PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones Tackle Attempt on Chandler Jones - There was no shot

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
I put these in another thread, but Jones did actually try to tackle him, but Chandler Jones has such ridiculously long arms, he had no shot:

1671558557155-png.48382

From there, there wasn't anyone even close enough to chase him down and make a play:

1671558609664-png.48383

There was no one close other than offensive linemen. If we were placing our hopes for Onwenu to chase him down, even if Jones had held him a little longer, obviously that's not likely. And there was no one, save for maybe Hunter Henry, who was even close enough speed-wise after that to stop it.

Again, the fact people are mad at Mac about this is a little unfair. I wouldn't have been mad at Brady back in the day either, because a QB's body isn't made for making a tackle and the risk of injury isn't worth it. If it's between your QB and a defensive end a the end of a game, something has clearly gone terribly bad enough where you deserve to lose. And that's - unfortunately - what happened :(

I just think getting worked up over this tackling attempt is so pointless because it's so far down the list of issues in this game. Meyers literally lateraled the ball directly to a Raiders player with 0 time on the clock in a tie game headed for overtime. The defense crapped it's pants at the end allowing the Raiders to march down, the refs blew the call on the TD, the special teams allowed another blocked punt in idiotic fashion, we had TDs wiped off the board due to clock/pre-snap management, Mac himself played poorly, etc, etc, etc. It seems so silly to zone in on the tackling attempt there.

There was no shot at all. You have a 260 lb DE running full force at a 220 lb QB standing still. Who in their right mind expects Mac to make that tackle?

Anyone expecting Mac to make that tackle clearly has never... Watched football? It's like the perfect mismatch. Chandler Jones not only has 40lb on him, but he isn't like a slow DT that is at risk of falling over if you screw up his running motion. It's a well-balanced monster coming in your direction.

Agreed, only if Mac had wrestling skills to be able to take him down

Even if he grabbed on to Chandler to slow him down he would have easily been able to hand it off/lateral it to one of the 3 raiders behind him, the closest patriot was a slow lineman

Chandler's day job is literally to run past/through 300 pound tackles and guards and push QBs into the dirt.

Kinda OT, I always thought Chandler looked slight for a DE, but he looks like an absolute giant in that first photo.

People were blaming Jones and not Meyers on Sunday for the TD. People said punters have no problem tackling returners. So why couldn't Jones. But 175lb Marcus Jones is a lot easier to bring down 260lb Chandler Jones.

Mac made an awful attempt on the tackle and he's getting ripped for it by some media outlets. However, the coaching staff is mostly to blame for blatantly ill-advised play-call. There were two options there: hail mary or kneel down. Any type of run play should not have been a consideration. So more than any player, I'm blaming the coaching staff for this play.

I thought Tyquan had a chance to track him down but he was as stunned as everyone else. He stopped running.

This sums up the play:

Mac made an awful attempt on the tackle
For crying out loud - look at the first photo, which I froze because all the other shots were Jones on the ground, with people basically saying he went to his knees, which wasn't the case. What do you seriously expect him to do? He squared up - as best he could - and tried to go in low on him. But Chandler Jones's stupidly long arm never let him get close, and he's significantly stronger.

He had. No. Chance.

I put these in another thread, but Jones did actually try to tackle him, but Chandler Jones has such ridiculously long arms, he had no shot:

1671558557155-png.48382

From there, there wasn't anyone even close enough to chase him down and make a play:

1671558609664-png.48383

There was no one close other than offensive linemen. If we were placing our hopes for Onwenu to chase him down, even if Jones had held him a little longer, obviously that's not likely. And there was no one, save for maybe Hunter Henry, who was even close enough speed-wise after that to stop it.

Again, the fact people are mad at Mac about this is a little unfair. I wouldn't have been mad at Brady back in the day either, because a QB's body isn't made for making a tackle and the risk of injury isn't worth it. If it's between your QB and a defensive end a the end of a game, something has clearly gone terribly bad enough where you deserve to lose. And that's - unfortunately - what happened :(
Mac is slow like AC Earle

When I was a kid, I drove my Flexible Flyer into a pine tree, knocked myself silly. The only sort of "tackle" Mac might have made on Chandler would be in the nature of a reenactment of my sledding mishap.

Reactions: Ian
Anyone expecting Mac to make that tackle clearly has never... Watched football? It's like the perfect mismatch. Chandler Jones not only has 40lb on him, but he isn't like a slow DT that is at risk of falling over if you screw up his running motion. It's a well-balanced monster coming in your direction.
He also has the hgt and arm leangth , he makes jones look like a midget. Jones cant get close to jones

Only chance he had was to launch his body low and cut him down. Smaller cbs and safeties have to use this vs the Stevenson’s and Henry’s of the league. They’ve spent most of their life practicing tackle techniques. To expect your qb to do it is insane.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back