PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones 2021 Season Tracker: 3801 Yards, 22TD, 13INT

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's definitely promising but come on. comparing the first couple of games to all time greats first couple of games to project anything is a big stretch. Maybe you're just joking. Winston was on pace to throw 85 touchdowns after his first 4 quarters of play this year. Humor me :)
Yeah people like to do that. Oh look he has the same stats John Elway did in hsi first two games. He will be John Elway. lol. Always hated that crap.

I would like to see him throw the ball deeper and make more big plays. But how much of it is Mac Jones himself and how much of it is the shaky OL play and McDaniels wanting to go conservative with him.

Tom Curran said he made big plays all preseason and training camp. So it's not like he can't.

I would like to see him throw the ball deeper and make more big plays. But how much of it is Mac Jones himself and how much of it is the shaky OL play and McDaniels wanting to go conservative with him.

Tom Curran said he made big plays all preseason and training camp. So it's not like he can't.

Exactly.

Some of these clips showing Mac 'missed' an open guy are bullsh-t. You can see his OLine sucks and he is about to be hit. You can't count a guy who maybe gets open a second later, but Mac has to take a vicious hit to do it, as a missed play. This is crappy play calling and revionist analysis. This is why I was hesitant to throw a rookie in this year, you have a bad OLine and an oc who insists on calling shotgun leaving Mac exposed to a ton of hits and blitzes. If Mac gets spooked by all the open blitzers he will be permanently ruined by thic oc.

Exactly.

Some of these clips showing Mac 'missed' an open guy are bullsh-t. You can see his OLine sucks and he is about to be hit. You can't count a guy who maybe gets open a second later, but Mac has to take a vicious hit to do it, as a missed play. This is crappy play calling and revionist analysis. This is why I was hesitant to throw a rookie in this year, you have a bad OLine and an oc who insists on calling shotgun leaving Mac exposed to a ton of hits and blitzes. If Mac gets spooked by all the open blitzers he will be permanently ruined by thic oc.
This is really a silly take.

This is really a silly take.

Look at the clips being shown. Those are not missed throws by Mac. The right tackle is a sieve. Mac has good reason to get the ball out fast. You can't count plays where it only works if your QB takes a big hit. That's a sh-tty play.

Look at the clips being shown. Those are not missed throws by Mac. The right tackle is a sieve. Mac has good reason to get the ball out fast. You can't count plays where it only works if your QB takes a big hit. That's a sh-tty play.
Although I agree the issues with the OL (not just RT either) are concerning, if a 23 yo NFL QB can't sit in the pocket to complete a TD pass maybe playing in the NFL isn't for him.

Come on man, this is football. He had 3 easy passes to open receivers for TDs in that game and didn't take the shot. That's concerning. If Cam would've had those looks, this forum would've skewered and roasted him.

Although I agree the issues with the OL (not just RT either) are concerning, if a 23 yo NFL QB can't sit in the pocket to complete a TD pass maybe playing in the NFL isn't for him.

Come on man, this is football. He had 3 easy passes to open receivers for TDs in that game and didn't take the shot. That's concerning. If Cam would've had those looks, this forum would've skewered and roasted him.

What's more concerning is a rookie QB under constant attack that he's possibly becoming mentally gunshy. This would be the worst possible QB developmental outcome from our overrated oc and a bad OLine. Mac took 9 hits in week1 and that's way too many. You can't blame the QB if the play itself doesn't even work unless the QB keeps taking hits. That's just sh-tty play design.

What's more concerning is a rookie QB under constant attack that he's possibly becoming mentally gunshy. This would be the worst possible QB developmental outcome from our overrated oc and a bad OLine. Mac took 9 hits in week1 and that's way too many. You can't blame the QB if the play itself doesn't even work unless the QB keeps taking hits. That's just sh-tty play design.

Yea they have to fix the OL, no doubt. Brown out again today. Wynn hasn't been playing well (miss Thuney? ). It's a problem.

Yea they have to fix the OL, no doubt. Brown out again today. Wynn hasn't been playing well (miss Thuney? ). It's a problem.

Agree. If the Pats don't have enough blockers or the RT keeps getting burned, the right read is get that ball out fast. If anything it points to the idiocy of an oc who refuses to adequately protect his rookie QB in the play calls. The 2 clips I've seen where Mac supposedly 'missed' an open guy, he was about to be hit so that was just sh-tty play call design. Absolutely cannot expect your QB to only make throws that require always taking a free hit.

Mac 18 QB pressures week3. 11 QB hits. Had to 6 rush times. Zero time to even set his feet.

Bourne: "he looks like a baby Tom [Brady]. Like, that’s what’s my opinion is. So it’s just good to see his growth and hopefully he continues to grow that way.”

McCourty: “I think the best thing about it is we’re not thinking about it. We’re not worried about the kid. He’s been preparing. I mean, the guy’s in here late, he’s in here early, every day. He’s one of the guys now. Like we don’t see him as a rookie,” McCourty said. “We honestly expect him to lead, we expect him to be our quarterback. And I think that speaks volumes about how far he’s grown since he’s been here. He has everybody’s trust in that locker room.”

Henry: "“The kid is dialed in, man,” Henry said. “He’s continued to get better. Like Kendrick said, he’s super poised and handles himself tremendously. He never is down, never is too up, he stays very even keeled throughout the game and he’s only going to continue to get better. That was a big-time game right there and I feel like he handled himself like a veteran, like he’s been there before. He’s just going to continue to grow. I’m proud of how he played, how he communicated, and how he executed out there.”

Mac week4 highlights.

1. Mac just tied the all time rookie record with Joe Burrow for most completions ever in their first 5 NFL starts.
2. Mac has completed over 73% of game passing attempts in 4 of his first 5 games now.
3. Mac's 19 straight completions last week I believe tied the all time nfl record.

Belichick quote below on Mac after the Texans where Mac earned his first come from behind win and came back from down 13 points late in the 3rd quarter.

Belichick: "Mac gave it to us all day. I thought we moved the ball. I thought he made a lot of good decisions. There were some checks that he had to make that he made throughout the day, but really the last drive was a third down conversion to Hunter and then we had a couple good runs in there. But yeah, Mac's been good for us all year in terms of his leadership, his resilience, and kind of always counting on him to do the right thing, and you know, he really does it at a high level, so it's been impressive."

Last edited:
Mac Jones, every week5 throw:

He didn't die with that OLine - this is great news! Might've spilled some fruit punch on his shirt.

1633970046874.png

He didn't die with that OLine - this is great news! Might've spilled some fruit punch on his shirt.

View attachment 36509

It was a matter of time. Fresh out of college now already wearing a leg brace on his left leg, now bleeding chin blood all over his jersey. Sideline reporters said he was limping on the sidelines. Kid is tough as nails. Will be closely watching to see if the same oc ruins him the same way this oc ruined Sam Bradford in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes