PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac was playing hurt or he hit rookie wall

Pats2000

In the Starting Line-Up
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I was watching this collection of Mac's throws through the year and it became obvious his throw started losing velocity during the Titans game and got worse through the end of the year, where he was really throwing only high arcing floaters in that Buffalo game.

So I think he either hit a rookie wall and his arm just got tired from a 17 game season or he was playing hurt. I'm leaning towards hurt because he got hit so much this year. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Mac did look stronger early. I noticed a little more use of Jonnu Smith on seams too.

"So I think he either hit a rookie wall and his arm just got tired from a 17 game season or he was playing hurt."

Yes.

he was doing well for the first dozen games...

then comes december and clank... kinda coincides with the average 12 game college season he played in (11 & 13, respectively)... but correlation is not causation...

Could he have hit a rookie wall? Sure - dead arm, combined with being banged up from all the hits he took, took their toll... but I don't think he was ever truly hurt beyond "banged up" this season... needs to add some weight this off season, absorb the pounding a bit better...

Mac was absolutely lit up by defenders a number of times this season. Getting stronger means you can absorb those hits over 17 games. I think that’s what we will see over the next few months.

Probably a combination of things. He did take a beating while the ol struggled early. Plus The team overall didn’t play very well after the buffalo win aside from jax, thats also the game where mac played great again too. Qbs on losing teams tend to play worse

Maybe his arm got tired.

Mac never had any serious weapons at receivers.

Jimmy Stewart’s from the Felger and Mazz show sources said Jones was playing with a sprained AC joint in his throwing shoulder.

Nearly everyone is banged up by the end of the year. People need to slow down and just take the middle road with Mac.

1. He had a terrifc overall rookie year.
  2. If he continues to progress the way Burrow, Allen and others have he'll be a top 5 QB in the league.
  3. If he only has a small growth left he's Cousins or some other middle of the pack QB.
  4. Other than RB which is above average to excellent his skill position weapons are severely below average. Imagine swapping Agholor for Chase.
  5. I hope he takes to the Brady routine of improving his core and strength along with working with a mechanics guy like Tom House. People don't realize but the difference between the average arm strength to a strong arm is only a few MPH. If he can get more consistent mechanics, drive through the throw more and add a couple of miles per hour that's going to do a lot for him.
  6. I loved his fight in the Buffalo game. Far from perfect but the cold didn't affect him and he never gave up.

Personally I'm in the camp that he'll continue to improve and become a top QB. But we'll see. It's certainly not ensured. I think fans and media alike are putting TB12 the finished product expectations on him year one. TB12 has improved everyone of his 21 seasons in some way. 2% every year goes a long way.

I was watching this collection of Mac's throws through the year and it became obvious his throw started losing velocity during the Titans game and got worse through the end of the year, where he was really throwing only high arcing floaters in that Buffalo game.

So I think he either hit a rookie wall and his arm just got tired from a 17 game season or he was playing hurt. I'm leaning towards hurt because he got hit so much this year. Discuss amongst yourselves.

I don’t see it.
All looks the same to me. You are conflating different types of throws. A 30 yard sideline throw is going to have a higher trajectory than a 9 yard throw over the middle.
Other than one bad game his numbers were as good at the end of the season as any other part.

Nobody knows. But one way or another we will not be at another SB in this decade. Why ? BB is guilty of an unforgivable sin.

[SA Smith video]
How is belichick guilty of the “unforgivable” sin of Mike Reiss looking at film and saying Jackson played like crap?

How is belichick guilty of the “unforgivable” sin of Mike Reiss looking at film and saying Jackson played like crap?
there is a video above Reiss piece . SA Smith comments on BB / TB relationship.

there is a video above Reiss piece . SA Smith comments on BB / TB relationship.
I’m not going to watch Steven A Smith or put any credence into anything he spews.

Last edited:
I’m not going to watch Steven A Smith or out any credence into anything he spews.
Well, I'll say it with my words: If you have the GOAT QB you live and die with the GOAT. If you dont, thats an unforgivable sin.

I would add that the second unforgivable sin is on RK: if you have to choose between the GOAT QB and the (maybe) GOAT coach, it should be a no brainer.

Well, I'll say it with my words: If you have the GOAT QB you live and die with the GOAT. If you dont, thats an unforgivable sin.

I would add that the second unforgivable sin is on RK: if you have to choose between the GOAT QB and the (maybe) GOAT coach, it should be a no brainer.
Brady leaving was best for the patriots.
Did you watch the second half of 2019. Brady’s numbers were horrible. He was 43.
There was no cap room to improve the team with and 2020 would have been worse than 2019.
Then there would have been 50 million less to rebuild with in 2021 so not much improvement there and you are rebuilding with a 45 year old QB with a 25 mill cap hit.
Brady’s says we’re ending. Him walking away ( his choice) was better in the long run for this franchise than keeping him and delaying the rebuild 3-4 more years while winning nothing.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back