PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bingo. I have no idea why they thought Rowe on Jeffrey was the way to go either. Gilmore on Jeffrey was the obvious choice from the beginning, not at half.

Even a sick butler could have worked over the smaller agholor.
I have no problem switching up who was on Jeffrey. I’d have to look at which of those were zone as well.

where did you hear he was weak at practice? the reports were full participation
and a “focused” week of practice.

if my hunch is correct, and the flu story was a cover for his antics in foxborough over the weekend, then it would explain the separate flight and missed additional flight.

we learned of a
“separate” flight on wed, the first day of practice...what if he arrived too late for even the start of practice?

i kept asking, was butler
on the flight or quarantined and we never got an answer on that monday when the flight landed; we only got that info on wed, almost like it was a surprise to the team. and, then a fully healthy butler is sitting there answering media questions on thursday.

if really any of these stories are true, it is a horrible look for butler who is now a free agent. and, when bb gives up on you, especially if you’re good, that player ends up
simply fading away.

no way bb would dress
and bench butler if he just had the flu.

i do think bb was not wanting to reward butler by playing him, but also he felt smallish, more zone style cb, wouldn’t work with with what the gameplan was vs larger wrs.

nothing more, nothing less and the guy butler
would have best matched up with as a way to take out smith, would have beem butler, but smith was taken out already likely by maybe mccourty off
camera. bademosi only played 11
snaps so there is no way he can be blamed here

LOL hunches.

ui5g4zNu.jpeg

And that bademosi missed tackle on 3rd down was critical.

Star players have had bad practices before and played. I believe Butler was benched because he was already not in Belichick's good graces.
It’s probably a combination of things.
Possible things: poor recent play, attitude issues, reports about drug use while at the Sb, illness, matchup, but ultimately given that as bad as the d played they never put him in I’d say something severe is mixed in there.

Ian Rapoport 's Twitter: "My understanding is the benching of #Patriots CB Malcolm Butler happened because of a perfect storm of issues: Sickness, a rough week of practice, and a minor rule violation believed to be related to curfew. A complicated matter."

So this says he had a bad practice (Which is essentially what Belichick said). Rapaport is saying there was an added minor rule violation with curfew. How minor? 5 minutes late? 2 hours? all night?

Star players have had bad practices before and played. I believe Butler was benched because he was already not in Belichick's good graces.

probably a
combination of things..i am
no anti-weed guy but between blowing up at coaches, blowing vape pens in your
room during curfew check while missing curfews, entire meetings and flights with a drunken state at times, is not a good look for him.

if you can’t trust the guy and he goes off the rails where he is not practicing within the gameplan, what is bb supposed to do? butler has been freelancing all year, while showing up teammates at the end of the play.

So this says he had a bad practice (Which is essentially what Belichick said). Rapaport is saying there was an added minor rule violation with curfew. How minor? 5 minutes late? 2 hours? all night?

do not trust rapoport anymore

Eagles Assistant Coach Reacts To Patriots’ ‘Crazy’ Malcolm Butler Benching

"“To go after 25 (Rowe),” the assistant said of the Eagles’ game plan with Butler out. “We could get Alshon (Jeffery) out there against him. We had Rowe on our team here in Philly, we knew that was a mismatch.”

Man, that's such a good point that is overlooked. With Rowe being an ex-Eagle, they knew him well, and how to exploit him.

"“To go after 25 (Rowe),” the assistant said of the Eagles’ game plan with Butler out. “We could get Alshon (Jeffery) out there against him. We had Rowe on our team here in Philly, we knew that was a mismatch.”

Read more at: Eagles Assistant Coach Reacts To Patriots’ ‘Crazy’ Malcolm Butler Benching

Man, that's such a good point that is overlooked. With Rowe being an ex-Eagle, they knew him well, and how to exploit him.

Yup, stupid coaching.

This "bad practice" excuse the team is leaking out is hilarious.

Isn't this the same guy who had a "bad practice" leading up to Super Bowl XLIX, where he kept getting beat on the pick play?

Oh, how'd that end up working out?

bad practice or still not sticking with the gameplans?

pretty cool that on monday with the flu, he was guaranteed to be ready for sunday, when the flu is completely unpredictable, especially this season’s version of it.

why wasn’t harmon over the top, taking it all
away?

amendola used to play for philly and he exploited the daylights out of them. pointless comment from philly

bb/patricia mismanaged the personnel matchups

not sure how or why when ne matched up well

It’s probably a combination of things.
Possible things: poor recent play, attitude issues, reports about drug use while at the Sb, illness, matchup, but ultimately given that as bad as the d played they never put him in I’d say something severe is mixed in there.
Drug use. It's marijuana. Didn't Chandler Jones play after being high and wandering about half naked in public?

He must not have been that ill because he suited up wearing a helmet and being out there on at least one ST play.

Matchups? He has played 97% of the snaps this season. Last night? 0%.

There is no real evidence of attitude issues from Butler. Even a mixture of all of the above is not good reason to hold him out even a snap.

LOL hunches.

ui5g4zNu.jpeg

And that bademosi missed tackle on 3rd down was critical.

lol

my deducing and usually being right, is not really “lol” worthy.

the gal above claimed butler was “weak” in practice, where i have yet to see any credence to that at all.

lol

Almost a day late but it seems people start to slowly realize what some have been saying here even in the GDT thread:

Stop mentioning Richards when you are talking about Butler.

Giardi is assuming static play calling, which is a lousy assumption.

bad practice or still not sticking with the gameplans?

pretty cool that on monday with the flu, he was guaranteed to be ready for sunday, when the flu is completely unpredictable, especially this season’s version of it.

I mean half the eagles team had the flu and it didn't seem to slow them down. Wasnt Agholor getting IV the day before the game for his illness? It's not unreasonable for them to expect Butler to be fine by Sunday if he was getting treatment on Monday.

Drug use. It's marijuana. Didn't Chandler Jones play after being high and wandering about half naked in public?

He must not have been that ill because he suited up wearing a helmet and being out there on at least one ST play.

Matchups? He has played 97% of the snaps this season. Last night? 0%.

There is no real evidence of attitude issues from Butler. Even a mixture of all of the above is not good reason to hold him out even a snap.

yes, he apologized, was contrite, didn’t miss meetings, flights or blow up at coaches.

see the difference?

Maybe he had some bad practices because he had the flu. But people do recover.

Giardi is assuming static play calling, which is a lousy assumption.

he is correct. i would have used bademosi in for chung on ertz and never used richards.

tell harmon to not move over the top in support of rowe, and put gilmore on agoholor.

so
simple....then, you hope chung returns and back to ertz, sliding bademosi over to torrey smith, freeing mccourty back up

was mccoury on torrey smith at cb at times?

still doesn't explain why he was not inserted into the game when the team may have gotten a spark from him. I blame Belichick for sticking too much to his guns, but butler is also at fault for not being a team player here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe