PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones...PFF Rookie of the Week

Not surprising at all. Lots of rookies didn't look good like Jaycee Horn for Carolina. Top 10 pick looked lost vs a bad Jets offense.

Imagine how much better Mac will look with time and more of a flow where there isn't constant penalties?

Not surprising at all. Lots of rookies didn't look good like Jaycee Horn for Carolina. Top 10 pick looked lost vs a bad Jets offense.

Imagine how much better Mac will look with time and more of a flow where there isn't constant penalties?
Horn wasn’t bad at all, actually. He was targeted 4 times. Gave up 2 catches for 18 yards & a TD. The game will hopefully slow down for him & he’ll improve.

Horn wasn’t bad at all, actually. He was targeted 4 times. Gave up 2 catches for 18 yards & a TD. The game will hopefully slow down for him & he’ll improve.

horn was the best press man corner to come out of college last year. He is going to be an all pro.

I really wanted us to draft draft him, but knew he was going earlier than 15!

horn was the best press man corner to come out of college last year. He is going to be an all pro.

I really wanted us to draft draft him, but knew he was going earlier than 15!
One of a long line of very good Gamecock DBs

It's the Jets and he didn't draw Corey Davis. If he did that against the Jets best WR, then sure. I would have zero interest in having Joe Horn's kid on this team. That's like saying I'd want Asante Samuel's son on this team. Red flags everywhere in terms of selfishness and contract problems later on.

Last edited:
Imagine drafting a non-QB in the top 10 - despite there being two high potential ones - when your QB is Sam Darnold.

Imagine drafting a non-QB in the top 10 - despite there being two high potential ones - when your QB is Sam Darnold.
I'm with you. I'm in the camp where you have to keep taking swings till you hit a home run when it comes to the QB position, it's the most important in all of sports.

Worst case of over drafting would be you have the cast off i.e. Darnold available as trade bait. It seems you can always find someone else who buys the hype and needs a QB bad enough to give you good return on investment even for a swing and a miss like Darnold.

And a corollary is if you're going to spend draft capital on QB, you also gotta favor developing the offense over the defense, and in particular protecting the QB. It makes no sense to me to draft a QB then get him killed physically or mentally because you can't protect him.

Yet it seems our GOAT Coach and GM isn't really in my camp. I'm fully convinced he was OK with Cam as starter this season, even though he signed him to a contract that made it easy to cut him. He signed Cam before the draft and we can see he was committed to not using draft capital to move up and get a QB, so it says to me he was OK with drafting BPA and if that wasn't a QB he was going to go with Cam and try to win with a ground and pound offense and be in position to get a better QB next off season.

So it's been a real rocket ride for me this off season, wanting one thing yet being prepared for something very different. I'm very pleased with where we ended up, with a very promising young QB, our draft capital still in place, talent added via FA and covid returns, good cap space for next year, and Cam doing his preening on Instagram instead of our post-game show.

I'm with you. I'm in the camp where you have to keep taking swings till you hit a home run when it comes to the QB position, it's the most important in all of sports.

Worst case of over drafting would be you have the cast off i.e. Darnold available as trade bait. It seems you can always find someone else who buys the hype and needs a QB bad enough to give you good return on investment even for a swing and a miss like Darnold.

And a corollary is if you're going to spend draft capital on QB, you also gotta favor developing the offense over the defense, and in particular protecting the QB. It makes no sense to me to draft a QB then get him killed physically or mentally because you can't protect him.

Yet it seems our GOAT Coach and GM isn't really in my camp. I'm fully convinced he was OK with Cam as starter this season, even though he signed him to a contract that made it easy to cut him. He signed Cam before the draft and we can see he was committed to not using draft capital to move up and get a QB, so it says to me he was OK with drafting BPA and if that wasn't a QB he was going to go with Cam and try to win with a ground and pound offense and be in position to get a better QB next off season.

So it's been a real rocket ride for me this off season, wanting one thing yet being prepared for something very different. I'm very pleased with where we ended up, with a very promising young QB, our draft capital still in place, talent added via FA and covid returns, good cap space for next year, and Cam doing his preening on Instagram instead of our post-game show.
Agree, but you have to ask what kind of skill set do you value. A lot of these teams don't look for what BB looks for. I think that is the huge difference and the fact so many of these teams are so poorly run, that plays into BB's hands as a GM. How on earth someone can sell me on Zach Wilson or Trey Lance as better prospects than what Mac Jones did, 1 year removed from #1 overall Joe Burrow out of the SEC, is beyond me.

BBs scouting report with the Browns on his ideal QB is out there and it hasn't changed in 30 years.

Darnold had a down senior year, as did Wilson, comparably to his season prior, and that would be a massive red flag to me, but a team like the Jets just continue to do opposite things that BB would do. It's like clockwork. It's the very definition of insanity.

If you need to roll out or bootleg constantly vs teams like Costal Carolina, Navy, Troy, Texas-San Antonio, Texas State, etc. I mean, it's laughable. And on top of that, Trey Lance goes #3 and has no idea how to read a Div 2 defense. All his plays were way downfield off of broken run plays or scrambling around. Again, nice arm, but what else?

You need more than an arm and athleticism to play QB in this league. There's a reason beyond the Jets OL not being great as to why Wilson took 6 sacks and had an INT and numerous dropped INTs. He plays small and is skittish in the pocket, unlike Mac who stands in and shuffels up and around in the pocket instead.

As for Cam, I think it was just who was available and the best competitor he could have on the cheap to drive competition with Jones. I laughed all summer when BB kept saying Cam was his "QB1". It mean nothing, as BB always rewards production and consistency, and by all accounts Mac was progressing as fast as Stidham was in 2019, before the pandemic came into play.

The pandemic hit and BB didn't even draft a QB, which was odd considering their cap position and the fact there weren't any other veteran QBs around to push Stidham. Stidham already beat out Hoyer, which isn't hard to do. But, he needed someone to push a prospect and Newton was the best choice. I get it, but BB used Newton and Newton used the Pats. I am ok with that because I think it worked.

Meanwhile, Wilson was handed the job and voted captain. I wonder if mommy approves? I bet Wilson wasn't even on NE's draft board.

Last edited:
I think Mac gets OROY and DROY too
Fields Medal as well. Once he got board from learning the Patriots offensive playbook in 5 minutes, he got a job as a night janitor at MIT and randomly started solving for tree structures and finding adjacencies in a matrix.

Last edited:
Fields Medal as well. Once he got board from learning the Patriots offensive playbook in 5 minutes, he got a job as a night janitor at MIT and randomly started solving for tree structures and finding adjacencies in a matrix.
Obviously the Nobel Prize is the next step

Guys, Mac isn't a scientist, he's a performing artist. It's EGOT time.

And he was seen shouting at some snooty Havhad guy, "How do you like dem apples!" along with a hot babe's number.....

His Masters Degree and 4.0 GPA says he's a Master of Science
Not exactly a neuroscience major but I do believe hes a smart guy.

Jones earned his undergraduate degree in communication studies with an unblemished 4.0 grade-point average in December 2019. A year later, he completed his master’s degree in sport hospitality, also with a 4.0 GPA.

And he was seen shouting at some snooty Havhad guy, "How do you like dem apples!" along with a hot babe's number.....
Look.... if you're still living here, coming over my house watchin' Patriots games working construction i'll f___kin' kill you. That's not a threat. That's a fact. I'll f__kin' kill you...

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back