PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac or Zach?

Wilson is the much more talented QB but plays for the worse org by a country mile. So hard to answer.
Talent is good but can only do so much for a player.

Reminds me of reading this reddit thread. Lots of Mike Vick answers. A guy who wouldn't even be in the Hall of Very Good career wise.

Im not seeing what other Patriots fans are seeing.

Mac looks slow, tentative and there isnt that much velocity on the ball. Yesterday, Mac threw a couple of wounded ducks that will be INTs if those risky throws continue.

To get a true and accurate picture, I want to see an opposing defense stop or slow down the NE run game to force Mac to win the game. Or, the opposing offense, jumping out to a lead by a couple of scores lead thereby forcing NE into throwing to get back in the game.
I do not own rose colored glasses and do not wish to borrow yours.
He's trolling now and is gone from this thread.

PSA: Clodhopper has left the building.

As long as the Jets continue this tradition of having p*ss poor o-lines, they may ruin yet another QB. Wilson didn't help the line much at some points like the play where he held onto the ball for almost ten seconds. But if he is going to be sacked 5-6 times a game, he will never develop into a good QB. I know it is only one game, but the Jets line has to improve exponentially.

It is too early to tell who will be better. Both show signs of the ability to be excellent QBs. Who knows? Wilson has the physical ability to be the better QB, but Jones seems to have the intangibles - smarts, dedication, drive, confidence, etc. to be better. I guess it will come down to will God given talents win out over work effort and intangibles (not saying Wilson isn't a hard worker, but Jones seems to have a drive that only a handful of QBs have).

Im not seeing what other Patriots fans are seeing.

Mac looks slow, tentative and there isnt that much velocity on the ball. Yesterday, Mac threw a couple of wounded ducks that will be INTs if those risky throws continue.

To get a true and accurate picture, I want to see an opposing defense stop or slow down the NE run game to force Mac to win the game. Or, the opposing offense, jumping out to a lead by a couple of scores lead thereby forcing NE into throwing to get back in the game.

Jones only threw one pass that could have been intercepted. I didn't see any wounded ducks. Sorry, but I think you are seeing what you want to see.

From Peter Kings' Monday column today (not that King is the be all and end all on this stuff and probably far from it, but he is an unbiased observer):

New England QB Mac Jones. Good for a debut, for sure, with only one turnover-worthy play in 75 snaps. The yards-per-attempt, 7.9, is big time.

• Jacksonville QB Trevor Lawrence. A mixed bag, but not good overall. Only 59.6 percent of throws were catchable, and he had four turnover-worthy plays.

Jets QB Zach Wilson. A nice debut overall, though he didn’t get much help with six sacks taken and pressured consistently. He did hold the ball too long a few times, including a bizarre 9.22-second hold just trying to make something happen. Three big-time throws (a PFF stat), three turnover-worthy plays, five drops.

Jones only threw one pass that could have been intercepted. I didn't see any wounded ducks. Sorry, but I think you are seeing what you want to see.

From Peter Kings' Monday column today (not that King is the be all and end all on this stuff and probably far from it, but he is an unbiased observer):

New England QB Mac Jones. Good for a debut, for sure, with only one turnover-worthy play in 75 snaps. The yards-per-attempt, 7.9, is big time.

• Jacksonville QB Trevor Lawrence. A mixed bag, but not good overall. Only 59.6 percent of throws were catchable, and he had four turnover-worthy plays.

Jets QB Zach Wilson. A nice debut overall, though he didn’t get much help with six sacks taken and pressured consistently. He did hold the ball too long a few times, including a bizarre 9.22-second hold just trying to make something happen. Three big-time throws (a PFF stat), three turnover-worthy plays, five drops.

Good points though if you rank them by performance (Mac - Zach - Trevor) you've also ranked them by how bad the guys around them are. We've huffed and puffed about the Pats roster the past couple years but the stink of the Jags is on another level, which is truly mind-boggling when you consider they just played the Pats tight in the AFCCG 3-ish years ago.

Good points though if you rank them by performance (Mac - Zach - Trevor) you've also ranked them by how bad the guys around them are. We've huffed and puffed about the Pats roster the past couple years but the stink of the Jags is on another level, which is truly mind-boggling when you consider they just played the Pats tight in the AFCCG 3-ish years ago.
The only starter left on that defense is Jack. The rest are gone.

And supposedly the team is already turning on Urban Meyer after only one game. The Jags are primed for an epic implosion.

Obviously going off one game you have to say Mac but we really obviously won't know. I kinda hope they both end up being top QBs for a long time, I really miss the QB rivalry of Brady and Manning and though nothing will ever come close I'm hoping we can get a bit of a rivalry between these two

Obviously going off one game you have to say Mac but we really obviously won't know. I kinda hope they both end up being top QBs for a long time, I really miss the QB rivalry of Brady and Manning and though nothing will ever come close I'm hoping we can get a bit of a rivalry between these two
It'll be tough to have another Brady/Manning type rivalry in football.

Two clear best QB's in the league
Best teams
Same conference

Can't believe the Jets will be good until it happens. They've been so bad for so long.

What I was yesterday from Jones was a QB that can make all the necessary throws. True, he can't throw a 40 yard rope while scrambling left, but how often is that needed? 4-5 times per season? He threw some deep outs with authority, completed an incredible wheel route to White, and made a number of completions under extreme pressure. He passed the test in terms of arm talent.

Another thing I noticed is he not only moves well in the pocket, but is much better outside the pocket that I realized. That rollout to the right where he hit Bourne downfield (which came back due to penalty) showed terrific athleticism. He looks better than Brady ever was in that department.

Then you throw in the intangibles from yesterday's game, and his 75% accuracy which were not all dink & dunk by any stretch, against one of the better defenses in the league, and we have the makings of a star.

I honestly like what I saw from Wilson today, but I prefer Mac’s style. Unless you can really dominate like Mahomes or Rodgers, all that running around and wrist flicking bombs usually leads to more problems. What I liked from Wilson was his more 7-10 yard passes into tight coverages. If you can’t hit those consistently, the rest of the field won’t open up.

I do think, with near certainty, the Jets will wreck Wilson. All the scouts said he needs a year because he’s raw…so the Jets throw him out there with crappy blocking.

I’m a strong believer in the pocket, and staying in the pocket, to be able to make any pass, rather than running your way into a limited downfield area of vision…and a quarterback who can hang there also helps offensive linemen with their assignments.

But doing that requires so much skill. Being an outstanding pocket QB is incredibly difficult…the footwork and mechanics required to master it are subtle but probably harder to achieve than a scrambler’s athleticism.

So, I’d take Mac if I could have either.

Hey Rob - I'm with you .. thought Mac played a great game yesterday. Quick question on the pass that could have been intercepted - are you referring to the one over the middle to Meyers that got he tipped and then prevented from being intercepted? If that's the one, it absolutely could've been intercepted, but after watching the replay a bunch of times, it was a great pass. Looks like Meyer sat down into what he thought was a soft spot, but had he continued running it was dead on and was another great pass by the rookie. I'm so excited about this kid.

You're asking the wrong person. I've been calling for Mac since last October and think he's the second coming. Taking him as the 5th QB at #15 without trading up at all is just icing on the cake.
What a load of sh.t

So value for your dollar? It's only week 1, but yes... I agree. At 15, NE as of now has won.

DropKickOrdway is completely full of crap, he has been Cam Newton’s biggest supporter, and once again pretends he has been Jones biggest fan. I have literally never seen anyone as full of crap as he is.

Zac took 6 sacks.
Mac took 9 hits.
Expect a lot of blitzing on both sides.

Mac destroyed blitzes this week but his body may not hold up all year taking all these hits.
Patriots have 2 TEs but the oc has no idea how to use both at the same time.
Can we trade Josh to the Jets? Please

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back