PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malik Cunningham = QB1

Again it’s not a Zappe thing. Every pocket QB would have looked terrible last night with our 3rd string OL including Brady.

Yep, Mac too...They were rushing just 4 sometimes but each man was beating his block... There might've been just a couple of attempts during which there wasn't at least one free rusher coming from some direction... Give the little dude a chance with some professional blockers at least!

Agreed, however it will all depend on Zappe and Cunningham continue to develop by that point. None we have to stash him somewhere on the roster.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230811_201936_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811_201936_Samsung Internet.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 21
OK.

Cunningham won't be starting at QB in 2023, and won't be valuable this year, except on the scout team. Of course, it is possible that he could be OK as our emergency #3 QB.

That being said, should be kept on the 53? How valuable is he on the scout team? How valuable is Cunningham as a possible 2024 0r 2025 #2?
I THINK the answer to that could be yes or at least becoming yes. As a pure "football player" he looks like the real deal. Very twitchy the kind almost exactly the kind of guy Edelman was. He made the team as a punt returner/WR in training guy. And low and behold 3 years later he was an overnight success story.

Cunningham LOOKS like that kind of guy. He's not going to help you now, but he WILL down the road and can do a JUST enough things now that can justify keeping him on the roster (WR depth, 3rd string emergency QB, valuable scout team player)

I jknow roster spots are going to be at a premium for this team and Cunningham looks like is too much of a luxury choice to keep. And what I DON'T know is what the market is going to be on cut down day vs who might need a guy like him AND has the extra roster spot to steal him, especailly if he continues to show flashes of being the kind of guy you WANT on your team.

And as an aside, having a guy who can simulate a Jackson-like QB on a weekly basis IS a valuable tool to have and VERY helpful to the defense. In an ideal world he develops his WR chops and scout team duties while on the PS. The question is, are we likely to lose him?

This thread is a waste of broadband. Just the work of the trolls who are here to aggravate us with nonsense.

I LIKE Cunningham. THIS year I like him as the scout team QB giving great looks to our defense when we play RPO type QB's. That's IT. After that develop him as a QB or WR, I don't care. The kid seems to be what Edelman was at the beginning, a good football player. Now turn that ability into a productive player.

BTW- keep this in mind. In the 4th quarter of the first exhibition game you are not only getting the dregs of the roster, you are getting every basic defensive calls and DEFINITELY zero game planning. All of which plays right into the wheelhouse of a player with the skills of Malik Cunningham.

I'm happy with what we saw from him. But outside of a potential situational play designed for him, or ST's role, his value to the team is going to be his scout team role for THIS year, while he learns and develops into the type of football player Bill's deems as his best chance to have a career in the league.

How dare you throw water on all this drama?

I demand that you let all this reckless speculation get out of control.

smile scared GIF

This thread is a waste of broadband. Just the work of the trolls who are here to aggravate us with nonsense.

I LIKE Cunningham. THIS year I like him as the scout team QB giving great looks to our defense when we play RPO type QB's. That's IT. After that develop him as a QB or WR, I don't care. The kid seems to be what Edelman was at the beginning, a good football player. Now turn that ability into a productive player.

BTW- keep this in mind. In the 4th quarter of the first exhibition game you are not only getting the dregs of the roster, you are getting every basic defensive calls and DEFINITELY zero game planning. All of which plays right into the wheelhouse of a player with the skills of Malik Cunningham.

I'm happy with what we saw from him. But outside of a potential situational play designed for him, or ST's role, his value to the team is going to be his scout team role for THIS year, while he learns and develops into the type of football player Bill's deems as his best chance to have a career in the league.

FWIW this thread was started with tongue in cheek. Sorry if that’s not painfully obvious. I think it’s been a fun discussion. Sorry you don’t think the same.

wow, we have a QB controversy. amazing position we're in...Zappe or Cunningham!

If BB sees value in his abilities and what it can do for the team, he'll find a role for him. I'd say the BB will find a way to protect him as he's got to like what he's seen after paying him so much to keep him away from other GMs. Unless he already knows what he has and only used the game as a means of boosting the kids trade value. I'd like to see him flourish with the Pats though.

If BB sees value in his abilities and what it can do for the team, he'll find a role for him. I'd say the BB will find a way to protect him as he's got to like what he's seen after paying him so much to keep him away from other GMs. Unless he already knows what he has and only used the game as a means of boosting the kids trade value. I'd like to see him flourish with the Pats though.
Me as well.. I've made mention the league has Morphed into Mobile QBs. Look at some of the top QBs Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Watson , hurts, not only are they accurate they all are athletic and can move. I just like what the kid brings.. he brings athleticism and excitement. BB was in a bidding war over signing him from other teams. He wasn't just brung here for a workout they know his abilities and it's just now about letting him develop on the pro level.

I hope we can keep him around!

Mcafee had a large sized segment about Cunningham and his abilities he isn’t lasting a minute on waivers.

Lamar (new_era8) cheering for him.

1691856034757.png

I've never seen a guy get his helmet ripped off quite like that. The defender grabbed his facemask and turned the helmet all the way around across Malik's face before it came off his head. Brutal.
That should have been an ejection.
What's the point of having that rule if they don't use it?
They need to be a little quicker with the hook.

Mcafee had a large sized segment about Cunningham and his abilities he isn’t lasting a minute on waivers.
Has he developed more ability since zero teams were willing to use a 7th round pick? Now they will guarantee him a roster spot?

That should have been an ejection.
What's the point of having that rule if they don't use it?
They need to be a little quicker with the hook.
Ejected for what? His hand got caught in the face mask so they gave him a face masking penalty.

Ejected for what? His hand got caught in the face mask so they gave him a face masking penalty.
Yep, he sure did. Usually if that happens though you should realize you're turning someone's head around, unless you're interested in hurting someone. I can't read minds though so I guess we'll never know.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back