PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac on Monday Night

Umm how did they protect him exactly? Again you are guessing on something that never happened based on nothing. lol. Oh they would have because ummm...yeah...There was never a game they had brady go out there hand off 50 times. I am not even sure why Brady is even brought up here. Brady and Mac are different QB's, people need to be ok with that and stop acting like they are and do the same things.

just responding to a post that asked "do they do that if they have tom brady"

in my opinion, yes, if they had tom brady circa 2001-2002, under those circumstances, with the game unfolding the way it did, it turns out very similar

if they had tom brady 2021 last night? they might throw a few more times.......

i also question if the coaching staff of 2001/2002 had the fortitude to stick to a gameplan like that to make it work......the way things played out last night was more about the coaching staff than it was about WHO was throwing the ball (or not throwing, as the case may be)

i also think if there's any two QBs who can really handle only throwing 3 times in a game and be happy with the win, it'd be tom and mac.......they are cut from the same cloth and both played for the right organization......

In retrospect I honestly think that if they were only going to throw 3 times they could have used Stidham. Point is he can run and been used in legitimate RPO's.
He's the 3rd string QB, drive it like you stole it until the wheels come off. lol

I think BB made it clear in his press conferences that it was *not* the game plan to never pass, but rather it was how they responded to the game situation and conditions. They decided they didn't need to take risks passing in the windy conditions because they were winning running the ball effectively and shutting down Buffalo's offense. Of course they would have passed if they had fallen behind and they had plans how to do so.

oh, i agree........the gameplan was run heavy for sure (the way they ran last night, with the multiple, multiple blocking schemes they ran, run heavy was CLEARLY the game plan

i don't think 3 attempts had a ton to do with WHO the QB was, but simply who the coaching staff is, and that all they vare about is getting the W, and probably more so than any other coach in history, BB maximizes the chances for a win via gameplanning

Stats are for losers.

NE 14 - BUF 10
Did you even read my post? Where did I say I wanted stats? Oh spoiler alert: NOWHERE. Everything about my post was about the only thing that matters: Winning the game.

We ended up winning anyway but as I said the Bills were one play away from winning the game. One blown coverage, one freak slip on a frozen turf, one amazing catch by Diggs and the Bills win.

My post was making the argument if we throw the ball we improved our odds of winning because it'd be easier to move the ball, open up the run game a bit more, score more points, maybe get a 2 score lead and not have to rely on luck and the defense holding the Bills to 3, without really increasing our risk that much at all. Nowhere did I say "I mean, yeah we won and all but Jesus I needed more fantasy points!"

Did you even read my post? Where did I say I wanted stats? Oh spoiler alert: NOWHERE. Everything about my post was about the only thing that matters: Winning the game.

We ended up winning anyway but as I said the Bills were one play away from winning the game. One blown coverage, one freak slip on a frozen turf, one amazing catch by Diggs and the Bills win.

My post was making the argument if we throw the ball we improved our odds of winning because it'd be easier to move the ball, open up the run game a bit more, score more points, maybe get a 2 score lead and not have to rely on luck and the defense holding the Bills to 3, without really increasing our risk that much at all. Nowhere did I say "I mean, yeah we won and all but Jesus I needed more fantasy points!"
Chill dude. I was making a general comment. I don’t know how long you’ve been on patsfans, but there are a LOT of « why aren’t the WRs getting Madden stats » types here.

I’m just joking around and not aiming at you in particular.

Chill dude. I was making a general comment. I don’t know how long you’ve been on patsfans, but there are a LOT of « why aren’t the WRs getting Madden stats » types here.

I’m just joking around and not aiming at you in particular.
Sorry. lol. Didn't get much sleep last night.

No question they should have thrown more when they had the wind in the 2nd & 4th quarters, after Mac got acclimated. Short stuff would've worked and probably gotten us a TD instead of FG in the 2nd qtr. The ball wasn't wet and the temp was 35.

I get that BB doesn't want mistakes, but at this point Mac is no longer a rookie, he's a competent starter who's seen a lot. Take off the training wheels.

He didn't play to win against Philly by letting Butler rot on the bench when his secondary was getting shredded.
What does Butler say about it........exactly.

These threads are the best man

Just saw a clip on twitter which showed that the Pats were running the same play over and over.. Owenu, Smith on the same side, sometimes on the right and sometimes on the left.. usually with Harry leading the way. A well coached team should have seen this and made adjustments, however Mc Dermott was too busy tantrumming.

It was genius to have Owenu (31 snaps) essentially be a tight end in the run game.. very dumb for McDermott not to notice it and adjust.

If it was working that well, and the Pats knew it would work, why change it?? As much as when I watched the game I hoped Jones would mix in some passes, today I realize I was probably wrong.. and the Pats are 9 & 4....

I was certainly frustrated during the game. Having established the run game I wanted to see a few short play action passes that would get the receivers into open space. OTOH, for all the praise Mac has received for his touch passes, those wouldn't work in the wind. And that first pass of his sailed and was only saved by a spectacular catch. So I'll defer to the coaches whose record speaks for itself.

I thought both the crazy weather, and the incredible pregame hype of Mac dictated the game plan. Don't put it on the kid if we can win with the running game and defense. As someone on talk radio pointed out, if N'Keal Harry doesn't make that bone-headed play (OY! I was tempted to go on the dreaded game day thread and demand his immediate release from the team - c'mon man!), and the Pats don't get that ridiculous late-hit-out-of-bounds that wasn't penalty on Bryant, Buffalo potentially scores no points in that game. Unbelievable coaching and execution by the players, particularly running backs and D. Mac didn't make any mistakes (he wasn't given the opportunity), and now he has the bye to rest up and get ready for the final push. Unbelievable.

I thought both the crazy weather, and the incredible pregame hype of Mac dictated the game plan. Don't put it on the kid if we can win with the running game and defense. As someone on talk radio pointed out, if N'Keal Harry doesn't make that bone-headed play (OY! I was tempted to go on the dreaded game day thread and demand his immediate release from the team - c'mon man!), and the Pats don't get that ridiculous late-hit-out-of-bounds that wasn't penalty on Bryant, Buffalo potentially scores no points in that game. Unbelievable coaching and execution by the players, particularly running backs and D. Mac didn't make any mistakes (he wasn't given the opportunity), and now he has the bye to rest up and get ready for the final push. Unbelievable.
Well that and the Bills are top 3 in the league in pass defense.

And if Jackson picks off the pass earlier, the Pats score another touchdown.

The Pats didn't throw for 3 reasons:
Situation
Situation
Situation.

First situation: 1st Quarter, you're into the gale. Run, run, run, run...shorten the quarter. In the process, they get a breakaway touchdown AND a 2pt. conversion.

Second situation: You're winning, in a game where nobody's putting a bunch of points up absent big mistakes. You throw once and it almost gets away from you. So just keep with run. Keep softening them up.

Third situation: Bills receive instead of taking the wind in the 4th quarter. big mistake - they could have forced the Pats out of their game plan, because if the Bills had the wind in the 4th quarter, with easier passing potential and longer make-able field goals, the Pats would have had to try to put some points on the board in Q3. But they didn't, so the Pats played the 3rd quarter just like the first, likely confident they could turn it up in the 4th, with the wind, if they had to.

But they didn't have to, so they just stuck with the run.

The Bills ran 56 plays, the Pats 51.

The Bills stopped the clock 15 times with INCOMPLETIONS.
The Pats stopped the clock once. Once.

Well that and the Bills are top 3 in the league in pass defense.
We'll see if they still are after they play the champs this weekend - without Tre White.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back