PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler as CB1 over Gilmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are giving Butler a free pass because of SB49. He has gotten beat a lot this year. I think he competes hard and makes a lot of heady and effort plays but he's not the better matchup against Julio Jones next week for example. I'm not saying he should be benched. I'm not saying I don't want him on this team. I simply don't agree that he's a #1 shutdown corner. Gilmore has the talent. It's still to be proven if he has the head to work within the system and make adjustments on the fly.

Gilmore blanketed mike Evans while butler got toasted by Robbie Anderson for a TD

There was another play where butler got beat deep by Anderson but mclown made an awful throw

The organization should acknowledge Gilmore isn't a CB1 and fix this.
- The Jets game reminded everyone of how Butler remains one of the most clutch big-play CB's in the league. The defense (especially McCourty) plays better with Butler as CB1
- Butler already made one pro bowl and narrowly missed on a second pro bowl
- Gilmore has some of the worst football / scheme awareness I've seen as a CB1. You can't rely on a corner who completely blows assignments or adjustments, it exposes your safeties
- Gilmore may arguably have superior physical gifts but in terms of awareness, intelligence, performing through adversity and delivering big plays, Malcolm Butler is a much better fit at CB1. This reminds me right now of a cornerback version scenario of Drew Henson v Brady at Michigan

No. This team needs Gilmore. Did you forget what he did against Evans? Now he gets to do it next week against Julio Jones should he play.

Final score 24-17

If you wanna get technical the final really should of been 31-17 if PI gets called when Gronk was smothered at the 1yrd line which would of put us at first and goal at the 1

The score should have been 31-24, maybe even 27-24.

Butler is gone after this year. Get to grips with it.

The moment he rejected the contract extension he signed his ticket out of New England.

I think they like him and they will revisit signing him but like Hightower they will let him test the market. If his offers go over 12 per they will bow out.

Last edited:
Who cares about passing yards? As long as they don't equal to points... our defense held them to 7 in the first quarter, 7 in the second quarter and only 3 in the enitre second half and thats without Gilmore and Rowe impressive imo

Holding the jets to 17 is NOT impressive IMO.

Honestly, I hesitate to post anything Defense related on here because there are like two or three Homers who call everything a Hot Take or blah blah blah but the truth is...

Without that TD reversal, this defense effectively would have given the JETS not only a 300 yard game, but 24 points, with six games in already, it doesn't matter who's CB1 this D is absolutely terrible and I'm starting to doubt the ship will be set straight this year.

I'm not even going to touch the Gilmore issue, some people on here lose their ever loving minds whenever Gilmore is called out for what he is.

Yeah that was still by no means good defense yesterday, but it wasn't what we had previously seen either. It's not saying much, since they were trending in the direction of the worst defense of all time, but they have improved. I'm still waiting to see what they look like at the end of October/beginning of November before I begin to write them off as a unit.

Yeah that was still by no means good defense yesterday, but it wasn't what we had previously seen either. It's not saying much, since they were trending in the direction of the worst defense of all time, but they have improved. I'm still waiting to see what they look like at the end of October/beginning of November before I begin to write them off as a unit.

I'm giving it a little more time to see who comes of IR and how that impacts the D.

I'm giving it a little more time to see who comes of IR and how that impacts the D.

I think in season trades could also be a big factor for them. The moves they made for Hicks and Ayers as well as Siliga proved vital to their SB run in 2014, and I’m hoping they can do the same this season.

People who are blaming Gilmore for the uncertainties of our defense need to realize that he did not play yesterday, and the Patriots still had communication breakdowns and gave up big plays.

The problems are deeper than him. Let's not be too quick to crap on him, especially since he's trending upwards.

Butler is gone after this year. Get to grips with it.

The moment he rejected the contract extension he signed his ticket out of New England.
While I could see it playing out this way, I don't necessarily agree with your contention that Butler's departure is inevitable. Belichick has been known to make surprising personnel moves. Heal also knows what he has in both players and has shown that he's not affraid to cut his losses when he makes a mistake so no I dont think it's something one needs to come to grips with quite yet.

Last edited:
This secondary will get better and they have a chance to silence the critics next Sunday night.

Holding the jets to 17 is NOT impressive IMO.

In 2016 at the Jets stadium we won 22-17, in 2015 our first game against (Before the injuries ruined the perfect season run) we won 30-23 a season where we go 19-0 if the injury bug doesn't hit (Edelman/Lewis) Jets games are usually tight

Hoping for a Quick recovery for Gilmore and Rowe.

The game wasn't on down here in New Orleans, so this is just speculation, but there is 1 stat that sticks out and that is that the Jete had 47 pass attempts. It's hard to keep a team under 300 yards when you're launching it that many times. But its also hard to win being so one dimensional. 3 straight 7-9 Saint years have taught me that much at least.

As well, after this week, there is not a single team in the NFL that can say they're dominate. Pittsburgh handled KC pretty well until the 4th quarter last night. Denver and Oakland have issues. Atlanta can't hold a lead. Poor Green Bay losing Rogers.

The Jete are playing well this year, it was an away game, and its their superbowl. We won.

I'll take that.

Now I just gotta watch the replay on NFL Network

I think they like him and they will revisit signing him but like Hightower they will let him test the market. If his offers go over 12 per they will bow out.

That was last year. They signed Gilmore. Unless something extraordinary happens like a late catastrophic injury to Gilmore that door is closed.

I agree. And the league seems to think that Pats players are overrated now and i doubt they will overpay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes