same downs... cover the same players as box safeties? appreciate any clarification on this... seems like it's been a big deal and I'm scratching my head as to why.

Also love to get any takes on the 3rd rd pick... sounded like he popped in OTAs and haven't heard much of his name called in training camp, but excited about the athleticism and potential covering mobile QBs

He hasn't been full-go because of injury (recovering from torn pec), so there is not much from the preseason to go on. Apparently they're impressed by his speed and athleticism. At 229 he's a bit on the light side for an NFL linebacker, but who knows? I'd guess they will rotate him in situationally.

He was compared to Fred Warner coming out of the draft who is the same size. Since the Pats already have a ton of S’s, it would be tragic if they try to play him there. When would he play?

Their biggest weakness on D is in the middle and outside CB. Bedard had said when the Pats D played the top offenses in the NFL, Bentley and Tavai stood out the most in a bad way. They are just too slow reacting and making plays.

As Evan Lazar said: Mapu is a LB!

Last edited:
Mapu is a very smart player and diagnoses plays well. At one preseason game, Marte, as a rookie, had a clipboard on the sideline with the coaches.

Being able to understand how to play deep safety and linebacker is uncommon. Marte picked it up in the first training camp.

Mapu=Poo Poo was my first reaction when we drafted him, but he's a hell of a tackler. A little reminiscent of the water boy. I hope they play him at LB.

I'd like to see him have roles from both positions, honestly. I want him in the middle of the field, and not have the QB know which direction he's going to move on any given play. One play he's blitzing, one play he's covering a back man to man, one play he's going side to side in a shallow zone, and on yet another he's dropping in a deep middle zone. Keep the offense guessing. Assuming his good summer translates to a good fall, of course.

In this defense, safeties do everything that LBs do and then also play deep zone coverage on top of that. It makes sense that Mapu would practice with the safeties for the more well-rounded skill set, even if there’s a more direct path to playing time at LB right now.

The distinction between LB and safety in todays NFL and particularly this defense is pretty blurred, most our the Pats safeties play hybrid linebacker, I suspect mapu will fall into the same category and Dugger, Phillips and peppers. One or two of those guys may be gone next year so he’s a valuable piece for the future.

agree not sure it matters what we call him, but for sure he would be an in the box player. I do not imagine seeing him at the back end of the field in single high, or on the back side in Tampa 2.
perfect player to spy on a QB like Allen or Tua.
along with Dugger and Peppers, should give the team plenty of speed in the middle of the field.

He was compared to Fred Warner coming out of the draft who is the same size. Since the Pats already have a ton of S’s, it would be tragic if they try to play him there. When would he play?

Their biggest weakness on D is in the middle and outside CB. Bedard had said when the Pats D played the top offenses in the NFL, Bentley and Tavai stood out the most in a bad way. They are just too slow reacting and making plays.

As Evan Lazar said: Mapu is a LB!
Mapu reminds of a Bruschi with a nose for the ball.

agree not sure it matters what we call him, but for sure he would be an in the box player. I do not imagine seeing him at the back end of the field in single high, or on the back side in Tampa 2.
perfect player to spy on a QB like Allen or Tua.
along with Dugger and Peppers, should give the team plenty of speed in the middle of the field.
I think Mapu has the athleticism to do both, honestly. Ditto for Dugger, and I’ll admit I find myself surprised they haven’t given Dugger more opportunity to play deep MoF/half and let him play with eyes on the ball; he had a tremendous break on a ball during a preseason game a couple seasons ago, against Philly, playing from MoF single-high in the red area. Maybe they’ve tried it during practice and don’t like what they see.

We’ll see where Mapu ends up, this season and beyond.

Positions mean less and less as D schemes become complexe and roles change. Speed > thumper at this point in the league so I see Mapu as a LB who will cover. The Ted Johnson types are being rendered obsolete. Maybe in the future, they will return.

It isn't a big deal and I have no idea why it should be. I'd suggest stop trying to slot him into a traditional position like the media people are.

If you watch what Rodney and Patrick did here they were all over the defense. Run support in the box. Run support on the outside. Pass support in the nickel, dime and even as a 7th "DB" who covered receiving TEs who lined up off the OT. They blitzed as well. Zone. Man. You name it.

It all depends how extensible they think Mapu can be and that will be based on his understanding of the scheme, ability to recognize of the offensive play call/formation and the matchup vs the particular opponent.

Last edited:
I think Mapu has the athleticism to do both, honestly. Ditto for Dugger, and I’ll admit I find myself surprised they haven’t given Dugger more opportunity to play deep MoF/half and let him play with eyes on the ball; he had a tremendous break on a ball during a preseason game a couple seasons ago, against Philly, playing from MoF single-high in the red area. Maybe they’ve tried it during practice and don’t like what they see.

We’ll see where Mapu ends up, this season and beyond.
I agree with half of your statement
I too like Dugger in a free safety role and thought that was his forte when drafted.
not sure Mapu has the make up speed or instincts to play back there in single high

It isn't a big deal and I have no idea why it should be. I'd suggest stopping trying to slot him into a traditional position like the media people are trying to do.

If you watch what Rodney and Patrick did here they were all over the defense. Run support in the box. Run support on the outside. Pass support in the nickel, dime and even as a 7th "DB" who covered receiving TEs who lined up off the OT. They blitzed as well. Zone. Man. You name it.

It all depends how extensible they think Mapu can be and that will be based on his understanding of the scheme, ability to recognize of the offensive play call/formation and the matchup vs the particular opponent.
I mean, when Rodney arrived, he was already a veteran player that saw it all, and was on his way to (what I believe) will be a HOF career.
Chung failed here, and left. he did come back and had success in a role that was jack of all trades. but he was well into his career
to ask that of a rookie is a steep ask imo

I mean, when Rodney arrived, he was already a veteran player that saw it all, and was on his way to (what I believe) will be a HOF career.
Chung failed here, and left. he did come back and had success in a role that was jack of all trades. but he was well into his career
to ask that of a rookie is a steep ask imo
Chung failed here the first time because they used him wrong as did Philly. I put equal failure on the coaching staff/ Fat Matt

I go back to my 3rd paragraph. Some players learn things quickly. Some need seasoning.

We have no idea how Mapu will pan out but he seems to have the physical tools to play all over the defense except on the line and boundary CB

More and more when it comes to the middle of the field on defense, there's so much interchange in skills and assignments that at this point, labelling players almost seems pointless. Look at Dugger, who could probably put his hand in the dirt as an edge defender such is his physical capability, for example. These kinds of defenders have been trickling into the game more and more over the last decade or so (especially in the secondary) due to the rise of hybrid TE / WR's and big slots.

I just want Mapu to be a great player, wherever he plays.

They talk about TE being the Queen chess piece on offense, because when they're good, like Gronk, the offense can take what the defense is showing and switch to a run or a throw.

I think Mapu is the equivalent Queen chess piece on defense where he's physical enough to be able to stop a runner as a LB but can also move fast enough to work in coverage on a pass.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back