PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mahomes' media love for incomplete passes

The GOAT discussion since 2014:

Brady can’t be the GOAT, he has 3 SB’s, Montana has 4.

Wins SB 49, SB MVP.

Brady can’t be the GOAT, he’s 4-2 in the SB, Montana was a perfect 4-0.

Wins SB 51. Ok, Brady’s the GOAT.

Beginning of the next season: “Is Brady the GOAT?”

Wins MVP, has 500+ yards/3 TD’s in the SB.

Beginning of the next season: “No, but really, is Brady the GOAT?”

Wins SB number 6, beats Mahomes away to reach it.

Beginning of the next season: “But actually, is Brady the GOAT?”

Goes to a different team, wins SB number 7, wins SB MVP, beats Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes.

Brady had to win at least 5 SB’s to surpass Montana.

Rodgers and Mahomes have jumped over Montana, Manning, etc simply based on the fact they play in Brady’s era so the media has been putting them into discussions they have no place being. And of course, the horrendous mistake people make to confuse athleticism with talent. Because we all know Vince Carter was more “talented” than Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki.

You know how sad and pathetic it’s become when incomplete passes are the latest attempt to make a Brady contemporary into a hero who gave his all but his poor, 14-2, defending champion team that was a favorite going in, suddenly became a weak team with only savior Mahomes trying, hen Brady and his team beat it.

If the fawning over the incomplete passes is insufferable, just imagine if he had won! There would have never been an end to it.

iu

Wins SB 49, SB MVP.

Goes to a different team, wins SB number 7, wins SB MVP, beats Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes.

Rodgers and Mahomes have jumped over Montana, Manning, etc simply based on the fact they play in Brady’s era so the media has been putting them into discussions they have no place being. And of course, the horrendous mistake people make to confuse athleticism with talent. Because we all know Vince Carter was more “talented” than Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki.

You know how sad and pathetic it’s become when incomplete passes are the latest attempt to make a Brady contemporary into a hero who gave his all but his poor, 14-2, defending champion team that was a favorite going in, suddenly became a weak team with only savior Mahomes trying, hen Brady and his team beat it.

If the fawning over the incomplete passes is insufferable, just imagine if he had won! There would have never been an end to it.
The media have never wanted to give Brady credit. At first, he was a game manager. Then it was he’s one of but not the best in the league. Then, he’s the most successful, but Manning is the best. Then it was Brady has won the most, but Rodgers is the best in the league. Then Mahomes is the best. At no point have the mediots ever wanted to give that honor to Brady.

As for best all time, they all came up with excuses denying him that only to finally reluctantly accept it without saying too much about it. Brady keeps reinforcing it much to their chagrin.

Why this is the case is a much longer discussion. Worthy of its own thread and way more than I care to type late on a Saturday night. Somebody should write a book about it.

Last edited:

Wins SB 49, SB MVP.

You make a good point. Where is the respect for guys like Montana or Staubach? Why do Rodgers and Mahomes get to just walk right past them as if they don't exist and get debated against Brady. Is Montana unworthy of being in the debate for second best all time for some reason?

Was he not clutch enough? Were his stats not good enough? Did he not have enough talent? Was his eye test bad? Did he not win enough? Where the hell is the respect for what he accomplished that he is an afterthought and not even worthy of being considered good enough to compare against Rodgers and Mahomes?

You make a good point. Where is the respect for guys like Montana or Staubach? Why do Rodgers and Mahomes get to just walk right past them as if they don't exist and get debated against Brady. Is Montana unworthy of being in the debate for second best all time for some reason?

Was he not clutch enough? Were his stats not good enough? Did he not have enough talent? Was his eye test bad? Did he not win enough? Where the hell is the respect for what he accomplished that he is an afterthought and not even worthy of being considered good enough to compare against Rodgers and Mahomes?
  • Recency bias
  • A need for the media to have things to talk about a/k/a the 24 hour sports channel cycle
  • Sheer stupidity

The goalposts always move, because the story must always continue. And they often move in a nonsensical matter, because the people pushing the narratives are largely clueless.

Mahomes made some unreal desperation throws that his receiver td usually seem to come down with. But not last subday

He’s lucky Devin White didn’t intercept his “greatest throw ever!!!!”

My biggest take away from the game is how we were all correct in saying wait to see how Mahomes looks when he does not have an all star team around him. We got a little preview of that with his Oline being injured and him having to face a legit defense. He basically went into panic mode. All of his scrambles didn't work this time. His hero balls fell incomplete or were picked.

Wait until he does not have Hill and Kelce. I think we may be looking at one of the biggest drops in NFL history just because he has been built up so much.

My biggest take away from the game is how we were all correct in saying wait to see how Mahomes looks when he does not have an all star team around him. We got a little preview of that with his Oline being injured and him having to face a legit defense. He basically went into panic mode. All of his scrambles didn't work this time. His hero balls fell incomplete or were picked.

Wait until he does not have Hill and Kelce. I think we may be looking at one of the biggest drops in NFL history just because he has been built up so much.

You could say the same for basically every other good quarterback in the league. Play 18 games with your starting LT and lose him for the last game of the season (especially against that Tampa front), most quarterbacks are going to have a hard time with that. Mahomes also had a dinged foot which was clearly affecting his mobility.

He played an impressive game, IMO, when considering the defense he was playing against. He made some extremely accurate throws that were dropped. He's a darn good player. Acknowledging that isn't any slight on Brady and his achievements.

You could say the same for basically every other good quarterback in the league. Play 18 games with your starting LT and lose him for the last game of the season (especially against that Tampa front), most quarterbacks are going to have a hard time with that.
Exactly my point. It is true of every Qb. The media does not believe it is true of Mahomes. Some predicted a blow out by the Chiefs solely because of Mahomes even with the hurt toe and the incredible mismatch on both lines.

Last edited:
I think it goes both ways here. There are some who went overboard praising his play and circus like throws and there were others who went the other way to say how awful he was. The former have a lot of people in the camp of wanting the changing of the guard narrative and the latter have a lot of people who want to show he will never be Brady.

In my opinion was that Mahomes played far better than his stats line and scoreboard indicated. The guy was on the run on almost every play.

And I can give him credit for making a throw on target 15-20 yards down the field while in the air diving to the ground even if the receiver didn't get it. But because the receiver didn't catch the ball. So it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Mahomes may be the most talented player to ever play the QB position. Being the most talented doesn't necessarily mean he is the best ever though. But I can appreciate some of the things he does on the field that virtually no other QB can do.

Mahomes is the best player in the NFL right now. That isn't really isn't in dispute. I don't get why people get so upset about the media kissing his ass. Brady got similar treatment for years or decades. If I had a nickel for every time one of my non-Pats fan friends and family members complained about the media pumping up Brady for trivial things, I would be a millionaire.

Am I the only one sick of

Why are you repeatedly exposing yourself to something that's making you sick?
I'd suggest that when something is making you sick is to avoid it. Certainly not to pursue it.

Call me old fashioned but i’m not a Mahomes fan in the slightest. I’m not a fan of dual QB’s nor QB’s that can’t wait to escape the pocket and throw on the run. I prefer Brady, Manning, Montana, methodical pocket passers that can dissect a defense without needing to somersault into a behind the back triple fake lateral.

My point was that the game was so one-sided, any future GOAT debate crashed and burned forever so there’s nothing else to discuss except Mahomes’ gymnastics.

Imagine if the Chiefs won, there would dynasty talks, Mahomes GOAT talks, passing of the torch talks, whether Tampa was right to bet it all on Brady, whether Andy Reid is a GOAT contender, and 50 other topics.

But fortunately, the Chiefs got blown away and the two initial things, Tampa’s defensive performance and Brady’s cementing his GOAT status for the 50th time got old in about two days.

How did this post not get fifty winners?

I think it goes both ways here. There are some who went overboard praising his play and circus like throws and there were others who went the other way to say how awful he was. The former have a lot of people in the camp of wanting the changing of the guard narrative and the latter have a lot of people who want to show he will never be Brady.

In my opinion was that Mahomes played far better than his stats line and scoreboard indicated. The guy was on the run on almost every play.

And I can give him credit for making a throw on target 15-20 yards down the field while in the air diving to the ground even if the receiver didn't get it. But because the receiver didn't catch the ball. So it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Mahomes may be the most talented player to ever play the QB position. Being the most talented doesn't necessarily mean he is the best ever though. But I can appreciate some of the things he does on the field that virtually no other QB can do.

Mahomes is the best player in the NFL right now. That isn't really isn't in dispute. I don't get why people get so upset about the media kissing his ass. Brady got similar treatment for years or decades. If I had a nickel for every time one of my non-Pats fan friends and family members complained about the media pumping up Brady for trivial things, I would be a millionaire.
I disagree with virtually everything here.

It doesn't go both ways. He had 120 yards, with 0-1 TD/INT before the 4th quarter, before he build up the garbage stats. Those are almost the identical stats he had last year before the 4th. 145 yards, 17-27 0-1 TD/INT. Then he threw another pick, but Shanahan and Jimmy G completely bottled the game. The Chiefs and Mahomes were just as outmatched as they were on Sunday. No QB in history apart from Rodgers would have people defending these performances. And what does those two have in common? Those are the two contemporaries of Brady that people are DESPERATE to make them surpass him. People may have a short memory but before the Packers Pats game 3 years ago, the NFL called Michael Jordan to make an intro where the game was billed who's the GOAT, and the winner would somehow be it. A regular season game. Of course, when Brady easily outplayed him, it was forgotten as soon as it finished. If the Packers won, it would have been a bigger win than Brady's 5 SB's until that point.

His QBR in both his SB appearances is worse than every Brady SB appearance except SB 53. He has 2 TD's/4 INT in 2 games. Brady has 6 INT in 10 games.

No one needs to attack Mahomes' to ''show he will never be Brady''. His awful play in both Super Bowl's is doing a fine work by itself.

Mahomes was ranked 4th by PFF, 3rd by NFL.com panel at the end of the season QB ranking. He was behind Rodgers and Brady in both, and he got dusted by Brady in the SB. So yes, being the best player in the league is certainly in dispute. He's not better than Rodgers and Brady. You could prefer him based on age, but at the end of the day, a 43 year old Brady, in a new team, had a similar statistical season to a 25 year old Mahomes, and went on to win the SB. Like he always does.

Last edited:
I disagree with virtually everything here.

It doesn't go both ways. He had 120 yards, with 0-1 TD/INT before the 4th quarter, before he build up the garbage stats. Those are almost the identical stats he had last year before the 4th. 145 yards, 17-27 0-1 TD/INT. Then he threw another pick, but Shanahan and Jimmy G completely bottled the game. The Chiefs and Mahomes were just as outmatched as they were on Sunday. No QB in history apart from Rodgers would have people defending these performances. And what does those two have in common? Those are the two contemporaries of Brady that people are DESPERATE to make them surpass him. People may have a short memory but before the Packers Pats game 3 years ago, the NFL called Michael Jordan to make an intro where the game was billed who's the GOAT, and the winner would somehow be it. A regular season game. Of course, when Brady easily outplayed him, it was forgotten as soon as it finished. If the Packers won, it would have been a bigger win than Brady's 5 SB's until that point.

His QBR in both his SB appearances is worse than every Brady SB appearance except SB 53. He has 2 TD's/4 INT in 2 games. Brady has 6 INT in 10 games.

No one needs to attack Mahomes' to ''show he will never be Brady''. His awful play in both Super Bowl's is doing a fine work by itself.

Mahomes was ranked 4th by PFF, 3rd by NFL.com panel at the end of the season QB ranking. He was behind Rodgers and Brady in both, and he got dusted by Brady in the SB. So yes, being the best player in the league is certainly in dispute. He's not better than Rodgers and Brady. You could prefer him based on age, but at the end of the day, a 43 year old Brady, in a new team, had a similar statistical season to a 25 year old Mahomes, and went on to win the SB. Like he always does.
This may be the one of the best posts on this forum.

Brady is the GOAT. That debate is over. And because he's playing into his mid-40's, he's the GOAT in a way that will be even harder for anyone to catch. It's got to be daunting for someone like Mahomes to realize he's going to have to win every third SB for the next 20 years to even be in the conversation, if that's his goal.

Brady still wins with his head and a + arm. It's amazing. Time-defying. He sees it, reads it, beats it.

Okay, now quit worrying about the hot takes. No matter how you want to slice it, that throw by Mahomes was inhuman, superhuman. You can't do that! The play before it, where he was spun around and launched tot he corner of the end-zone, reminded me of Russell Wilson. Physically gifted, sure. But the 29-yard horizontal throw just is unbelievable.

Physically, Mahomes is doing things we've never seen before, and it's fun as hell to watch. That doesn't make him the GOAT. Jackie Bradley Jr. made a play I'd have never thought possible when I was at Fenway years ago. He leaped right into the left-center wall, where the Green Monster drops, made an incredible catch, AND bounced off perfectly, in balance, and let fly as he landed, a perfect one-hopper to cut down the runner at first who was rushing to get back to the bag.

Unbelievable. A joy to watch.

Bradley can also throw the ball over the center field triangle at Fenway from the batter's box.

He physically does things that seem superhuman.

He's not the GOAT - not even sure the Sox will keep him in FA.

GOAT is settled in the NFL. It's Brady. He's got more rings than any NFL franchise, and mosr SB MVP's than any player has rings other than Charles Haley. He's had THREE HoF careers.

Most of us will likely be long dead before anyone seriously challenges Brady's status.

Okay? It's settled. Everyone knows it's settled. The NFL is a business and Brady won't be around much longer. And when he's gone, they need "faces" to rise to the top. Mahomes will be primary in that group right now.

And he's fun as hell to watch.

as a certain Brazilian once said, the quarterback can't also catch the ball. Those were amazing throws. and they're about the only thing those who refuse to give the GOAT his due can talk about so we'll be hearing about them for awhile

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back