PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones vs. the other rookie QBs

Don't be mad bc you were wrong, it happens. It's not a big deal but it helps to know what you're talking about. Fields played 8-10 ranked opponents during his time at OSU and played tougher defenses than the rest of the QB's in the class. That's not my opinion, it's facts.

Doesn't seem like you have a handle on this topic after talking about Fields size (even if you were comparing to Lawrence his "size" is fine. How many great 6'6 QB's have ever made it through the league?) and accuracy. Pretty well known to people who watch college ball that's he's played more than enough tough defenses and one of the more accurate QB's to ever play in college. And if you actually watched him in those 8-10 games he played ranked opponents he was very good. So bringing up "facts" is kind of weak when this is well known.

The Draft Network's Benjamin Solak noted that “Fields faced the toughest schedule of all CFB defenses by SP+’s metrics, including his four final games (Indiana, Northwestern, Clemson, Alabama) against top-15 defenses. No FBS quarterback drafted in the last 10 years has had a more difficult defensive schedule than Fields.”

"Fields was by far the most accurate quarterback of the five first-round signal-callers. (Note that this doesn’t mean Trevor Lawrence isn’t good just because his CPOE isn’t high. There are many other factors that make a good NFL quarterback, and CPOE is just one of them). In fact, Fields was the only quarterback to have a plus-10.0% or greater CPOE season in both 2019 and 2020 (minimum of 200 passes in both seasons)"
I’m not mad, just waiting for you to name to 8-10 ranked teams Fields played in 2019 and 2020 in the regular seasons.
You can’t name them because those games were never played! Or maybe you found some obscure analyst that ranked Illinois over Texas A&M ! Lol

If Fields has a good game against the Vikings I think he enters the rookie of the year conversation.

Jones has had a good year for a rookie. But he wll not be a top 10 qb and pats will never win a SB with him. He is very overrated

Remember the 6th round pick in the 2000 NFL draft of the NE Patriots?

Never say never! :thaman:

If Fields has a good game against the Vikings I think he enters the rookie of the year conversation.
Enters as a distant third.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Jones has had a good year for a rookie. But he wll not be a top 10 qb and pats will never win a SB with him. He is very overrated
In November of 2001 when Brady had just lost his 3rd game after throwing his 7th interception in 4 games I am sure you thought/said the same thing.

I’m not mad, just waiting for you to name to 8-10 ranked teams Fields played in 2019 and 2020 in the regular seasons.
You can’t name them because those games were never played! Or maybe you found some obscure analyst that ranked Illinois over Texas A&M ! Lol
I don't know why you're so upset? Or fixated on 2019 and 2020. My whole point was Fields faced plenty of "ranked" or top tier opponents. Off the top of my head ...
MSU
Clemson
Michigan
Wisconsin X2
PSU X2
Indiana
Northwestern

It was a small thing but one of the most important moments in last night’s game ( to me) was when they cut to the sidelines and showed McCourty and Hightower while Jones was bringing them back in the fourth quarter and the look, especially on McCourty’s face was one of complete confidence in Jones, The veteran leaders on this team believe in Jones, and that’s a hell of an accomplishment for a rookie QB looking to fill the shoes of the GOAT. They would see right through him if he was a pretender, but he’s not, and they know it. I won’t be surprised if McCourty decides to stick around for another year or two to see if he can get a ring with this team.

Imagine if the 49ers took Mac at 3, and then traded Jimmy to the Pats for a second rounder plus another pick. Mac would have been the day one starter in SF with a loaded roster and would be judged by how Jimmy would have been fairing with the Pats.

I think scheme and who drafts you, have as much to do with QB sucess as the talent the QB possesses.

I think the Pats would have the same record if they had either Jimmy or Lawrence at QB instead of Mac.
Imagine if the 49ers never traded the 12th overall pick a 3rd rounder and their next 2 years first round picks?

What a bizarre take. Trent Dilfer has won a Super Bowl. Brady wasn't exactly who he is today for his first title. Even if Mac never cracks the "top 10" QB group (I'd argue he's not that far from it already because there's not that many truly good QBs right now), he can still win a Super Bowl as an average guy. To prognosticate Mac can never win a title 2/3 of the way into his rookie year, in which he's having a very good rookie year, is just strange.

What a bizarre take. Trent Dilfer has won a Super Bowl. Brady wasn't exactly who he is today for his first title. Even if Mac never cracks the "top 10" QB group (I'd argue he's not that far from it already because there's not that many truly good QBs right now), he can still win a Super Bowl as an average guy. To prognosticate Mac can never win a title 2/3 of the way into his rookie year, in which he's having a very good rookie year, is just strange.
Consider the source. All of his takes are stupid

Mills might be the second best QB to come out of this draft. Everyone likes to excuse Lawrence for his play this year because he’s on a bad team, but Mills team isn’t much better. His numbers are pretty decent for a rookie QB.

Last edited:
Mills might be the second best QB to come out of this draft. Everyone likes to excuse Lawrence for his play this year because he’s on a bad team, but Mills team isn’t much better. His numbers are pretty decent for a rookie QB.
i actually liked mills. i feel he might have had the same level of success as mac if he were on the pats

i actually liked mills. i feel he might have had the same level of success as mac if he were on the pats
I didn't specifically mention Mills, but I think that the Pats would probably be around 6–7 or 7–6 if he had started Week 1.

tell me which games he won.

This response would make sense if Mac's situation was different than other quarterbacks, but it's not. They're all simply one player on an 11-person offense, and one player on a 45-53+ person overall roster.

Either all quarterbacks get credited with their respective team's victories, or none do.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back