PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mandatory Mini Camp Practice- 6/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
...that is exactly how it'll play out.

Cam will be Damon Huard.
As long as it’s because Mac is playing above coaching staff expectations and earned the role, and not because Cam is airmailing throws when he’s not throwing at people’s feet and Jones gets the job by default….

As long as it’s because Mac is playing above coaching staff expectations and earned the role, and not because Cam is airmailing throws when he’s not throwing at people’s feet and Jones gets the job by default….
I think if that situation came to pass you'd see Stid or <gulp> Hoyer before Mac

I think if that situation came to pass you'd see Stid or <gulp> Hoyer before Mac
Really? I think BB will not be blind to potential, even if it came with an unavoidable learning curve

For the love of God Mac, blow BB out of the water and shine far beyond expectation forcing BB to start you in Week 1 and forever. It seems pointless to bring in all this pass catching talent and saddle them with sail 'n' bounce Newton.

It would be nice if his got past his bust of a rookie season. This team is going to need 3 TEs if 2TE sets are going to be a thing. Hell, given the injury history of Henry and Smith, they may need 4.
A disappointing rookie season is NOT a "bust" From the get go we were told that coming into this offense as a rookie was VERY difficult. And it has been for every TE that has come into this system and is even more so as the the playbook expanded over this last decade. But given that players have been labelled busts after poor OTA practices on this board by the resident experts I shouldn't be surprised.

BTW- If this offense is going to thrive as a 2 TE version, the Asisasi is going to HAVE to play well as the #3 because neither Smith or Henry is going to end up playing 60 snaps a game for 17 regular season games;.

A disappointing rookie season is NOT a "bust" From the get go we were told that coming into this offense as a rookie was VERY difficult. And it has been for every TE that has come into this system and is even more so as the the playbook expanded over this last decade. But given that players have been labelled busts after poor OTA practices on this board by the resident experts I shouldn't be surprised.

BTW- If this offense is going to thrive as a 2 TE version, the Asisasi is going to HAVE to play well as the #3 because neither Smith or Henry is going to end up playing 60 snaps a game for 17 regular season games;.

You're right, Ken, of course. And poor Devin Asiasi had to cope with the murder of one of his closest friends in the course of the season.

But some people are the way they are ...

Really? I think BB will not be blind to potential, even if it came with an unavoidable learning curve
I do think he'd hold him back if he felt a disaster would stunt his development and only put him in situations he felt he had a chance to be sucessful.

If he feels he has the mental toughness to take the pounding, get up, shake it off, learn and avoid the same mistake he'll throw 'em to the wolves.

My gut tells me Mac is a mentally tough SOB. We will see him sooner rather than later.

Offensive weapons get you nowhere if you're airmailing the ball 10 feet over their heads. Which he's doing NOW with traffic cones playing D.
Christ it was ONE Pass in the pouring rain at MMC in JUNE! Are going to to have that clip on speed dial so you you can post it every time Cam throws an incompletion>???? Take a rest. No one has put on a pad yet and WON'T for another 2 month. So lets make macro judgements based on what we are seeing from Cam in mid June.

BTW- Let me throw this out their for everyone looking to rush Jones into the starting role.

Tom Brady has perhaps the best football mind ever to play the game. And if not the best, he's certainly in the top 10. I don't remember hearing anyone pushing to have him start in 2000. IIRC most werre fairly shocked he was the back up in 2001. And don';t forget that Brady was widely thought to be a "game manager" who wasn't asked to do much his first 2+ years as a starter other to protect the ball and stay within the game plan.

Now the hue and cry is to throw this kid into the fire of the most complex offensive game plan and compete against a very competitive division with players he's never played with (and in in a time where the offseason coaching is very limited compared to 2000.

We all want Mack Jones to ultimately succeed here. Sitting and watching didn't hurt Brady. It didn't hurt Mahomes. It certainly didn't hurt Rodgers, he sat 3 years.

Now I was as critical as anyone of Cam's season last year, but no one can say there weren't a lot of extenuating circumstances. Now there aren't. But given his past successes I believe he at least deserves a shot a failing on the FIELD of play in some preseason games before you throw him under the bus. Not picking out one or two media clips from a shorts and tshirt affair....in the rain. BTW- where were the clips of the 10+ completions that day? No THEY would fit the narrative would they. :rolleyes:

For the love of God Mac, blow BB out of the water and shine far beyond expectation forcing BB to start you in Week 1 and forever. It seems pointless to bring in all this pass catching talent and saddle them with sail 'n' bounce Newton.
Sail ‘n bounce is not going to play. Either Newton improves or he offers little. In that case the competition would be between Mac and Stidham.

High really does look lighter. I'll eyeball him at 253.4lbs.
I like it, at this point in his career Hightower won’t be quite the same physical disruptive force he once was, but he’s as smart as ever and can lead the defense like he always has. Being lighter means he probably gets hurt less, even if he’s less effective as a result. Would rather have him out there more.

Outside of the first couple games of the season he didn't really run that well. He lumbers and basically slams into people now. Can't imagine that is a lasting strategy.
Ok I’ve been as critical as anyone towards Newton, calling for him to be benched many times last year. But the above statement is not true. At least last year, he was elusive enough to make the 1st guy miss AND tough enough to run people over. I agree it’s far from a lasting strategy, though.

It would be nice if his got past his bust of a rookie season. This team is going to need 3 TEs if 2TE sets are going to be a thing. Hell, given the injury history of Henry and Smith, they may need 4.

Typing out of your ass once again, I see. Regular season games played by Smith in his NFL career: 16, 13, 16, 15. He doesn’t have an “injury history”. A mild hammy strain in minicamp doesn’t qualify. Try again.

Your use of “bust” for rookie season during COVID is laughable, but not surprising. You conveniently left out the extenuating circumstances that likely contributed to all but one rookie TE (Bryant) struggling mightily in 2020, or the fact that historically the vast majority of rookie TEs fail to contribute in a meaningful way, even with a full offseason and training camp.

Last edited:
Christ it was ONE Pass in the pouring rain at MMC in JUNE! Are going to to have that clip on speed dial so you you can post it every time Cam throws an incompletion>???? Take a rest. No one has put on a pad yet and WON'T for another 2 month. So lets make macro judgements based on what we are seeing from Cam in mid June.

BTW- Let me throw this out their for everyone looking to rush Jones into the starting role.

Tom Brady has perhaps the best football mind ever to play the game. And if not the best, he's certainly in the top 10. I don't remember hearing anyone pushing to have him start in 2000. IIRC most werre fairly shocked he was the back up in 2001. And don';t forget that Brady was widely thought to be a "game manager" who wasn't asked to do much his first 2+ years as a starter other to protect the ball and stay within the game plan.

Now the hue and cry is to throw this kid into the fire of the most complex offensive game plan and compete against a very competitive division with players he's never played with (and in in a time where the offseason coaching is very limited compared to 2000.

We all want Mack Jones to ultimately succeed here. Sitting and watching didn't hurt Brady. It didn't hurt Mahomes. It certainly didn't hurt Rodgers, he sat 3 years.

Now I was as critical as anyone of Cam's season last year, but no one can say there weren't a lot of extenuating circumstances. Now there aren't. But given his past successes I believe he at least deserves a shot a failing on the FIELD of play in some preseason games before you throw him under the bus. Not picking out one or two media clips from a shorts and tshirt affair....in the rain. BTW- where were the clips of the 10+ completions that day? No THEY would fit the narrative would they. :rolleyes:
Uh, no, it wasn't I've seen video from multiple days with multiple airmailed balls in each.

And as I've pointed out repeatedly, Jones isn't behind a player was is the 'face of the franchise' and who just signed a $100 million dollar contract. He's behind an arguably washed-up QB who was never as good as his rep and who's coming off possibly the worst QB season of this century.

As for his past successes, his MVP was a fluke largely based on being a running back and he was thoroughly exposed when he came up against an actual defense in the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes