PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Mitchell apparently retired

Status
Not open for further replies.

luuked

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Caught this on Reddit..

In a very emotional Ted talk at TedxUGA, Malcolm Mitchell announced that he would not return to football. The speech was given tonight March 22nd to a crowd of thousands in Athens, GA where he is a football icon.
Best part of the speech, “So my time playing football has come to and end...” pulls out Super Bowl ring “but before I left I made sure to get one of these”

source:

If it turns out to be true and there is not much reason to assume it is not then I can only say it is a pity. He was a substantial part of the team in 2016 and made important plays in the SB. For that alone his pick was worth it. I mean there is a reason why he was available in round 4 and that was injury concerns.

The preseason was never his friend in terms of injuries. Even in his first preseason he injured his shoulder. And in his second preseason he suffered the knee injury that not only landed him on IR but in the end was also the beginning of the end.

EDIT: Confirmed by PFT.

Last edited:
Good player and seemingly an even better guy. Good luck to him.

Too bad it points to the lack of longevity in this game... his admission of having reading difficulties and then trying to do something about was inspiring.. then his performance on the field made me think we had solved which is often viewed as our forever WR problem solved..

Loved him. Thought he would of been a very good player for us. Earned Brady’s trust as a rookie very quickly which is unusual. Wish his body would of let him play for longer.

All the best success going forward. Nobody would have gotten rings that year without your contributions.

Last edited:
I really liked the guy. Big contributor in a Super Bowl his rookie year and just a good guy. With all the garbage you hear about so many players, this guy was joining book clubs and tweeting back and forth with Reese Witherspoon about the latest books they’d read. Just made me smile. All the best to him.

Is there another player in history to have only played on Super Bowl winning teams?

Godspeed, Mr. Mitchell. New England will remember you with gratitude. Don't be a stranger.

So sorry to hear it. Excellent player and a better person (it seems). I wish him every success.

Even when BB finally nails a WR draft pick, it still doesn’t end up working out haha. Like others said, great player for the short time we had him but a better person.

Sorry to see ...gone are the days of the Malcolms.
Do we have any left?

Sucks when a person can't pursue their dreams but fortunately for him his gifts, abilities and talents are not defined by football but something greater.

He made crucial SB51 catches especially the one on 3rd and 10 for 11 yards. I thank him for that.

Would like to see that video when it’s posted. Didn’t know he was such a legend in GA.

We'll always have 28-3, Malcolm! Best of luck in your future endeavors...

A very bittersweet career. Best of luck to the young man!

And this is pretty good reason why I don't hold it against any athlete who pays his dues here and wants more money somewhere else. Because what happened to Mitchell can happen to anyone at anytime. Pay your dues, win your ring and make your money if you can.

Liked him. Reminded me of David givens. And sadly, both their careers ended with injuries.

Really nice guy, my Dad met him at a book signing for his book Magicians Hat, got a signed copy for my daughter. Was right after the SB, got to chat with him for a few minutes and got a pic. Short but impactful tenure with the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes