PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mandatory Mini Camp Practice- 6/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ it was ONE Pass in the pouring rain at MMC in JUNE! Are going to to have that clip on speed dial so you you can post it every time Cam throws an incompletion>???? Take a rest. No one has put on a pad yet and WON'T for another 2 month. So lets make macro judgements based on what we are seeing from Cam in mid June.

BTW- Let me throw this out their for everyone looking to rush Jones into the starting role.

Tom Brady has perhaps the best football mind ever to play the game. And if not the best, he's certainly in the top 10. I don't remember hearing anyone pushing to have him start in 2000. IIRC most werre fairly shocked he was the back up in 2001. And don';t forget that Brady was widely thought to be a "game manager" who wasn't asked to do much his first 2+ years as a starter other to protect the ball and stay within the game plan.

Now the hue and cry is to throw this kid into the fire of the most complex offensive game plan and compete against a very competitive division with players he's never played with (and in in a time where the offseason coaching is very limited compared to 2000.

We all want Mack Jones to ultimately succeed here. Sitting and watching didn't hurt Brady. It didn't hurt Mahomes. It certainly didn't hurt Rodgers, he sat 3 years.

Now I was as critical as anyone of Cam's season last year, but no one can say there weren't a lot of extenuating circumstances. Now there aren't. But given his past successes I believe he at least deserves a shot a failing on the FIELD of play in some preseason games before you throw him under the bus. Not picking out one or two media clips from a shorts and tshirt affair....in the rain. BTW- where were the clips of the 10+ completions that day? No THEY would fit the narrative would they. :rolleyes:
" I don't remember hearing anyone pushing to have him start in 2000." True but the circumstances were entirely different:

(1) Tom Brady was a sixth round 199th pick in the draft barely an afterthought. Mac Jones is a first rounder, pick 15 !!

(2) Brady was playing behind Drew Bledsoe arguably the best quarterback New England has ever had before Brady. Mac Jones is coming in behind Cam Newton who comes in to replace the goat and ends up having a miserable year as QB #1. When last did pats fans see such poor QB play.

(3) Bill spends over 160 million in free agency to assemble a ridiculous amount of talent for another season with last year's Cam Newton ??

I get it, I hate seeing rookies thrown into it before they are ready. I believe Cam Newton will be a lot better, Stidham will be better. But like it or not, if Cam Newton plays like last year's Cam Newton, someone else is going to be thrown in as quarterback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back