PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Many Want A Defensive Front Six Player At 21: Will Anyone There Be Worth the Pick

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Most would like a defensive front six player early.

Will one even be available at 21. Yes, Belichick would jump at Davis or Lloyd. Isn't it more likely that none left will be even close to being worth the pick.

Are there any worth the pick if we trade down to the bottom of the first?

Last edited:
I believe the following defensive players will be gone
hutch
thibodeaux
karlaftis
johnson
walker
stingley
gardner
booth
hamilton
lloyd and or dean
one of wyatt or davis could be gone easily either

The new $$$ run for WRs might push more of them up the board. You could have several go ahead of the Pats, along with a couple of QBs.

Seems like many teams have come to believe that Defense is so 2010’s.

If top WRs are now 20-25/per in FA, they, like QBs, become much ore valuable in the draft.

In short, the NFL has lost its collective mind.

I think when you look at any one type of position grouping, and fixate on it, you're going to find it pretty likely that the best players will be gone by 21. But if you do that for EVERY position, something will eventually have to give. If they go into the draft (and I don't think they will) thinking, "We have to take a WR at 21" or "We have to get an edge guy at 21", they're setting themselves up for failure. But chances are SOMEONE you think is definitely gone by 21, at some position, will actually be there. It's just a matter of if the Patriots value that guy the same way we do.

But they're in a position where there are a lot of positions on the team that could use upgrades (even if they're not immediate needs). So I believe someone worth it at WR, DB, LB, DL, or EDGE is going to be at 21. Again, it just comes down to if they think there's not much difference between who they get at 21 and say 27 or 28, meaning they can add later and still get one of "their guys".

The new $$$ run for WRs might push more of them up the board. You could have several go ahead of the Pats, along with a couple of QBs.

Seems like many teams have come to believe that Defense is so 2010’s.

If top WRs are now 20-25/per in FA, they, like QBs, become much ore valuable in the draft.

In short, the NFL has lost its collective mind.
Certain GM's have long valued shiny things more than they are probably worth. Lots of high WR picks have worked out, but many haven't. The game continues to change and right now the NFL is pushing the high powered offense, changing rules over time have actually made those WR's more valuable. It will be interesting to see what the Patriots do in a few weeks. I certainly wouldn't be shocked if Bill went against many of the posters on the board and drafted a WR early. However gettting back to the original question, I hope they get Jordan Davis, and I think he will be around then.

Most would like a defensive from six player early.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say there, but I want a cornerback with our first pick. Someone has to be groomed to replace JC and he's not on the roster

I think a CB or NT on the defensive side...if Dean is there at 21, he's an interesting player as well.

On offense, our biggest need is guard, I don't think we'll take one at 21(even if Zion is available) we've proven we can select later round guards that are good(Thuney, Shaq, Andrews etc.) so I would expect to go defense with our first pick.
A name that I've been hearing that has been flying up the draft boards recently is Daxton Hill, someone to watch as well.

I Want a New Thread (stolen: I Want a New Drug - Huey Lewis)

I want a new thread
One that won't make me sick
One that won't make me crash my PC
Or make me feel like a worthless ****

I want a new thread
One that won't hurt my head
One that won't make my drink vermouth
Or make my eyes too red

One that won't make me nervous
Wondering what we'll do
One that makes me feel like I felt when BB picked
Mankins at 32.

I want a new thread
One that won't kill
Our cap, doesn't cost too much
of Draft capital

I want a new thread
One that won't go away
One that won't keep me up all night
One that won't make me sleep all day

Wondering what we'll do
One that makes me feel like a PF draft guru
When I'm here with you
I'm here with you, BCG

I want a new thread
One that does what it should
One that won't make me feel too bad
One that won't make me feel too good

I want a new thread
One with no doubt
One that won't make me talk to myself
Or make me scream out loud

Wondering what to do
One that makes me feel like I feel when I'm with you
When I'm here with you
I'm here with you

I'm all for drafting defense on all levels- especially since our div rival and IMO AFC favorite to make it to the Super Bowl didn't have to punt vs us in 8 quarters and scored 80 points in 2 games.

Last edited:
I'm all for drafting defense on all levels- especially since our div rival and IMO AFC favorite to make it to the Super Bowl didn't have to punt vs us in 8 quarters and scored 80 points.
fair enough

I think that it ls likely that a blue chip defensive player will be available at 21, probably at corner.

OK, the best player available is likely to be the center.
If the Pats can’t get a trade that is higher than what they value that player (Linderbaum?) and he is in fact the BPA based on their board, then they should take him.

The fact that it’s a weak WB class, combined with the likelihood that no TE or RB will be drafted in the first round means most of the top defensive players will be gone when the Patriots pick, however if the QB needy teams decide to say “ screw it,” and take the WB’s could push a good defender down to them, probably Wyatt or Lloyd, I don’t believe there is any way Belichick will draft. 5’11 LB ( Dean).

I Want a New Thread (stolen: I Want a New Drug - Huey Lewis)

I want a new thread
One that won't make me sick
One that won't make me crash my PC
Or make me feel like a worthless ****

I want a new thread
One that won't hurt my head
One that won't make my drink vermouth
Or make my eyes too red

Wondering what we'll do
One that makes me feel like I felt when BB picked
Mankins at 32.

I want a new thread
One that won't kill
Our cap, doesn't cost too much
of Draft capital

I want a new thread
One that won't go away
One that won't keep me up all night
One that won't make me sleep all day

Wondering what we'll do
One that makes me feel like a PF draft guru
When I'm here with you
I'm here with you, BCG

I want a new thread
One that does what it should
One that won't make me feel too bad
One that won't make me feel too good

I want a new thread
One with no doubt
One that won't make me talk to myself
Or make me scream out loud

Wondering what to do
One that makes me feel like I feel when I'm with you
When I'm here with you
I'm here with you
Seriously though ...

@mgteich just ask a question bro no need for this thread lol.

Taking a CB would be hilarious given the front 7 is among the worst in the league. Pats need to go a different direction like they did when Bill first started taking DL 3 out of first 4 years. A good secondary is worthless when you are soft as Charmin against the run and can't get to the QB.

Last edited:
Trade up!
Draft a D BEAST

GM'n is easy

Seriously though ...

@mgteich just ask a question bro no need for this thread lol.
Seriously, I've seen dozens of threads started that could easily fall under existing 2 or 3 threads. Should we start a new thread for every position? I don't get it.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back