Malcolm Mitchell Out For Divisional Playoffs vs Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Malcolm Mitchell Out For Divisional Playoffs vs Titans

Robert Alvarez

Malcolm Mitchell not activated to 53 man roster for AFC Divisional Playoffs, will not play against the Tennessee Titans.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I have no clue what to make of this story anymore. He's at practices sporadically. His jersey is being spotted in the locker room. But he's not dressing for games. I think we're all pretty excited to see him back, but can a guy who has taken no contact and has not played a real game since February of last season really help the offense the final two games (presumably)? Has there been precedent? But I guess we'll see if he's even activated by 4p Wednesday.

We don't not want him in the AFC-CCGame. Don't want any player trying to knock off rust in that Game. I wouldn't be against them shutting him down entirely, we are too far in game at this point.

We don't not want him in the AFC-CCGame. Don't want any player trying to knock off rust in that Game. I wouldn't be against them shutting him down entirely, we are too far in game at this point.
I think this is the most likely outcome at this point, though I obviously wouldn't know that for sure.

Just thought about something let's say they activate him next Wednesday I wouldn't expect him to play. But let's say we do and we win the next week. The next and last Game he would be eligible to play is in the Super Bowl. Which is the very last game he played the year before... things that make you go Hmmmmm.o_O

Last edited:
Which is the very last game he played the year before... things that make you go Hmmmmm.o_O

Indeed. It's an unusual set of circumstances overall given he has been "back" numerous times, up to and including full padded practice (which is supposedly no cakewalk with this team).

Could it still be injury or is it something else at this point? Just strange.

Indeed. It's an unusual set of circumstances overall given he has been "back" numerous times, up to and including full padded practice (which is supposedly no cakewalk with this team).

One things for certain if they Activate him next week, it tells us how they really feel about him. We have seen how BB operates in the past and he's not been very patient in these type of scenarios.

Maybe Game plan against Titans don't call for extra WR. But I am sure if we and Pittsburgh advance that won't be a 10-7 Game.

I think this is the most likely outcome at this point, though I obviously wouldn't know that for sure.
I think there were some hints in Belichick, McD’s, and even Brady’s comments where they were somewhat reserved when talking about the prospect of him returning the past few weeks, but I also thought that he may have been an improvement upon Dorsett/Britt simply due to being more knowledgeable and comfy in the system.

I’d have to lean towards your opinion that it’s probably more likely that he won’t return, but there was no harm in designating him a few weeks ago in case we have an injury at the position.

Just thought about something let's say they activate him next Wednesday I wouldn't expect him to play. But let's say we do and we win the next week. The next and last Game he would be eligible to play is in the Super Bowl. Which is the very last game he played the year before... things that make you go Hmmmmm.o_O
Plus, there would be two more weeks of rest should they advance beyond the AFCCG (if it comes to that). It’s not likely, but it’s hypothetically possible that he could be activated but still wouldn’t play next week, which may give him 3 more weeks to prepare for a SB matchup.

Again though, we’re looking ahead, but I suppose there would be a slight possibility depending on what they see in practice and how they feel about Dorsett’s ability to produce.

Looks like Dorsett will get the reps.

Maybe. Got me to wondering how Dorsett and Britt have fared against LeBeau's coverage schemes.

Dorsett, with Indy, played against LeBeau's TEN defense 4 times during 2015 & 2016. His stats lines:
2016 ... 0-0
2016 ... 1/3, 50 yds
2015 ... 2/3, 43 yds (35yd TD)
2015 ... 4/9, 28 yds, 1 rush/11 yds
(2015 was Dorsett's rookie season)

Britt played against the Titans earlier this season while he was with CLE:
... 2/5, 7 yds

Previously, while with TEN, Britt played against LeBeau's PIT defense 4 times:
2013 ... 1/2, 15 yds
2012 ... 4/11, 62 yds, (37yd TD)
2010 ... 5/7, 41 yds
2009 ... 4/6, 85 yds (Britt's rookie season)

Dorsett and Britt can get the snaps, but #12 has to throw to both of them... have felt that the lack of confidence by #12 in both of these guys all season has slowed our offense...

Dorsett and Britt can get the snaps, but #12 has to throw to both of them... have felt that the lack of confidence by #12 in both of these guys all season has slowed our offense...

"Slowed the offense"?

2016: 441 points scored .. 3rd in points, 4th in yards .. 203 passing 1st downs
2017: 458 points scored .. 2nd in points, 1st in yards .. 232 passing 1st downs

Clearly, neither Dorsett nor Britt have executed enough plays consistently well enough in practice (yet) to get looks as the 1st or 2nd read on more than a handful of plays. That's not unexpected, given their lack of experience in the system. Allen also hasn't been executing pass plays well enough in practice to get many early reads, either.

But, none of this is solely on Brady. It's really not that "Brady doesn't trust them". The lack of tgts for these guys is built into the game plan devised by McD, based on who has consistently executed the plays that they feel they need to run against a specific defensive scheme. And, Brady being TFB, he doesn't typically need to get as far as his later reads or to improvise very often. It's rarely going to matter whether Dorsett, Britt or Allen get wide open a couple-three times in a given game if Brady has already decided that Gronk, Cooks, Amendola or one of the RBs is "open enough" to make the throw.

Could it be they are just really high on him and while they dont plan on dressing him, just dont want the year to be a complete waste so they get him involved as much as possible without putting him in a game? Younger players who sit out full years dont have a good outlook here. Im not exactly sure how it works and could be way off but maybe being there and practicing is better than nothing for his progress?

Well... that sucks.

its alot to ask a player to not get any game action and come in and perform in a playoff game.

But it makes sense to keep him for insurance at this point if anyone goes down.

With HOgan healthy your top 3 wr's are Cooks/Hogan/AMendola....with dorsett as a 4th

Maybe this will somehow motivate Dorsett/Britt? If they don't perform than one of them will be inactive over Mitchell?

Maybe this will somehow motivate Dorsett/Britt? If they don't perform than one of them will be inactive over Mitchell?

I seriously doubt that "motivation" is an issue with either Dorsett or Britt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes