PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mandatory Mini Camp Practice- 6/16

Reiss will tell you exactly what members of the Patriots organization want you to know word for word. This can be both a good and bad thing.

Bedard actually has to be a journalist who works for scoops and with that comes being both right and wrong about stuff.

Stidham is largely irrelevant unless the team decides that Cam's got to go, and Jones is going to be inconsistent, because he's a rookie. The next rookie who never has a down day will be the first rookie who never had a down day.
We spoke about this in another thread. Even second year Brady had a really bad game against the broncos, where he threw 4?? I think interceptions. I wouldn't get too down on a rookie in mini camp having a bad day.

Rubbish. His player analysis before, during and after DFG is crap.
Not rubbish at all. People here valued his opinion a lot. I think we even had two different threads about his day after analysis.

We spoke about this in another thread. Even second year Brady had a really bad game against the broncos, where he threw 4?? I think interceptions. I wouldn't get too down on a rookie in mini camp having a bad day.
I agree that we need to temper expectations of rookies in June, and even early in training camp. There's a difference here that we need to acknowledge, though, between not getting too down and not taking some problems seriously. And by that I mean (roughly)

It's one thing if the problems are a function of externals (playing against the better defense, playing with scrubs, lots of new information and/or defensive scheming, etc...), and another thing is the problems are a function of internals (significant error repetition, repeated misses on similar throws, arm strength limitations, etc...

And I'm not saying that such is the problem in New England this offseason, as that's not what we seem to be hearing from the reporting. I'm just saying that it's something we need to look for, because those sorts of struggles would be red flags for at least year one, and possibly beyond.

As for the reporter stuff, I'm not sure why it's being brought up again. I thought that was already well trod territory.

• Reiss is the guy you can trust the most, but that's partly a function of him not being much of a news breaker or risk taker.
  • Curran is usually solid, but he gets his back up and will double down on bad reporting.
  • Bedard is hit and miss, but he's willing to put his positions out there, he looks at things a lot of others in the area don't, and he is willing to go against the grain.
  • Volin's a clown who would still be a junior typesetter type if newspapers were still a thing and real sports guys wanted to work there.

Bedard brings up thought-provoking points but I don't believe 80% of the crap he slings.

Whereas w/ guys like Reiss, Howe, Curran and Perry their "believe-ability" index is much hire than his.
I don’t mind Bedard but I agree that he makes things up, such as comments from people within the organization.

Perry is probably my favorite. Smart guy, insightful, doesn’t say outrageous things for shock value and doesn’t play favorites, just calls it like he sees it. Curran seems to have finally gotten over Brady leaving, which is a good thing, because he was a tough listen last year.. He and Perry have a good chemistry on their pod. I love Reiss too but he is more of a pure reporter, doesn’t pretend to watch film, etc.

Cam the player on the Patriots made me make more trips to the spirits store.
5diddy.gif

Not rubbish at all. People here valued his opinion a lot. I think we even had two different threads about his day after analysis.
I don't know who you are referring to but I have never been in that camp.

Stidham is largely irrelevant unless the team decides that Cam's got to go, and Jones is going to be inconsistent, because he's a rookie. The next rookie who never has a down day will be the first rookie who never had a down day.
I still find it very hard to believe that if Cam isn't the starter that he will still be here on opening day. Which explains why Hoyer is here. Jones/Stidham/Hoyer makes more sense then trying to keep Cam here and everyone happy if he isn't starting.

I still find it very hard to believe that if Cam isn't the starter that he will still be here on opening day. Which explains why Hoyer is here. Jones/Stidham/Hoyer makes more sense then trying to keep Cam here and everyone happy if he isn't starting.

Could very well be; but if Stid & Jones out-perform Cam during TC, scrimmages & pre-season games enough to give Bill confidence to enter Week 1 with them as 1/2 or 2/1, where would Cam go at this point that would give him a better chance to start anyway? He might as well stay here for awhile longer as the 2/3 and see what happens when injuries & ineffectiveness start happening throughout the league...

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back