PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what he is saying is the final decision was made before kick off in terms of Butler being moved down the roster in favor of Bademosi.

I am not buying this shock crap by the other players. I am sure it was surprising, but not out of the woodwork based on the gameplan ideas and the size of Philly's. WRs.

So you’re not buying the quoted reaction from the players that practiced all week and have been in on the team meetings all week? You think there’s a concerted effort to creat an illusion here? Bill says he wasn’t benched but he wasn’t good enough to play in a game where, in some capacity, he could have been used. The same guy who has started and played all year including 2 weeks ago (and played well). The same guy whose teammates practiced with him all week and conveyed shock to see him not play a snap. Is that what you’re not buying?

Not buying much of these analyses...

1. So Butler was AWFUL, TERRIBLE, BROKE ALL THE RULEZ!!!!!

2. That's it! Benched!
2a. So why dress him at all?

3. We needed him if a corner got hurt!

4. Right, so this guy you've just publicly embarrassed, who is this train-wreck rule-breaker is going to be the guy you rely on to go in if YOU, the coach, absolutely have no choice, and only then?
4a. What could possibly go wrong?

ps. Chung was in the slot much of the night. The Eagles' coaches were giddy with that, AND with having Rowe (who they know well) alone on Alshon.

So 108 pages and still only rumors.

Awesome strawman argument. You decide to question my "experience of high level sports" because you've shown that your actual knowledge is lacking of this team and how it's disciplined players in the past.

I played High School and College hockey. And guess what. The good coaches didn't have to discipline the star players we had because they didn't break the team rules.

Where did you play High School and College Hockey, because i played major junior and overseas. Need to know the level

Laughable post.

“Gilmore and his 14 mil needed to be on Agoholor”

What? The correct matchup was Gilmore on Jeffrey. That was pretty much proven in the game. Rowe/Butler on Agholor/Smith. Chung on Ertz. We do that and we likely win the friggin game. We got torched. Patrick Chung covering Nelson Agholor. How was that ever supposed to work?

This was a sh*t show of epic proportions

Agreed, we basically handed the Eagles the SB. The only thing that got in the way was Brady being incredible. One of the greatest SB performances against the supposed #1 defense and best pass rush in the NFL.

BB walks on water. He can't do no wrong. He dropped the ball. He handled it terribly as well. At the last minute.

Right guys. I love the criticism. Are you serious?

7 afc championship games in a row and eight Super Bowls yet no!!
We can’t trust him to make a simple decision about when someone gets benched. Nope that’s betond his ability lmao

I mean wow

We have some very naive fans. They also listen to Felger and Mazz and actually believe ESPN and even Goodell.

The "destroyed" his phone thingy that people believe here is disturbing.

Agreed, we basically handed the Eagles the SB. The only thing that got in the way was Brady being incredible. One of the greatest SB performances against the supposed #1 defense and best pass rush in the NFL.

That's the good thing about this game. He didn't lose the game rather his defense did. We have seen that picture before.

The Eagles pass D was not that good as I stated before the game. I also predicted, Barnett and Long's wide swining, one dimensional pass rush would not work and Cox would be rendered useless.

Yes, Brady was awesome in the second half again. Not so much the first half with 3 dropped INTs, and some red zone struggles.

As I said in the other butler thread, I am okay with butler benching for whatever reasons. I dont know why its wrong toquestion how it was managed by BB. Couldve just cut him or sent him home and played branch or harris instead.

That's the good thing about this game. He didn't lose the game rather his defense did. We have seen that picture before.

Yes, but the offense lost SBs42 and 46. Imagine if Brady played like that in those SBs, instead of no points barely any for full halves?

We have some very naive fans. They also listen to Felger and Mazz and actually believe ESPN and even Goodell.

The "destroyed" his phone thingy that people believe here is disturbing.

No we have some fans who think even the greatest coaches don't have a bad night. Bill and his staff had a bad night on Sunday.

The same guy who has started and played all year including 2 weeks ago (and played well).

Read what Giardi or Thornton wrote about it.

I’m told that Butler “was not in the right frame of mind.” That during practices in Minneapolis he was being belligerent, “snapping” at his coaches. And after a bad week of prep, when game day came around Belichick simply didn’t believe his starting corner was in the headspace to make the calls, adjustments and post-snap reads against the Eagles RPO. At least not to the extent he trusted Eric Rowe and Johnson Bademosi.

You remember how a ****ton of people on this board flipped out when Gilmore had issues with blowing coverages ?

How many as obvious blown coverages in the defensive backfield do you remember on Sunday ? There were a lot of issue with fundamental football but -- apart Richards being the idiot that he is and taking the cheese -- there were no big plays due to blown coverages. The issues were mostly not schematic but players not finishing or making plays. The defense put the Eagles often enough in third & long situations to think that the basic gameplan was not a total turd. The issue came on those third downs where they could not stop a nosebleed which voided anything positive about how they played a lot of the early downs.

Now I have said it multiple times.. personally I would have put Butler in during the middle of the third quarter after Bademosi missed his tackle because at that point it was clear that the issue in this game was poor fundamentals and if Butler had his head in the right space after sitting out the first two quarters he might have been able to help. But then again I am a different person than BB and he has his principles that he adheres to.

Not buying much of these analyses...

1. So Butler was AWFUL, TERRIBLE, BROKE ALL THE RULEZ!!!!!

2. That's it! Benched!
2a. So why dress him at all?

3. We needed him if a corner got hurt!

4. Right, so this guy you've just publicly embarrassed, who is this train-wreck rule-breaker is going to be the guy you rely on to go in if YOU, the coach, absolutely have no choice, and only then?
4a. What could possibly go wrong?

ps. Chung was in the slot much of the night. The Eagles' coaches were giddy with that, AND with having Rowe (who they know well) alone on Alshon.

The discipline/principle thing seems plainly to be a poor move, if that's what actually went down. As you say, if you're so principled that you're holding him out, you should be principled enough to make him inactive. If your principles end when a player gets hurt, then we're just talking about where an obviously movable line is, and that seems like an asinine place to draw it.

BB walks on water. He can't do no wrong. He dropped the ball. He handled it terribly as well. At the last minute.

So, you approve of Malcom Butler, Adalius Tjhomas, Randy Moss and Welker behaviors?

I bet you also supported Logan Mankins and his greed, calling Kraft a liar and then proceeding to play like crap in every postseason thereafter, until BB finally dumped his overrated behind out of here.

Hint: Malcolm Butler handled himself terribly, not BB.

Why is it so hard for you and others to believe that BUTLER was dogging it in practices? Why is it that people like yourself are willing to give him a pass and put all the blame on BB??
Because IBWT. And we take him and
Laughable post.

“Gilmore and his 14 mil needed to be on Agoholor”

What? The correct matchup was Gilmore on Jeffrey. That was pretty much proven in the game. Rowe/Butler on Agholor/Smith. Chung on Ertz. We do that and we likely win the friggin game. We got torched. Patrick Chung covering Nelson Agholor. How was that ever supposed to work?

This was a sh*t show of epic proportions
Many a people came up with this matchup in the weeks before the game.

Read what Giardi or Thornton wrote about it.

You remember how a ****ton of people on this board flipped out when Gilmore had issues with blowing coverages ?

How many as obvious blown coverages in the defensive backfield do you remember on Sunday ? There were a lot of issue with fundamental football but -- apart Richards being the idiot that he is and taking the cheese -- there were no big plays due to blown coverages. The issues were mostly not schematic but players not finishing or making plays. The defense put the Eagles often enough in third & long situations to think that the basic gameplan was not a total turd. The issue came on those third downs where they could not stop a nosebleed which voided anything positive about how they played a lot of the early downs.

Now I have said it multiple times.. personally I would have put Butler in during the middle of the third quarter after Bademosi missed his tackle because at that point it was clear that the issue in this game was poor fundamentals and if Butler had his head in the right space after sitting out the first two quarters he might have been able to help. But then again I am a different person than BB and he has his principles that he adheres to.

Exactly what I figured. Butler checked out.

BB 100% did the right thing.

Yes, but the offense lost SBs42 and 46. Imagine if Brady played like that in those SBs, instead of no points barely any for full halves?

Last time i remembered he gave his team the lead in 42 and his defense couldn't get a big stop. He also made a throw to welker who dropped it. Brady carried that team in 2011 with a crappy defense.

Because IBWT. And we take him and

Many a people came up with this matchup in the weeks before the game.

I was one of them and people were mostly saying Gilmore on Jeffery, but Agoholor was their best WR.

I said Butler on Torrey Smith since Smith was their weakest and "smallest" option. Butler needed help on top flight WRs like Antonio Brown. It's not a knock most good CBs do. Butler just isn't Gilmore level.

Many did NOT agree with me, nor did BB, and guess who was right?

When Jeffery runs like 4 routes and is only really a red zone threat, you don't put your best man CB on him.

I must have posted my gameplan a dozen times, repeating it over and over in mutliple threads, because I truly believed it was the one.

BB messed up. Sorry, he's the best ever, but he botched it.

The discipline/principle thing seems plainly to be a poor move, if that's what actually went down. As you say, if you're so principled that you're holding him out, you should be principled enough to make him inactive. If your principles end when a player gets hurt, then we're just talking about where an obviously movable line is, and that seems like an asinine place to draw it.
This is the problem I’m having with the posters talking about patriots way, principle this or that. The fact that they dress him means there was a point where they would be willing to overlook their principles according to those posters. If that is the case they are not principles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents